Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ellmo

Doomhub.com [possible beta this weekend!]

Some of you might remember the thread on a possible doom repository for teams and projects.
Well I haven't forgotten.

To be precise, I've been working on it (on and off) since that very day and I finally can say that this thing is alive. Granted it's still in it's infant stages and there's practically no functionality yet, but I'm glad that the server is running and I am absolutely, positively certain that right now the rest is just a matter of time.

I present to you: Doomhub.com

You may register your accounts if you wish, passwords you create are stored as safe as it gets. There are no user roles yet, everything is allowed, so please don't test your 1337 hacking skills when visiting http://doomhub.com/projects (which is just a scaffold for the project-team-map-resource hierarchy).

The server I use has a little of an issue, it's not a bug... it's just a feature nobody likes.
If the application is not used for a while, it goes to sleep. When someone visits it, it takes a while to spin-up. But when it's running, it's actually fast enough.

If you're willing to follow the service's development - there's an app for that:
Doomhub on Pivotal Tracker

The most important updates will probably be posted here as well.

Hope you like it!

That's great, but the site's running a tad slow this morning where I live...

Known issue?

HavoX said:

That's great, but the site's running a tad slow this morning where I live...

Known issue?

Hm, apart form the initial spin-up I haven't noticed any slow-downs. It takes a while (maybe 10sec) to load if the server wasn't used for... dunno? 5 minutes?

Did you try to click on the login/register links after it loads just to see if it's still working slow? The servers are in California and I'm viewing the page from Poland - safe to say the servers are on the opposite side of the globe from where I sit.

Right now I can't do anyhting about the server being put to sleep unfortunately. This is how a FastCGI server works on Dreamhost shared hosting servers. When the appliaction has reached it's planned functionality I will consider renting better servers.

This looks like a great site! I'll probably post TNT 2 on there when I get a chance to see how well the application performs.

It's been a while since I did anything doom related and that includes futher development of Doomhub.com - you all know how it's like when personal shit gets in the way and you simply start loosing interest.

But I've been working hard for the last couple of days to get back on the track, clean up a LOT of CSS / layout related stuff that irritated me before and made me loose interest even more.

There isn't anything new on the offical page, but I've been updating a Trello board (for those who don't know - it's an application for tracking and planning development progress), I know the http://doomhub.com page links to a Pivotal Tracker board, but I've abandoned it. I takes far too much time to maintain it.

I'd like to remind that I'm still working on what I would like to call a v1.0 release (click for a list of features planned for the release)

I also plan on renting a better (faster) server, since the one I use now goes to sleep after a few minutes if noone uses it. After that it takes a while to start, which is shit. It also limits me in software I can use to support the application.

But to show at least something graphical, this is a screenshot of a Map adding / editing form in Firefox, showing fixed styles (that looked like shit on Firefox before)

http://content.screencast.com/users/ellmo/folders/Jing/media/a8aad6ea-9481-44db-9e15-d5743ec64215/00000001.png

I hope this continues, could be useful for a project or two I have in mind :)

termrork said:

takes about 10-35 seconds for me to load the site
(all other sites less than 1 second)

Same, but once it's loaded, it takes less than a second to reload. This is because...

ellmo said:

The server I use has a little of an issue, it's not a bug... it's just a feature nobody likes.
If the application is not used for a while, it goes to sleep. When someone visits it, it takes a while to spin-up. But when it's running, it's actually fast enough.

ellmo said:

Hm, apart form the initial spin-up I haven't noticed any slow-downs. It takes a while (maybe 10sec) to load if the server wasn't used for... dunno? 5 minutes?

ellmo said:

I also plan on renting a better (faster) server, since the one I use now goes to sleep after a few minutes if noone uses it. After that it takes a while to start, which is shit.

Though it seems more like one minute than five minute before it goes back to sleep, so yeah it is very annoying.

What host is that? I could probably point you to a better one, I've never seen that "feature" before, even on a free hosting site.

Nomad said:

What host is that? I could probably point you to a better one, I've never seen that "feature" before, even on a free hosting site.

It's Dreamhost.

The problem is in FastCGI interface that connects to Rack server (I'm using Ruby on Rails). On the account I have (and it's not a free one) I cannot run my own server process.

I would be eternally grateful if someone could point me to a cheap web-hosting where I can run my own server process and install software.
Right now the only real option I see is to upgrade my Dreamhost plan. Despite the situation I'm in now - I'm really fond of Dreamhost. They have great support, their own wiki and so on.

I admire your enthusiasm, but you probably should have done a bit more work on this before announcing it, as it's clear that there's basically nothing to see at all right now, just some Rails scaffolding.

fraggle said:

I admire your enthusiasm, but you probably should have done a bit more work on this before announcing it, as it's clear that there's basically nothing to see at all right now, just some Rails scaffolding.

I won't deny it, there's still little to show and I'm... kinda... seeking attention, but community's attention is what keeps me going. At least partially.

But there will be more to show every single day.

I've added tabs, panels and breadcrumbs, so now it probably starts looking like a web application, even to people other than me.

http://content.screencast.com/users/ellmo/folders/Jing/media/93b2e990-042a-49ea-9fa3-adfe7c44b837/00000004.png

http://i.imgur.com/0umm9.png

BUMP

The project will most probably be hitting beta stage during this weekend. I'd like to know if there's anyone interested in helping me test it.

I'm primarily interested in testing the following features:

permissions:

• Is it possible to access / edit a private or closed project that you do not own
  • Is it possible to access / edit a map you don't own
links
  • Links, buttons and breadcrumbs that don't work
  • Links, buttons and breadcrumbs that return a 404 or 500 errors
zip uploading
  • Uploading a file returns an error
  • Uploading a file does nothing (tm)
  • Uploaded file is not accessible or not downloadable
I don't know if I'll manage to add a feature to upload screenshots, but I should be able to.

Any help would be greately appreciated