Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
printz

User-defined safe ACS spawn numbers

I'd like to know what ACS spawn numbers are safe to be defined by users in custom thing types, so they don't clash with future Strife/Hexen implementations.

Probably any that are not assigned in ZDoom; the numbers have been thus far chosen to be compatible. Please note that the "modes" field of the ACS spawndata block controls what gamemodes an ACS spawn number is considered to apply to, however. So Strife thingtypes cannot conflict with things that are only used in a DOOM gamemode for example.

Also, the newest thing to declare it uses a certain spawn number always wins, so you can override the defaults. I don't necessarily recommend it, but there are ways this could be very useful too.

stdinclude("root.edf");

thingtype Foobar
{
  // Doesn't matter who used 10 before; now this thing is #10.
  acs_spawndata { num 10; modes doom }
}

Yeah, well neither ACC nor ExtraData are limited by the 255 range, so if acs_spawndata {num}'s internal variable and logic isn't limited either, it will mean that I'll simply have to supply numbers large enough that are less likely to be reserved for the future.

printz said:

Yeah, well neither ACC nor ExtraData are limited by the 255 range, so if acs_spawndata {num}'s internal variable and logic isn't limited either, it will mean that I'll simply have to supply numbers large enough that are less likely to be reserved for the future.

EDF will currently reject numbers outside the range of 0 to 255. This will change during udmf-branch development (as well as increasing the range of allowed DoomEd numbers to INT_MAX).