Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
40oz

Games you wish more people would play

We're lucky that not only do we have Doom, but we also have a thriving community that's living 17 years past it's initial release. Now that we're in a world where gamers tend to favor modern military shooters, and survival horrors, and free-roam RPGs, a lot of cool video game ideas that had a lot of potential tend to get neglected. Some of these games are great and people probably enjoyed them, but it's a shame they didnt last as long as they could have.

In the same way I like to watch Doom speed runs, I like to see videos of people who are insanely good at video games. Like unbelievably, godly, theres-no-fucking-way-he-just-did-that good. I like to see Counterstrike videos of single guy taking out an entire team of opponents with headshots with a pisol. I like to see Zerg Rushes on Starcraft, and 60 Terran Nukes at once. I like to see people exploiting a game's utmost potential.

My brother and I were browsing through videos on his OnLive account, and saw a few videos of players playing NBA 2K11, and we were lucky enough to see some hilariously sick dunks, rejections, crushing victories (120 to 14) and full court shots. The game featured a personal dunking minigames which let you practice dunking, and personalize your moves to make your own custom dunks. We were laughing for hours watching some players make complete fools out of the AI basketball players. Unfortunately the volume of videos was pretty limited, and we were craving to see more.

We saw a few other sports games with crazy and humiliating moments, such as an MLB game where the pitcher threw a fast ball and when the hitter smacked it, the ball flew directly into the pitcher's glove without him even motioning to catch it!

Another game that seems to have flown under the radar, especially regarding some banging free-roaming and violently explosive multiplayer is Grand Theft Auto 2. I've seen some videos of people playing GTA 2 one-on-one and was totally blown away at how fast paced the game is! The weapons are so powerful and the cars are so fast. It was a crazy violent fragfest, but I don't remember anyone talking about or playing it or even knowing that it existed. A real shame because it looks like it was a lot of fun, I would love to have the opportunity to play it. I'm sure it would have really taken off if more people knew about it, and an internet game was easy to set up.

What other games that you really like do you wish were more popular?

Being that it's taken up the vast majority of my game time for a while, I don't think Beat Hazard is known by enough people.

just a bit of a self-plug but here's a video of it... =p

Here's list of games I think that need more players than it has:

• Goosebumps: Escape From Horrorland (PC)
  • Ski Resort Tycoon (PC)
  • Sim City 3000: Unlimited (PC)
  • Sim Theme Park (PC)
  • Martian Gothic (PC/PS1)
  • Blake Stone: Aliens of Gold (DOS)
  • Rise of the Traid (DOS)
  • Attack of the Mutant Penguins (Atari Jaguar/DOS)
  • Darkseed 2 (PC)
  • Ken's Labyrinth (DOS)
That's all I can think of right now.

I wish more people on here would give Call of Duty a try in multiplayer. I'm sure many of those who dismiss it as a dumbed down cash cow that appeals to 13 year olds played singleplayer for about 10 minutes and declared the entire game to be shit.

I also wish more people in general would play the Stalker games.

Chungy: I just got Beat Hazard Ultra for iOS. It's pretty much the most kickass-iest game I've got on my phone, and you can bet your ass I'll be getting it on Steam soon.

Beat Hazard is godly.
the first time i played any CoD game was Modern Warfare SP on a friend's 360...i played for several hours, hooked, before i went home. a few months later, i bought it myself and i couldn't get into it again. and i didn't think the MP was fun...while any MP game has potential to be great fun, i really can't get into any that don't seem like they require a lot of skill.
i prefer Quake3/live as far as fps MP's go and the BEST mmorpg ever was Dransik/Ashen Empires (it's still around but very different) because the PVP required a huge amount of skill. In fact it was so skill-based that a lvl 40 who knew how to time his weapon hits and/or switch spells/know what spells to cast and when could take down a lvl 100 easy. This made for some very very interesting pvp when there were thousands playing the game. One person who knew exactly what he was doing actually claimed an entire island for himself (there was a very good hunting spot on it that allowed him to get the best drops) for months, and he killed any and every person who invaded his island (as long as he was logged in at least.) Entire guilds couldn't take him down and he effectively controlled the economy for much of this time.
Plus being able to organize an attack on a well-populated, "safe-zoned" city, kill everyone in the bank and loot them clean while evading the much more powerful npc guards who would take you to jail at 20% of your health was amazing fun.
i wish more people played it.
and i wish that the Ashen Empires that is around today was more like the old one...even though it is still a very good game.

Manhunt.
Yes, I know it's not that obscure and not that old, but I insisted in mentioning it because I happen to enjoy it so goddamn much.Also, I haven's seen a lot of people playing it.
Manhunt 2 is also great.
Then, there's also Doom 95. My asshole friends think it sucks so they only play GZDoom, because it's got mouselook, crosshair, etc. I personally love D95, because it's Doom the way id originally designed it and I've been playing it for the past 9 years. But maybe it's just the nostalgia.

chungy said:

Being that it's taken up the vast majority of my game time for a while, I don't think Beat Hazard is known by enough people.

just a bit of a self-plug but here's a video of it... =p

Out of all the "play your music!" games, Beat Hazard is by far the best. Audiosurf just seems bland when compared to it.

40oz said:

Another game that seems to have flown under the radar, especially regarding some banging free-roaming and violently explosive multiplayer is Grand Theft Auto 2. I've seen some videos of people playing GTA 2 one-on-one and was totally blown away at how fast paced the game is! The weapons are so powerful and the cars are so fast. It was a crazy violent fragfest, but I don't remember anyone talking about or playing it or even knowing that it existed. A real shame because it looks like it was a lot of fun, I would love to have the opportunity to play it. I'm sure it would have really taken off if more people knew about it, and an internet game was easy to set up.

Are you aware that Rockstar released GTA1 and 2 for free? http://www.rockstargames.com/classics/

Bucket said:

I wish more people would play Ultimate Doom co-op.

I wish more people would play Ultimate Doom DM.

(and co-op too :P)

magicsofa said:

I wish more people would play Ultimate Doom DM.

(and co-op too :P)

TOO BAD, SHIT FOR BRAINS
HAVE SOME MORE DWANGO5
AND EVERYONE LOVES DBZONE
AND SOME WEAPON MODS, HOW DO YOU LIKE THAT SHIT
CAUSE IF THERE'S ONE THING DOOM NEEDS, IT'S AN MP5
OR AN UZI
FULL
AU
TO
MA
TIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIK

What are you smoking? The survival horror genre is on life support. Amnesia and the Penumbra series are only survivsl horror games i can think of in recent times.

Etrian Odyssey 1-3
Jagged Alliance games (any of them)
Age of Empires Online
Melty Blood Actress Again Current Code
Shadowgrounds
Tokkyu Tenshi

Mirror's Edge. I remember when it came out, I thought the concept sounded cool, but the reviews were so mediocre that I ignored it, and it seems like a lot of other people did, too. A while back, however, I picked it up because of a Steam sale, and it was incredible. I mean, it was hardly perfect, so in a sense, I understand why it got mediocre reviews, but it did so much that no other games were doing at the time, that I think it almost necessitates a playthrough.

Honestly, it kinda shapes my thoughts regarding game reviews. Simply giving a game a number just doesn't seem right to me. You can't simply reduce a game like Mirror's Edge to a mere number. There's more to it than that. Yeah, if you total up the good aspects with the flaws, the number makes sense, but the problem is that giving it a number, it just gets lumped in with other games which may be solid but generic. Mirror's Edge may not have been solid, but it was far from generic, and there needs to be some way of acknowledging that.

Soldier of Fortune. The MP is so frantic and Doom-like in it's blatant disregard for any kind of seriousness. The fact that there's no cooldown on tossing grenades/c4 is awesome. CTF is pretty robust as well.

Another game I wish more people would play is The Legend of Dragoon for the PS1 because it's such a nice RPG. I mean, people should plat the game more than the newer Final Fantasy games.

Nomad said:

Are you aware that Rockstar released GTA1 and 2 for free? http://www.rockstargames.com/classics/

Yeah but that doesn't mean anyone still plays it :/

Justince said:

Video games suck. People should play more video games.

I hate 40oz's threads so i post in them.

If only I could find people playing Heretic 2 multiplayer deathmatch or coop :'(

If only people in my country played more old-school FPS's, everyone only plays shitty new games, would give my nut-sack to have a game of Tribes 2 online

[PROTOTYPE] said:
Then, there's also Doom 95. My asshole friends think it sucks so they only play GZDoom, because it's got mouselook, crosshair, etc. I personally love D95, because it's Doom the way id originally designed it and I've been playing it for the past 9 years. But maybe it's just the nostalgia.

Doom 95 was not the way id originally designed Doom, that would be Doom for DOS, initially Doom v1.1 (v1.0 if you count shareware and 0.2 if you count alpha) though the most up to date version would be Ultimate Doom v1.9 for Doom and Doom(2) v1.9 for Doom2. That's cool that you still use Doom 95 though, kinda like how I still use Vanilla Doom for DOS.

I wish more people would play Vanilla Doom multiplayer via DOSBox, I haven't deathmatched someone in quit some time.

Someone needs to make a Meltdown equivalent for Doom.