Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Blastfrog

I can't get this proxy program to work.

So, I need to use a proxy for a specific application (an online game, I don't need a proxy for anything else), and my friend recommended "Free Hide IP", which he uses for the same game, and it works for him. When I try to use the same program, the application that I'm trying to use it with still goes through my normal IP for some reason.

Both my friend and I have static IPs. I don't know why it's working for him, but not me.

Any suggestions for alternate software, or how I could get it to work?

Technician said:

With Canada's recent recording and surveillance policies inevitably coming into action, I'm looking into proxy.

I didn't hear about this. That's pretty scary. I thought that Canada was above that stuff, guess I was wrong.

Still, the reason I'm looking into proxying is to evade a rather unfair ban on a BYOND engine game. The reason for the ban was "having an unfunny character name", which was "Dumb Ass". The ban is 35 days long. There were no rules against it on the server, and I always played by their rules, so one of the admins was just being an ass.

My friend on the other hand, was evading a legit ban, because he was running around blowing the place up. I don't do anything of that sort, though.

I tried some free VPN, and it did work, but it was incredibly slow, and BYOND was unable to connect. Really though, how can I my system to cooperate with Hide My IP? That, or what are some alternative programs that serve the same function?

Before anyone thinks I play crappy games, I hate BYOND and most of the games on it (it all seems very noob ridden to me), but the only game I play on it is actually not that bad, and the devs are porting it to a better engine at some point anyway.

I don't think many are going to help you when you just admitted to ban-evasion, no matter what kind of story (truth or not) you say...

I have the opposite problem. I want to be a proxy for my friend. He had the misfortune of having iTunes remove the apps from his phone while he's staying in the UK. The UK App store doesn't have the free version of Scrabble and it's been his turn for three weeks. It's annoying me. I need to do some more digging into this.

chungy said:

I don't think many are going to help you when you just admitted to ban-evasion, no matter what kind of story (truth or not) you say...

Hey, I'm not going to lie about my reasons for doing this. And I swear by what I said that the ban was unjustified, as it was for a harmless and extremely minor "offense" (having a stupid character name and literally nothing else). My intentions are only to play the game normally, not to grief like my friend was doing.

All I want to know is how to to get my system to cooperate to reroute internet traffic (for at least for one application) through this proxy program, so the thing will work properly, regardless of my reasons. Can someone please give some pointers of removing whatever roadblocks in my system could be causing this, even if you're against my reasons? It doesn't affect you, nor anyone here or in any related communities in any way. Besides, it could help other people that see this thread than just me.

I'm not sure it's the wisest thing to use a proxy program for the purpose of ban-evading. There are probably other markers than your IP address that identify you, so that temporary ban may turn into a permanent one if they notice a banned account is playing on their servers.

Just take your ban like an adult and don't be an idiot again.

Aliotroph? said:

He had the misfortune of having iTunes remove the apps from his phone while he's staying in the UK.

This is absurd. Why do people use Apple products when they pull shit like this?

Soda, have you tried e-mailing the staff to appeal the ban? It seems to be a minor offense, I'm sure if the administrators are reasonable you could get a second chance.

Otherwise, you'll just have to deal with it. Privately-owned game severs are not democratic and usage is a privilege, not a right.

Aliotroph? said:

I have the opposite problem. I want to be a proxy for my friend. He had the misfortune of having iTunes remove the apps from his phone while he's staying in the UK. The UK App store doesn't have the free version of Scrabble and it's been his turn for three weeks. It's annoying me. I need to do some more digging into this.

...and people wonder why I won't buy anything from iTunes.

Seeing as though nobody's been helpful and have been overly moralistic, I won't bother trying to get help for this in this thread anymore. At this point, I'm just going to play on the second most popular set of servers instead until the ban expires.

If anyone still knows how to fix the problem of the program not doing it's job, and willing to help regardless of moral stances on the reasons behind it, help would still be accepted. Regardless, I'm not looking for it anymore, but feel free to if you want.

Marcaek said:

Soda, have you tried e-mailing the staff to appeal the ban? It seems to be a minor offense, I'm sure if the administrators are reasonable you could get a second chance.

I feel that your response is the most reasonable in the thread. I did consider it as my first option, but I don't think it's worth trying. The reason is that it's run by SA forum goons, and they would probably defend the ban anyway just because they don't care. Maybe I shouldn't be so quick to judge their personalities, but I don't feel that great about SA users, and my suspicions are probably right.

Hell, I wouldn't even care about this at all, but the problem is that they're the only good servers, the rest don't have as many features or players. Still, while the other servers might not be as good as the goon servers, they're close enough, and will do for now.