Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
40oz

Zen Dooming

I've heard this term thrown around a few times here. What does it mean? What is Zen Dooming to you?

Zen Dooming to me is a SSG and a pack of demons. The steady rhythm of the SSG firing and demon bodies hitting the floor coupled with the reloading clicks is like a mantra.

It's when you start posting questions like this, that you acknowledge that there's something more to Doom -hence, the Zen.

If you collect a Berserk pack, and no one is left alive to get punched, does it still make you stronger?

Bucket said:

If you collect a Berserk pack, and no one is left alive to get punched, does it still make you stronger?

You're awesome.

Bucket said:

Let's ask the cyberdemon's opinion. He says:"Mmuh!"

I once played Quake Live with my eyes closed. I got 6 frags with the fist during one match.

I think you have to define "zen" before even considering bringing Doom in.

Is it zen as in meditation? and if so, would it be trance? would it be just deep concentration? any other altered state of mind?

Porsche Monty said:

Any other altered state of mind?

It's DooM.

For me, a meditative state of mind is one where I am completely focused on external sensory experience. (I've never been able to meditate by focusing on my breath or heartbeat. That seems to screw with my medulla oblongata and leaves me feeling more stressed out.) So, I'd say Doom is often "zen" to me, no matter how you define it.

Maybe, making maps without any concept or idea. Roller Blade Seven series (films) were made with "Zen technique" or whatever, which means Scott Shaw and the other guy didn't make script or any preraped stuff, so the films were made without concept.

By the way, because of this, all the Roller Blade Seven films are incredibly awful.

You've been playing for 8 solid hours but now the sun has come up and you don't even notice it. Zen.

In the house of flying chainsaws there is a crouching imp and a hidden cacodemon.

When you make meditation sounds that sound like "Doom....Doom...Doom..." instead of "Ohm...Ohm...Ohm..." (or Ω.... Ω... Ω... if you are an electrical engineer with no life)

Zen Dooming is walking thru the barrel corridor surrounded by chaingunners in Doom 2 Map23 without running or shooting, and right after you leave the corridor, everything explodes behind you and everyone dies, and you dont suffer a single hit.

Jimi said:

I once played Quake Live with my eyes closed. I got 6 frags with the fist during one match.

hmm.. i got a melee kill in one of the Halo games with my left hand, holding a vaporizer mouth piece/tube with the right. 3 hits: I hit you, take the hit, you hit the ground.

Zen Doom is when I don't remember any of the levels I just played...

(Nethack conduct thing = big win RjY)
(but only because you beat me to it )
edit-
(why did this post have to be my final post as a Green Marine, i wear that title with honor)

Zen Dooming for me is basically my reflexes in Doom. For example, dodging fireballs come naturally (I don't have to think about doing it)

Zen Dooming is a pacifist run closing your mind from anything, including the Doom monsters themselves.

Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

Zen Dooming is walking thru the barrel corridor surrounded by chaingunners in Doom 2 Map23 without running or shooting, and right after you leave the corridor, everything explodes behind you and everyone dies, and you dont suffer a single hit.

The only way this could get any more awesome is if it happened in slow motion. :D

Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

Tha sounds more like Steven Seagal Doom ;-)

Oh wait....Seagal...martial arts....right ><

Maes said:

(or Ω.... Ω... Ω... if you are an electrical engineer with no life)

Watt...watt...watt...?