Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mk3Howitzer

Colors changing.

I'm not to sure what happened, I don't know that much.

But I added a few custom textures, (and by custom i mean simply color changed a few other textures), using slade and they worked fine for the entire while of testing.

Now they're all darkblue, gritty or faded to gray IN game, not in editor.

The only change to my computer I think could have done this is my new (sorta) video card. I've heard that it could cause doom related complications.

I have a few screen shots if that helps.

Ty for any help in advance.

Doom has a special 256-color palette that it uses for everything. It's not uniform, but suited for the original graphics. You'll have to do some trial and error recoloring to find out what works well. Deep blues and subtle gradients are no good.

If you're using the 8-bit software renderer, you're limited to the 256 colors designated in the palette, which is in the PLAYPAL lump in Doom2.wad. You can create a modified palette to put in your wad, with the type of blue gradient you want instead of the original blue.

I know of those issues ;s, the only thing that seems to be the error here is that they WERE working in game, perfectly well-then I changed video cards-how would I go about fixing that (while keeping this video card)

mk3Howitzer said:

I know of those issues ;s, the only thing that seems to be the error here is that they WERE working in game, perfectly well-then I changed video cards-how would I go about fixing that (while keeping this video card)

Ah, you use GZDoom? I guess after you changed video card, it couldn't init OpenGL settings anymore and fell back to software mode.

In the console, type vid_renderer 1. Then quit, and restart. Does it work now? If you type just "vid_renderer" in the console after that, does it tell you 0 or 1?

You said the textures were working fine in the editor. The editor doesn't use the Doom palette, just regular 16/24 bit color.

Alright, in GZdoom when i open up Doom 2, type vid_renderer, it says 0.

When I type vid_renderer 1, it says something about restarting gzdoom and such.

When i Restart and type vid_renderer it comes up at 0 again.

Not sure if im doing something wrong.

No change in my maps textures bugging out in game when tested.

And yeah to clarify, the textures DO work, they worked for months of testing, they ceased to work ingame after switching my video card :s

Yeah, if the renderer remains the software one, it means OpenGL didn't successfully init.

Make a text file called autoexec.cfg in the directory where you have the GZDoom executable.

Paste this in it:

logfile log.txt
Now, redo the "vid_renderer 1" -> quit -> restart routine. After that, paste the content of log.txt here. It should have captured the error messages sent when OpenGL failed.

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m193/PBP-94H/logfile.png

Is this right? It doesnt seem to do anything.
I'm not even completely sure what I'm supposed to be doing other than opening gzdoom and typing vid_renderer / vid_renderer 1

At one point it DID come out to 1 instead of 0, but that was in doom 2, when i open my map through doom builder, it says vid_renderer is set to 0. And all the textures are still messed up.

A few side notes are: I can't open my map through the actual wad, only by Testing it through doom builder, probably because I have this map set to map 8 simply because of music reasons/first mapping experiments, I'm not sure, it hadn't stopped me from working so I left it alone.

Another note being exactly 50% of the time I attempt to open up gzdoom, whether it be through doom builder test mode or opening up a wad, it fails to open, it will ALWAYS work the second time i attempt to do either. This never happened pre-video card switch.

Nothing ever showed up in the log file text, so I'm still not sure if thats correct. I also attempted to re-install gzdoom, to no avail.

mk3Howitzer said:

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m193/PBP-94H/logfile.png

Is this right? It doesnt seem to do anything.

You mean you don't get a file named log.txt whenever you run GZDoom?

Ideally, you'd get something like this outputted in log.txt:

Log started: Fri Mar 02 00:05:34 2012

W_Init: Init WADfiles.
 adding gzdoom.pk3, 573 lumps
 adding doom2.wad, 2919 lumps
I_Init: Setting up machine state.
CPU Speed: 1995 MHz
CPU Vendor ID: GenuineIntel
  Name: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P7350 @ 2.00GHz
  Family 6, Model 23, Stepping 6
  Features: MMX SSE SSE2 SSE3 SSSE3 SSE4.1
I_InitSound: Initializing FMOD
FMOD Sound System, copyright © Firelight Technologies Pty, Ltd., 1994-2009.
Loaded FMOD version 4.26.10
V_Init: allocate screen.
S_Init: Setting up sound.
ST_Init: Init startup screen.
Checking cmd-line parameters...
G_ParseMapInfo: Load map definitions.
S_InitData: Load sound definitions.
Texman.Init: Init texture manager.
ParseTeamInfo: Load team definitions.
LoadActors: Load actor definitions.
R_Init: Init Doom refresh subsystem.
DecalLibrary: Load decals.
M_Init: Init menus.
P_Init: Init Playloop state.
ParseSBarInfo: Loading default status bar definition.
ParseSBarInfo: Loading custom status bar definition.
D_CheckNetGame: Checking network game status.
player 1 of 1 (1 nodes)
I_InitInput
I_StartupMouse
I_StartupKeyboard
I_StartupXInput
I_StartupRawPS2
I_StartupDirectInputJoystick
GL_VENDOR: NVIDIA Corporation
GL_RENDERER: GeForce 9600M GT/PCI/SSE2
GL_VERSION: 3.1.0
GL_SHADING_LANGUAGE_VERSION: 1.40 NVIDIA via Cg compiler
GL_EXTENSIONS: GL_ARB_color_buffer_float <snip very long list> WGL_EXT_swap_control 
Max. texture units: 32
Max. fragment uniforms: 2048
Max. vertex uniforms: 4096
Max. varying: 60
Max. combined uniforms: 198656
Max. combined uniform blocks: 36
Support for non power 2 textures enabled.
Occlusion query enabled.
Resolution: 800 x 600
The important part is where it says "GL_VENDOR" and the other GL_ stuff. Obviously, that happens to me because it works. On your computer, you should get instead an error message that might help explain why you don't get OpenGL rendering.