Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Katamori

What are you playing now?

I'm playing Ultimate Doom once again with the updated version of Scoredoom. (The one with the new shotgun altfires)

The altfires are definitely for either those bullet sponge enemies or large groups of the weaker enemies in case you need to conserve the chaingun ammo.

Still working on STRAIN. About to start map24. It's been interesting to contrast my reactions to the levels with those in kmxexii's review :)

I'm also working my way through the original Quake for the first time - only played the shareware when it originally came out - and have reached episode 4. I also just installed Rage, so there's a lot of iD on my PC right now!

Oh, and I played the first two levels of DTWID, which I enjoyed a lot. I'll go back to that when I get the chance.

Oh, hey, the aw in crowroadaw must be you! Thank you for the MAP15 clarification and for reading; that's pretty much why I made the blog in the first place.

Content: Dark Deity's Bastion was another fun play from Vordakk. It's nice to see him move away from the monotypic monster packs to more complex encounters. The puzzles were kind of fun, particularly the famine wing and that ridiculous war fight.

Voodoo Guns was pretty awesome. I wasn't initially sold on the dramatic buildup in the first map but returning and seeing those huge spires jutting out of the ground really stirred my imagination. The only big bottleneck was the silver key, but that's what you get when you're not situated to an author's style of puzzles. The ghost town was a bit of a different experience with all the gunmen but that underground segment was very neat, including one legitimate shock that got me.

played through basically the first half of Jenesis a few days ago. It's been fun and tough at times. I have a pretty good feel for Jimmy's style of map flow, which with some major exceptions (the cool highway map for one) involves restricted access that gives way to more fluid movement as you explore and conquer. He also loves putting you in encounters you can't run from, either from drop-offs or one-way doors. Overall, I'm enjoying it!

Also, I'm stoked for soon finishing all the 2011 recommendations (and about again as many works I added besides the fact). Gonna hit the major stuff from 2012 so far and then plow through 1998. I must say, it'll be good to get back to the classics. I have a list of stuff from '94-'98 I want to play before I hit '99-'00, but with a little research I've found even more stuff, which I suppose I'll save for another archive run. Basically, the title of my blog is Doomed because I may never be able to play all the wonderful things this community has to offer.

kmxexii said:

Oh, hey, the aw in crowroadaw must be you!

Correct. I'm either Capellan or crowroadaw pretty much everywhere I go on the net, depending on which is available.

If 3x-play.wad and diamonds.wad aren't in your list of 94-98 material, you should add them. They're both by Bill McClendon, and they're good stuff.

Capellan said:

Correct. I'm either Capellan or crowroadaw pretty much everywhere I go on the net, depending on which is available.

If 3x-play.wad and diamonds.wad aren't in your list of 94-98 material, you should add them. They're both by Bill McClendon, and they're good stuff.

I knew about 3x-play and the description had me intrigued, but I hadn't seen diamonds before. No rest for the living...

I blew through Episode 3 of UDoom on Scoredoom, despite a slow start at E3M1.

Edit: The supershotty altfire's damn useful for taking down those particularly-annoying enemy replacements. (Hades Elemental and Phantom, to name a few.)

Edit 2: Knocked Episode 4 down, and yeah, it was brutal at the start.

Triplet II seems quite large for a Reverie map, it has to be said. Then again, as three Reverie maps it feels about right. Finally got this review under way! Time really hasn't been on /newstuff's side where I'm concerned.

Finished UAC Ultra in under two or so hours on Scoredoom, giving the usual fuck-you nuke to the boss brain thingy at Map11.

Started playing Base Ganymede, and I gotta say I'm really enjoying it. Each map I've played is very action packed, and its fairly difficult (especially for a ultimate doom megawad).

I finished Deus Vult two hours ago. I'm thinking of what else to tackle.

Edit: I recently finished Vanguard again.

Finished Strain. Yay me! Also knocked over a big chunk of Rage, as well. Though that's less relevant to this board :)

I'll probably return to DTWID next.

Zero Tolerance and Brutal Doom.The best of the best weapon mods.I'm playing them with megawads such as scythe,with sonic mayhem playing in the background.Awesome experience!

Just beat Reverie again. I'll write my review tomorrow as my eyes are blurring from having been up too long though.

I beat Plutonia Revisited Community Project. Pretty awesome megawad, and although I like Plutonia 2 better, this megawad is more faithful to the original. The only thing that was missing is the traditional Map29 city level that both the original and Plutonia 2 shared. Otherwise, PRCP is pretty good, and after a short break I might do another round, getting 100% secrets and beat the levels in a possible shorter time.

T-Rex said:

The only thing that was missing is the traditional Map29 city level that both the original and Plutonia 2 shared.

And map11 viles maze.
BTW i am playing some slaughterfest maps (2011 and 12)

Playing DARKGAT2.WAD, and 8-level short episode from 1994 found in Maximum Doom.

Ancalagon said:

And map11 viles maze.

Um, PRCP's Map11 was the traditional Arch-Vile maze that we saw in the Map11 of the other two Plutonia megawads, just that it's got other monsters in it as well.

I guess while I'm on my break from PRCP, I'll play the six Master Levels outtakes by Chris Klie.

Did Christmas Tree for /newstuff and now I'm on to Khorus' Speedy Shit, which I already know I like. Just need to set aside about 3 hours or so to get it done!

First real stab at completing Sunder Map 10 "Hag's Finger" on UV. Its insane, but immense. Took a break 600 kills in.

After deciding that I'm 2lame4 Talosian Incident (I'll try again some other time maybe), I downloaded this DuuM II Super TC:
http://www.doomwadstation.com/main/d2super.html

Hell yeah! Now this is more my style. :D

Unfortunately the author seems to have given up on the follow-up DuuM II Ultra TC, since his website hasn't been updated since 2006.

Finished Scythe2. Great wad, excellent use of new textures, not too hard and neither too simple. Last level was simply....MONSTROUS!!! And red marines are really hard to hit, they dodge 99% of your attacks

Finished Jenesis. Very cool Boom mapset with a heavy Plutonia vibe, though with a few exceptions I'd say it's a little easier (the very Savage Abyss). Oh, and MAP29, which is hitscanner Hell. I also went and played the final maps from parts 1 and 2, which are actually pretty fun boss shooters.

Edit: Played ALOHA4U2 from Alamain. It's cool that he's still making maps since '94, even if he's sprinkled some certain death traps here and there and laid out some bizarre encounters, like the baron / megasphere pillars. You'd better expect to do a lot of berserk fisting, though. Also, no SSG that I could find.

Just got two-and-a-half more maps to play of Khorus' Speedy Shit and then I can write my review of it. That'll be a last-minute thing slotted into tomorrow somewhere.

Finished MAP10 of Sunder on UV after much saving and restarting. Great stuff.

The map has 2430 monsters, but virtually all the monsters are revenants, pain elementals and harder, so it feels like 24300. The countless loss souls roaming around the open map due to a couple of swarms of pain elementals were always a constant pain (heh).