Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
qoncept

Secret sectors you have to find

I've just been reading through the Hell Revealed levels on the wiki and read at least a few where the exit is tagged as a secret. The end of Dead Simple in Doom II is, too.

My question is, why would anyone ever do that?

Probably so players don't see "0% Secrets" in the end tally of a level that doesn't have any, and think there was stuff they missed finding.

In vanilla Doom, there was no ingame message announcing when you find a secret, so one could be stuck in the exit or wherever without it mattering.

esselfortium said:

Probably so players don't see "0% Secrets" in the end tally of a level that doesn't have any, and think there was stuff they missed finding.

I second that. HR was much better in this respect than MM/MM2/Requiem, as well as all the IWADs, with numerous maps with no secrets or secrets which could not be registered (thus no obtainable 100%).

There's a secret on map04 near the red key that doesn't really make sense. I suppose you could turn around and backtrack... but it's not that secretive to drop down and teleport after getting the red key.

There's a secret sector in Doom 2 in MAP07 that you find after you go on the stairs that raise when you kill all of the enemies in the map.

There's also a secret sector in Alien Vendetta in MAP30 that you find after you enter the building in front of you before you get to the final boss.

Here's what I don't get. Maps in which you get a whole bunch of secrets together. You find the initial secret and then almost every step you take triggers another secret, even though all you're doing is walking up some stairs or moving forward. You don't see this in many maps (thank God) but it's annoying as hell and I don't understand why it's done.

It's not done on purpose. The mapper probably made a secret sector than split it into additional sectors. The editor will copy the secret flag properties from the "mother" sector and the mapper has obviously forgotten to remove it.

@Hellbent - I always wondered about that MAP04 secret too...

esselfortium said:

I'm assuming this goes for kills and secrets as well. It's the worst thing about Kssht and Base Ganymede in particular.

Hellbent said:

There's a secret on map04 near the red key that doesn't really make sense. I suppose you could turn around and backtrack... but it's not that secretive to drop down and teleport after getting the red key.

I'll admit I somehow missed that teleporter the first few times I played the level, so it makes sense for it to be tagged secret to me.

In MAP27, players won't get %100 secrets normally whatever they did. One of the teleport pads is marked as a secret.

purist said:

It's not done on purpose. The mapper probably made a secret sector than split it into additional sectors. The editor will copy the secret flag properties from the "mother" sector and the mapper has obviously forgotten to remove it.

Maybe it is done on purpose to make certain secret (i.e. harder to find) worth more.