Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Amaster

My stupid ZDoom rant

Be warned, this is just some pointless at venting because I had to go all the way to my school just to pick up a silly financial aid form. Feel free to yell at me for it.

Is it just me, or do the graphics in ZDoom look really grainy, actually worse than normal doom. I'm running it at 800 x 600 and I still find that I have troube identifying distant objects. Am I,like, doing something wrong? And what is "Austin Virtual Gaming Mode" (im using the ZDoom launcher)? And why did Id design doom 2 as one continuous episode unlike the original doom. That upset me the first time I played it (for no understandable reason).

Thats al I have for now.

Assmaster said:

Is it just me, or do the graphics in ZDoom look really grainy, actually worse than normal doom. I'm running it at 800 x 600 and I still find that I have troube identifying distant objects. Am I,like, doing something wrong?

"Austin Virtual Gaming." Automatically advances to the next
level after 20 minutes. This is equivalent to +set timelimit 20 or
-timer 20.

Liam the Bard said:

I do use Legacy (and JDoom) but I had to switch to ZDoom for Alien Vendetta (The whole map 20 thing)

I play zdoom in 320x200 and it looks fine to me... try lowering the brightness a little, that usually makes it look better.

About doom2 as a continuous episode, I think it's great. Othervise we wouldn't have such great things as 30nm runs.

I think you have a problem, Assguy, because zdoom looks FAR better than doom2.exe on every computer I've used it on. Some things such as monsters and scenery sprites are "pixely" and that does not improve with higher resolution modes. The general floor/ceiling flats and wall textures are much improved in 800x600 vs. standard doom2.exe resolution.

pritch said:

my new doom port will be played with TEXT CHARACTERS

Heh, I can see it now. pos.exe -file thisportsucks.wad

This GLQuake port makes everything look like it's pencil-drawn. It's a pretty cool effect, though it really needs polygonal models so it wouldn't work well with Doom's sprites. You should check it out if you still play Quake, though.

Biffy said:

I think you have a problem, Assguy, because zdoom looks FAR better than doom2.exe on every computer I've used it on. Some things such as monsters and scenery sprites are "pixely" and that does not improve with higher resolution modes. The general floor/ceiling flats and wall textures are much improved in 800x600 vs. standard doom2.exe resolution.[/B]

Especially when you first run Zdoom, the colors then are screwed, splashed. (<-Not quite sure how to describe it accurately, but I believe everyone has been there already) Besides, enlarging the resolution of the screen doesn't make a very HUGE difference to me. It might look a bit clearer, however, the colors in doom2.exe look way much better than Zdoom. Erik is probably right about that brightness might somehow affect how it results, however, Zdoom's sound system and other quakish craps, except its mouse sensitvity, they are all OWNT by Vanilla Doom executive.

I run Zdoom (1.23b33) and jDoom at the same resolution as my desktop, and Zdoom's graphics look better than normal doom(2).exe's graphics.

BTW, i can run AV map20 with jDoom if i don't have .GWA file builded.

FlatHead said:

You could try using ZDoomGL. It's hardware-accelerated, plenty fast and buggier than deadnail's matress.

Oh quicherbitchin', those're YOUR pants rabbits.

Yes, ZDoom1.22 was very grainy. After being spoilt by a rewritten renderer in the 1.23 betas, I went back to 1.22 to have a look at something. I quit almost immediately. ZDoom (1.23 betas) and VaVoom have the best software renderes out there IMO.