Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Compet-N: incoming and discussion, part 1 [please post in part 2 instead]

No idea, shouldn't be THAT difficult to find with DSDA's new features (although Doom2 and Ultimate Doom search has to be postponed). About the second part (same map + same player + same category), I know many cases of four entries, so if someone finds five, it could be the record. OTOH, I never really looked at it, so this number may be way higher. Kind of Sergey Bubka case in speedrunning...

Edit: I just found NINE - requiem MAP03 UV Speed by Xit Vono

How about Xit-Vono on TNT map31 (also map16; probably others)? Maybe Altima too, on the same map, though you'd need to check the dates.

Actually, I think you'll find dozens of compet-n maps where Xit holds (or has simultaneously held) 5 records or more.

Paska said:

Well, why does the fall cause it to desync? I mean the doomguy is stuck there 20 ticks anyways? They both start to move at the exactly the same tick. He just falls, right? It doesn't affect x and y coordinates?

Sorry, I missed your question from yesterday. Did you try to watch the demo with PrBoom+ and camera mode? This should explain everything.
Just pause right after teleporting, press the camera mode key twice, get yourself a good viewpoint, unpause. Watch -complevel 4 (default) first, then -complevel 2. What I don't quite understand is why the time difference is not the opposite - with -complevel 4 it should take longer to reach any further destination, is it for different angle at approaching the stairs or is there some kind of boost, no idea.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v345/wojtunio/doom176.jpg

It doesn't affect anything even if the z-coordinate isn't set, right? I think they are still in perfect sync after that teleport, but after the very last teleport something strange happens. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

They teleport to different coordinates. With complevel 2 it's little east from the middle of teleport destination while complevel4 teleports exactly to the middle. Other than that the runs seems identical to my eye.

In this(these) picture(s) doomguy has just teleported, so they are still stuck in the teleport. Both pictures took in the same tic.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/o117/Looperi/doom04.jpg

Another demo for the ultimate classic wad:
Ultimate Doom - The Shores of Hell - Deimos Lab - UV RESPAWN in 3:43

(Read txt to for some interesting stuff)

r2m4-343.zip

Paska said:

It doesn't affect anything even if the z-coordinate isn't set, right? I think they are still in perfect sync after that teleport, but after the very last teleport something strange happens. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

First, you're right. Second, it looks like I don't really know the z-axis behaviour "scientifically". When playing plutonia MAP15, I notice huge difference in teleporter behaviour (between complevels) as a player, I thought this common knowledge would be enough for me to explain everything. Haha, I was wrong.

You can do the following (probably you did it already, didn't you?) Run

dre -iwad plutonia.wad
and then
dre -file plutonia.wad
The X,Y coordinates are the same in both cases after using the first teleporter. The changes begin around tic 9080, e.g. with -iwad plutonia.wad the player does not move at all during a few tics, with -file plutonia.wad there is 0.000102 distance travelled... eventually
-iwad plutonia.wad: tally screen at tic #9134
-file plutonia.wad: tally screen at tic #9136
but I'm too lazy to check what happens exactly in terms of player's physics.

Archy said:

Insanely good demo, a must watch for everybody.

excuse me, but I probably didn't catch it. Don't get me wrong, but what's so special about this demo? the moving and knowledge of the maze is good, but the killing could have been faster and 2 AV are left alive, beside the final4 in the dead-room
does it count as uv-max anyway?

also, why you get in the end 88%kill ratio like if 16/18 monsters were killed (even if from what I saw you wiped 12/14 in the maze and one by bfg in the end, so 13/18 total) while xitvono kills all the 14 viles in the maze and ends with a 77% (resulting from 14/18*100)
I've watched the very last tics of the demo with slowmotion and still couldnt figure out what happened

heh. pr = uv respawn, so what you saw was getting 100% kills only 4 seconds slower than the max record, which needs just 77%. that is 4 more viles.

After hearing this:

blob1024 said:

Also, why you get in the end 88%kill ratio like if 16/18 monsters were killed.

I was like WTF but after Paska's interesting discovery on PT11-420, I realized what had happened, you played it back on a -complevel value of 2, but PR11-245 is a -complevel 4 demo.

-complevel 2 results in 88% kills while -complevel 4 results in 100% kills.

But anyways, what I found so amazing in this demo is that I went though the first teleporter with 15 kills, and 18 Arch-viles
are needed to achieve 100% kills. I thought I had killed 16 but I obviously miscounted. I then killed 3(!!!) Arch-viles after the 3rd teleporter, two with the BFG and the last one with the SSG, almost on the last tic before the tally screen. This resulted in a 100% kill tally, as opposed to 9x%. Killing more than 2 Arch-viles after the 3rd teleporter is very hard, it's practicality virtually impossible without TAS yet I achieved it here unassisted and just in the nick of time.

This makes Paska's discovery even more interesting, and I hope you watch my demo with -complevel 4 and pay attention to what happens after the last teleporter.

Sorry if I explained to you anything dew already make clear, I am not trying to bash you, I'm just explaining what happened.

xit-vono said:

I believe I have a ton of compet-n entries on TNT map16

22 entries if I counted correctly. I only have 23 entries across all maps on all C-N wads.

It's not everyday you beat a record by six seconds, especially when it's on a 1993 WAD. And just look at the history of this level:

Complete Historic COMPET-N Leaderboard:
  E3M3-808 - Eelco de Vries     - 05/16/1995
  E3M3-706 - Eelco de Vries     - 05/29/1995
  E3M3-611 - Eelco de Vries     - 07/14/1995
  E3M3-411 - Wade Cayton        - 02/18/1996
  E3M3-401 - Michael Kren       - 02/17/1996
  E3M3-330 - Wade Cayton        - 04/10/1996
  E3M3-257 - Michael Greenslade - 03/18/1997
  E3M3-247 - Eelco de Vries     - 09/23/1998
  E3M3-244 - Donatas Tamonis    - 09/28/1998
  E3M3-242 - Eelco de Vries     - 10/19/1998
  E3M3-224 - Anders Johnsen     - 01/18/1999
  E3M3-223 - Radek Pecka        - 10/21/2000
  E3M3-218 - Radek Pecka        - 03/21/2002
  E3M3-212 - Archy              - 02/26/2012

e3m3-212.zip

Archy said:

It's not everyday you beat a record by six seconds, especially when it's on a 1993 WAD. And just look at the history of this level:

Good job and don't forget to mention 2:16 from Kyle :) (Even if it's not C-N but...)

Heh, I have completely forgotten that I had a Max Compet-N entry some time in the past :) Nice demo Archy.

I have 12 (13 if you cound misc) for EV31, but it seems Vono has more on EV16, so I guess there is someone with more than me. Makes my original list null, so it's been removed =P

I'll sneak this in before Andy does his next update.

The Ultimate Doom - Episode Four - Thy Flesh Consumed - Hell Beneath done UV -FAST in 2:26

f4m1-226.zip

Stupid Question:
For COMPET-N, is Class_Ep.wad or Class_Ep_20 used for The Classic Episode? All of the COMPET-N demos for The Classic Episode use Class_Ep.wad but I would like to make sure I understand before making an invalid demo.

Vile said:

Plutonia map32 UV Max in 3:04

I remember, one of the first demos I ever watched was the 7:23 MAX of this level hosted on ledmeister's site. (Somehow I found classicdoom.com before Doomworld). It was the most mindblowing thing I'd ever seen, and now the Compet-n record is less than half as long. Well done.

Archy said:

The Final Doom - Plutonia Experiment - Level 11 - Hunted done UV MAX in 2:40

...when will it end?

Haha, funny. I still don't know how to do that maze properly. And to me, it will end when you get 2:33.

The Final Doom - Plutonia Experiment - Level 11 - Hunted done UV MAX in 2:38

The greatest part about this isn't the fact that it's two seconds faster, but that it's 20% less ugly.

pl11-238.zip