Find results in...
[PROTOTYPE]

Quake vs Quake 2: The Poll

Which Quake would you prefer?  

92 members have voted

1. 1. Which Quake would you prefer?

• Quake 1
    • Quake 2

Your choice should be based not only on criterias such as gameplay mechanics,polishing,and overall fun of the game.Mods are also an important factor.Think wisely before you vote.Also,post your opinion below.

I like Quake 1 best becasue it manages to carry over most of Doom mechanics perfectly. Quake 2 is when things started to slow down. The player, weapons, and momentum of the game play physically slowed down. The back-tracking and hub elements seemed really dynamic, especially for id, but it's at times very frustrating.

Quake 1 also has some of the most cool looking, balanced monsters I've seen. Every creature fills a niche perfectly.

Quake was a childhood favorite of mine, so nostalgic factor kicks in. Also love the atmosphere, the environments, the monsters, the somewhat industrial styled weapons, music, and sounds.

PRIMEVAL said:

Quake was a childhood favorite of mine, so nostalgic factor kicks in. Also love the atmosphere, the environments, the monsters, the somewhat industrial styled weapons, music, and sounds.

I loved that somehow modern weapons could look like they came from the fifteenth century.

I ain't afraid of no Quake.

The first Quake will always be my favorite. The pace in DM is pretty much the most intense gaming experience I've ever had.

Back when I was younger, I would have chosen Quake 2 because I thought the first one had a stupid setting. But as time has passed, I've grown to love Quake 1 much, much more than Quake 2. It's really the only Quake I replay.

[PROTOTYPE] said:
I think the weapons in both games are horribly unbalanced.

Really? I find myself using most of the weapons regularly. When I play Doom I never use anything other than the super shotgun.

I enjoyed playing through Q2 SP once, and that was it. I played through Q1 SP many times, and DM/CTF even more. In fact, I probably spent a couple thousand hours playing Q1 during 1996-1998, so when I finally got to Q2 there wasn't much of anything new to experience. Maybe the engine was technically better, but not enough to make any real difference, and anyway the gameplay was slower-paced and it had less variety of themes.

Technician said:

Really? I find myself using most of the weapons regularly. When I play Doom I never use anything other than the super shotgun.

I have to disagree.In Doom,the SSG is only good for short ranges.If you want to aim at a larger distance,you have to use the normal SG.Otherwise,you waste time and ammunation.And that may prove to be fatal.

Quake 1 playthroughs I can count with one hand. Quake 2 playthroughs need both hands. Sometimes when I had just finished the game, I would start playing it again straight away.

Someways I like the setting in Quake 1, but after a while, it just gets too depressing. It helps a bit if I play it with a source port that adds colored lighting.

Quake 2 has better and brigther setting, which I liked better even when my computer was so crappy it couldn't display colored lighting. I also liked that I had goals, so it wasn't just shoot random monsters in random castles.

Maybe I would have liked Quake 1 more if it had had more of those base levels in the starts of the episodes, like one episode could have been that way. And anyway, each episode should have had a more different theme.

BOTH. They're just like the totally different games from different universes. Both are great on their own right. And both are totally better than Quake 3.

I prefer Quake 1. The weapons are more fun to use and feel stronger, the SP levels are a lot more fun (especially when you sequence break them with Rocket Jumping) and unique, the DM is one of the fastest games I've ever seen, the monsters seem tougher, it has the best gibs and gibbing sounds ever made, and it has the type of quirky and unique personality (like art style, etc) that no other game has been able to fully capture.

That's not to say that Quake 2 sucks. I like the progress in the campaign where you go from a loser with a Blaster and a shitty Shotgun to a mini-god that's armed with the BFG, two powerful explosive weapons with plenty of ammo and can use a Quad Damage on command. However, the DM feels like a prototype Quake 3 rather than a proper DM mode in it's own right, and it lacks Doom and Quake 1's personality.

I thought Quake 2 feels faster and have more powerful weapons. I can't speak much of the DM game in either, because I have played both on DM like 10 times.. but I think I'd rather play Quake2 in DM, simply because it's more colorful. In Quake Live I hate the levels that have dull colors/lighting, even if otherwise the levels play nicely.

[PROTOTYPE] said:
Your choice should only be based on criteria such as gameplay

FTFY.

With that said, neither is that great, but Quake 2 was more enjoyable.

Orchid87 said:

And both are totally better than Quake 3.

Unfair comparison.

Quake 3 was never meant to "compete" with the previous two games but instead give everyone a multiplayer-focused game. Unless you're only comparing Q1 and Q2 multiplayer with Quake 3.

Quake 1. Quake 2 feels too much like a Doom clone in 3d to me. It doesn't help that Quake 2's theme is much more cliche than Quake 1's. Quake 1 works because its denizens are officially neither devils nor aliens nor humans. They're simply called Quake. So there you go. Quake 2, 3 and 4 don't even have reasons for being named so.

I still find it disappointing that there is no Quake 2 single player community whatsoever. The engine (at least without DLL modifications or ports) is still more capable than Quake's.

printz said:

They're simply called Quake.

[citation needed]

Never heard anyone call the Quake monsters "Quake" before.

DoomUK said:

I like both. Don't make me choose.

Same.

I played the hell out of both those games and back then would grab any fan made SP maps I could find. I don't know what i'd do if I had to choose between the two. I don't really replay a lot of olde games but I do replay Quake and Quake 2 + expansions and or a few SP maps from time to to time.

Doom, Quake, and Quake 2 have SSGs in common, and once I have them theyre all I use.

Quake is more of an exception, as nailguns and RL become needed.

Quake 2 has a nostalgic factor, so it wins my vote.

Quake. Never played Quake II.

Fun fact: Quake II isn't the sequel to Quake. It merely uses its name due to Id's difficulties in acquiring the trademark for an alternative title. [Source: QuakeWiki]

What pisses me off at Quake is that 90% of the developement time was dedicated to crafting the game engine.There was very little time left for the rest,so Quake is pretty much...unfinished.Imagine what Quake would have been like if they had more time.

Ion Storm had the guts to push Daikatana's release date 6 years further than originally planned.If only id Software did that too with Quake...

DoomUK said:

[citation needed]

Never heard anyone call the Quake monsters "Quake" before.

It's not like people use to call them "Quake" all the time, it's that the few occurrences of the word Quake within the game texts are referring to the enemy you have to beat. There is the manual storyline: "An enemy codenamed Quake" and the game ending text which congratulates you for "defeating Quake". I can infer that Quake is the opposing force in the first game.

[PROTOTYPE] said:
What pisses me off at Quake is that 90% of the developement time was dedicated to crafting the game engine.There was very little time left for the rest,so Quake is pretty much...unfinished.Imagine what Quake would have been like if they had more time.

A completely different game.

[PROTOTYPE] said:
Ion Storm had the guts to push Daikatana's release date 6 years further than originally planned.If only id Software did that too with Quake...

Daikatana is the perfect example of how extended development time doesn't magically fix a game's problems. If Quake took six years to develop then id would have gone under, and someone else would've released the first true 3D FPS in the meantime.

---

I think Quake is the better game based on its setting, which is one of the more unique ones ever seen in a FPS. I also like the Quake monsters better than anything in Quake 2. Level design wise, I think the games were about on par, but I really did like Quake 2's hubs. Quake 2 also told a better story, as cliched as it was, while Quake's story is a bit of a muddled mess thanks to how it was developed.