Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
doom_marine666

What is your most hated demon in Doom?

DoomCup said:

Shotgun zombies. They are so damn annoying.

what makes them really annoying to me is how unpredictable they behave at times. you open a door and before it's even open you have eaten some buckshot. next time you run into them, they just try to walk away or miss.

anyway, i think many players hate being killed by lower tier enemies, like chaingunners and shotgun guys, especially since they're hitscan and dodging doesn't help much.

Torr Samaho said:

what makes them really annoying to me is how unpredictable they behave at times. you open a door and before it's even open you have eaten some buckshot. next time you run into them, they just try to walk away or miss.

That's one of the reasons I prefer -fast. At least they are more predictable that way. They will take aim and shoot as soon as they see you. If they hit you, you know it's your fault for not shooting back in time, it is not just because the RNG favoured them on that occasion.

Monster: Archvile
Why: Impossible to dodge it's attack without some kind of wall between you and him, attack range is infinite, does a medium amount of damage, and move's at a fast rate.

To legitimately answer the question, I'll go ahead and say that I officially hate none of the monsters from Doom. When I started mapping, I absolutely despised Pain Elementals and Lost Souls, but as time went on, I saw how even they could be placed cleverly in a map. I've gained a lot of respect for this game's bestiary from playing Doom, recording or even just watching demos, and mapping.

That being said, I do mean what I said about hating anything that hangs and blocks the player... Mostly because some mappers won't test in PrBoom+ and miss the fact that they block player movement.

phobosdeimos1 said:

Definitely Revenants, although the cracking sound when you kill them is satisfying!

Cracking sound? Sounds more like a bone rattling sound to me.

Maes said:

Lost souls pretty much cover the Goddamned Bats role in Doom, so they needs no further explanation.

The Lost Souls in Doom3 are a big improvement over the original ones in this aspect, they don't belong to the "Goddamn Bats" category anymore. Not hard to kill, but dangerous nontheless if you don't kill them quickly.

But Doom3 has the Trites as the new Goddamn Bats...

My most hated demon in classic Doom: Pain Elemental.

printz said:

Archviles are awesome and balanced. Revenants are NOT.

Isn't it in both cases a matter of the environment? If you don't have cover, both can be pretty unfair.

jdagenet said:

Monster: Archvile...
attack range is infinite

Actually it has a limit of 1024 map units for targeting (unless hurt), so you can evade them by running away, at least at first. You can also sort of negate their blast damage by running right up to them or in a very cramped space the moment of the blast: this way you'll only get fire damage (20 HP or so) but not blast damage, due to some playmap glitches.

Speaking of custom monsters, the Poe and the Tornado Demon were humongous pains in the ass for me to fight because they spammed the crap out of those attacks that make them temporarily invulnerable. (Tornado attack for the tornado demon, and the bullshit disappearing/cloning thing for the Poe) Then again, quite a good chunk of the custom monsters were pretty brutal in their own right, but at least fun in their own way. (Not counting most of the custom mega boss demons, which pretty much make the regular cyberdemon and the spider mastermind look like chumps in comparison)

On the subject of vanilla monsters, I've gotten better with handling the revenants when it comes to their melee attacks, though their homing missiles are still pretty annoying. Pain Elementals, on the other hand, just simply slow me down.

Also on the subject of custom monsters, I loathe the Death Knight with a passion.

@Gordon - In Scoredoom, V3.0's sdcustom.ini file (for official online scoring, anyway) shows that they no longer spawn. On top of that, enemies with invincibility frames are either removed or edited so that said invulnerabilities are gone. (Though the one cacodemon variant, the Surreal Demon, having the quake attack upon death is a rather big dick move, especially in megawads that prevent jumping to minimize the quake damage) That means you don't have to worry about those death knights.

Edit: Speaking of the Scoredoom add-on pack, the vanilla barons have gained an extra 1000 hitpoints, meaning that this might put off people who already loathe barons for being damage sponges.

Barrels - they're an absolute pain when you run out of ammo and have to melee them. :(

Probably the Demons, but they're more awesome under -fast. Otherwise, the Former Humans, because they look stupid and are stupid. I prefer late-game maps not to have any such morons in them, and if they have to use possessed, use Former Human Sergeants.

printz said:

if they have to use possessed, use Former Human Sergeants.

Yeah, their level of manliness compared to the wimpy zombies is cranked up to eleven. Of course, the Heavy Weapon Dudes are in a league of their own.

Maes said:

Yeah, their level of manliness compared to the wimpy zombies is cranked up to eleven. Of course, the Heavy Weapon Dudes are in a league of their own.

I thought these were only in Doom II.

[PROTOTYPE] said:
I thought these were only in Doom II.

Well, the Playstation version has them in Ultimate Doom too.

The Archvile.
...No, I'm just kidding. :P

The Spider Mastermind. (That is, when I'm playing Brütal Doom, in which she's a pain in the ass to kill because you have to shoot her in the brain.)

Maes said:

Well, the Playstation version has them in Ultimate Doom too.

That sucks...These fat fags always been a pain in my butt.

HavoX said:

The Archvile.
...No, I'm just kidding. :P

The Spider Mastermind. (That is, when I'm playing Brütal Doom, in which she's a pain in the ass to kill because you have to shoot her in the brain.)

If you play with Zero Tolerance,and have the Clusterbomb,Archviles become worthless.As for Spider MM in BDoom,E3M8 can be fairly easily beaten if you take cover around that house in the middle of the map. :)

Jodwin said:

Barons are the worst in all flavors of Doom.

Oh,come on!They are so slow and clunky!Hell,that's why they call them "meat-shields".They do,seriously!

DeathevokatioN said:

Blue keys are my least favorite by far.

Yeah,they're real dangerous.If you touch them,BAM!Insta-gib.LOL.

I would say the Barons. Described as equally tough as dump trucks, I just mow them down with either the RL or the plasma rifle.

MRB_Doom said:

I would say the Barons. Described as equally tough as dump trucks, I just mow them down with either the RL or the plasma rifle.

They're slow.And stupid.And look like satan's stray dogs.

[PROTOTYPE] said:
Oh,come on!They are so slow and clunky!Hell,that's why they call them "meat-shields".They do,seriously!

Exactly why they suck. They pose no threat and take too long to kill.