Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Compet-N: incoming and discussion, part 1 [please post in part 2 instead]

I actually like my PL11-237 better, looks more "professional," but this is a record so here you go:

The Final Doom - Plutonia Experiment - Level 11 - Hunted done UV MAX in 2:36

pl11-236.zip

Archy said:

Now that I have 10 C-N entries for Hunted, exactly half of all my C-N entries combined (meaning that if it wasn't for Hunted, I'd only have 10 entries :o), I've been wondering, what's the world record for most C-N entries on a single map? How about most C-N entries for a single category in one map?

So are you aiming for that record or UV Max record in PL11? It seems that every exit is a new record.

Paska said:

So are you aiming for that record or UV Max record in PL11? It seems that every exit is a new record.

That wasn't my intention but after getting PL11-238, it did pop into my mind.

Creaphis said:

I remember, one of the first demos I ever watched was the 7:23 MAX of this level hosted on ledmeister's site. (Somehow I found classicdoom.com before Doomworld). It was the most mindblowing thing I'd ever seen, and now the Compet-n record is less than half as long. Well done.

Thanks. Sub 3-mins is possible and I'm sure I had runs that would have gotten there without some last second misfortune, but it takes a lot of luck with the infights at the blue key to get a good time. I'm happy enough to move on to something else for now.

classic episode - Level one - Foray by Anthony Soto, done UV FAST in 2:15

Someone please beat this, it will only take five minutes.

cf21-215.zip

Archy said:

I actually like my PL11-237 better, looks more "professional," but this is a record so here you go:

The Final Doom - Plutonia Experiment - Level 11 - Hunted done UV MAX in 2:36

Dangit man, I was training to see if I could claim this record for myself but now you've pushed it forever out of my reach.

Question: Has anyone seriously worked at trying to jump from the platform with the BFG directly to the platform with the two exits? I just spent some time trying this in slow-motion without success but it seems like it has to be possible with a perfect run-up.

Creaphis said:

Question: Has anyone seriously worked at trying to jump from the platform with the BFG directly to the platform with the two exits? I just spent some time trying this in slow-motion without success but it seems like it has to be possible with a perfect run-up.

I have tried many times, and even with tool-assistance, but never achieved such a thing. I've tried so many times without success that I have deemed it impossible.

But what might be possible is getting an Arch-Vile to go though the first teleporter and then using the Arch-Vile jump to get up on the platform, but just make sure he's one SSG blast away from death or he'll surely kill you before you can kill him... is the Arch-Vile a he or a she?

But anyways, you might be able to improve PF11-234 or PT11-420, my Tyson run is terrible and this map is much easier on -FAST than normal gameplay; just don't expect your record to last very long...

I saw some -Respawn movies mentionned before, I did quite a few of these back in the days and even tried for a 30re but failed several runs and gave up (mostly due to exiting a bit too early)

Had it been an official C-N category I would have tried it more as I love movies.

COMPET-N said:
Special note for Requiem: if you record on Requiem MAP21, you need to download a fix for this level (which fixes the desync problem of the original release). Make sure you add this file to your command line when recording on (or through) this level.

I'm assuming what they're talking about is req21_competn.wad but I'm unsure because I doubt COMPET-N would name something without using the 8.3 file name format. This also adds to the confusion.

But anyways, some questions:
Does the mysterious fix for RQ21 only affect level 21?

Does TNT31.wad only affect level 31 and is anything changed besides the yellow key? I'm asking because a lot of demos desynch when played without TNT31.wad even before the yellow key comes into play. I'm assuming the Yellow key affects the pseudorandom number generator in some way or another?

Is Avmovfix.wad used for COMPET-N and does it affect any level other than 20? Would a demo of map 20 that was successfully recorded without Avmovfix.wad play back properly with Avmovfix.wad? How about a demo recorded with Avmovfix.wad, would it play back properly with out Avmovfix.wad?

Here's what AV.TXT says:
Unfortunately we discovered a limmitation regarding map20 and demorecording.
If you attempt a full game run with doom2.exe it will bomb out in map20
with an error message if the -maxdemo parameter is set high enough.
To avoid this we included an altered version of map20 as avmovfix.wad,
its basically map20 w/o the hughe mountain area. Such a high -maxdemo
valu is only of interest for a possible maxkill movie run, even episode
recordings work fine with no fix added.

Note that his one is only of interest for demorecorders in compet-N context,
and should be ignored if using a port such as zdoom.

And are there any other "weird wad patches for COMPET-N" that I need to know about?

Thank you :P

The Requiem map21 fix only affects map21. I believe Andy renamed the wad - the original name was req21fix.wad. There was also an older patch called r21.wad, but that's not the one used for compet-n. req21fix.wad should be used for any recording that involves this map, as the original map causes demos to behave erratically, and not play back reliably at all.

The AV20 patch isn't needed unless recording a demo of the type described. Offhand, I can't think of any demos for which it has been used. Presumably desyncs would be guaranteed if using it for a demo recorded without it or vice versa (and vice versa).

The other "weird patch" is the one for Evilution map31. This should be used for any Max-type demos, and should not be used for any Speed-type demos. Failing to load it for a demo recorded with it will lead to a desync, and vice versa.

Archy said:

Does TNT31.wad only affect level 31 and is anything changed besides the yellow key?

Having done an entire playthrough of TNT Evilution on YouTube using the tnt31.wad file attached *the entire way through*, nothing else is changed as far as I can tell. It simply adds in the Yellow Key to TNT31 so that it can be completed normally.

Altima said:

It simply adds in the Yellow Key to TNT31 so that it can be completed normally.

It also fixes a node issue on that same map. So incorrect use of it will definitely lead to desyncs even when the yellow key is irrelevant.

I doesn't have any impact on other maps, because it is simply a replacement version of map31.

dr_st said:
Watching demos is normally a very small part of DOOMing (or at least should be), and watching demos on TNT MAP31 is such a small part of watching demos, and watching old demos on TNT MAP31 is such a small part of watching demos on TNT MAP31, and watching old demos on TNT MAP31 that go out of sync because of the patch is probably not a very big part of watching old demos on TNT MAP31.

"Really bad" for watching demos, lol.

... what a creep.

Grazza said:

It also fixes a node issue on that same map.

Well, THAT I did not know. Thanks for the information, Grazza!

Archy said:

... what a creep.

wut.

Edit: k, found what that's in reference to. I agree, but replace creep with asshat.

Also in that thread it talks about the node issue, and I actually remember the specific issue now that I went and read up on it. Funny how things can be forgotten, even on something you've seen half a dozen times.

The Final Doom - Plutonia Experiment - Level 19 - NME, done UV FAST in 3:51

If your pinky or ring finger hangs off the side of the mouse, get a wider mouse or suffer the consequences.

Also, what's with all the GM demos?

Anyways, happy Pi day :]

pf19-351.zip

The Final Doom - Plutonia Experiment - Level 19 - NME, done UV FAST in 3:11

Much much better, glad I got this under par.

pf19-311.zip

Altima said:

Down goes another 15-year old record.

I wasn't even born when Daniel Lindgren achieved that record...

Archy said:

I wasn't even born when Daniel Lindgren achieved that record...

Good lord, how young are you!?

Altima said:

Good lord, how young are you!?

I had actually mistaken the timestamp for P16F-521.TXT (why the fu** am I looking at TXTs? It's LMPs that count) as 05/17/1996 but it's really 05/17/1997 so I was no longer a fetus at the occurrence of Daniel Lindgren's record but anyways, I'm 15. Had my first driving lesson today, hit the gas instead of the brake and almost ran into a light-pole but my dad pulled the steering wheel right and so I, or I guess we, dogged it.

Anyways, is P16F-521 the previous C-N record or is PLT16-GM (PF16-357) the previous C-N record? PLT16-GM doesn't appear to be a COMPET-N submission but I guess it is since it appears at this COMPET-N mirror.

And once again, what's with all the GM demos? Why did Daniel Lindgren switch the naming format from PF16-xxx to PLT16-GM? doesn't PF16-xxx seem a little more descriptive than PLT16-GM? And WTF is a GM anyway?

Archy said:

Anyways, is P16F-521 the previous C-N record or is PLT16-GM (PF16-357) the previous C-N record? PLT16-GM doesn't appear to be a COMPET-N submission but I guess it is since it appears at this COMPET-N mirror.

And once again, what's with all the GM demos? Why did Daniel Lindgren switch the naming format from PF16-xxx to PLT16-GM? doesn't PF16-xxx seem a little more descriptive than PLT16-GM? And WTF is a GM anyway?

The reason for all the GM demos is that they originally weren't individual submissions to Compet-N, they came from the Final Doom GM Pack, which was an all-in-one demopack uploaded to /idgames. Since all the demos in it were new records, and all the players were Compet-N players, they later got repackaged as individual zipfiles in the Compet-N directory, I think it would have been by Istvan as it was probably 1997. When the demopack was begun I don't think Compet-N even took Final Doom submissions yet. So yes, all the GM demos are records, but they weren't originally submitted as such.

GM = Grand Master, which is the title you would be awarded in the Doom Honorific Titles if you could complete three levels on skill 4 with the -fast parameter.

pf19-241.zip

I wish I could answer these questions, but I'm not knowledgeable enough to do so. I know that "GM" was the old -fast nickname for Grand Master.

With that said, I think Demonlord was credited with the record. I don't know what's up with the naming or whatever, or maybe it was different back then? As I said I'm not sure. Either way, 3:36 is faster than the two mentioned times, so at least that much is certain now. This is why I'm making it a goal to knock out some of these ancient times, to clarify this confusion.

Edit: Apparently while forgetting this window was open, Ryback answered the questions lol. So yeah, disregard this for what you don't need.

Great rout Ryback and thanks for the kind comments. I'm glad I'm not the only one that reads my TXTs.

I'll start using the keyboard more but I don't see how I'll ever master the art of using just the keyboard. Still, it's a start.

Thank you very much, it actually really meant allot to me seeing another player show concern.