Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JCD

[Boom] Survive in Hell - Release #2

Hello Doomworld !

Survive in Hell is a 33-Map wad with a Hell Revealed-ish gameplay. Though for new-comers, a good challenge for the others. The wad took 4 years of developpement. It run with a boom port =).

What does this wad include :

- 33 Maps with various themes and gameplay styles
- 5 new monsters: The Afrit, The Belphegor, The Cybruiser, The Poison Soul, ?????
- Various GFX editions: Permanent blood, Revenant-like Rocket trails
- Terrain Lump for your viewing pleasure
- A fully functionnal SECTINFO Lump

Some more screenshots are available here:
http://superjc.free.fr/autre/photos/screens%20Sih/

And now, what you are all waiting for, the download link here:
http://superjc.free.fr/autre/wads/SihR2fix.zip

idgames : http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?id=16831

All feedbacks and suggestions are more than welcome.
Thanks in advance!

You haven't mentioned what port it runs in. Based on the info in this post I'm guessing some kind of ZDoom derivative, but it'd be nice to know exactly what before downloading. :)

The monsters have been converted to dehacked code, and things like TERRAIN and SECTINFO lumps are optional. (The TERRAIN lump isn't used to make automatic damaging floors like in Hexen.)

So it is geared for online play with ZDaemon or Skulltag, but it should work in PrBoom.

By the way, the HELP screen is entirely unreadable. MS Paint is a bad with fonts. :p

FDA. Maps01-15, some deaths.

That was great. Great, great, great. I didn't expect much, and I'm glad to be completely wrong. Much better HR2 than HR2. It captured that original HR feel perfectly, with clever use of tough monsters without going insane on the monster count, and neat traps. The homagey parts and levels don't feel overly so because there's enough twists and tweaks to keep it fresh. Everything feels intuitive. This wad doesn't take itself seriously and at the same time never falls into self-deprecating parody. I have nothing but praise for your level design, it's everything I liked in HR, and while it wouldn't quite fit lumped in along the original levels, it's because it clearly has its own distinctive style that is just as good.

I didn't enjoy the custom palette, which gives a dull tone to everything. The red/black baron looked cartoonish... Which isn't necessarily a bad thing for this wad, and everytime I got hit by the second projectile because I fell into usual hk/baron strafe habits it made me appreciate how different such a simple change can make. I'm not big on the cacodemon sprite either, but at least it stays distinctive. What I really disliked is the puff marks. On rocket trails it makes it much harder to see what's going on when you're using the RL. On revenants/pain elementals it removes much of the visual feedback showing you've got a hit. The small lost soul with super HP felt very, very silly. I like monster size to roughly correspond to monster HP in Doom, it just feels right to me. Some music tunes were much louder than others, that was annoying.

All these cons are nitpicks and won't stop me from finishing the wad later on, and likely replaying it. Anyone who liked HR ought to do themselves a favor and check this out, in my opinion. Great job!

Edit: forgot to mention, in Map15 the final switch was very hard to activate in basic Boom compatibility. This is because you've got another switch line 4 pixels away, linedef 345, which "eats" the use key presses. This particular action isn't necessary as the affected pillar should already be down from another linedef by the time you could activate this one, so I'd suggest you remove it.

In Map02 I found it tedious to hobble from ground level to sector 2, 3, 4 or 5, perhaps these sectors' linedefs could be impassable save for sector 2? It would prevent this annoyance and hint at the BFG secret.

Nice stuff. A problem with map 30:

Since it's map 30, telefragging is on. So the last teleporting horde of HK's and Rev's just telefrag each other, leaving only the cacos and the boss left.

Rocket trails is a very annoying feature btw. It screws up your sight when your firing + avoiding projectiles.

edit: Map02 was a bit to easy to skip through. You can just stand on the teleport destination and wait for the lift to lower without any worries at all. I would've made the more heavier monsters teleport to the other end of the room to force the player to actually "play" the map ;)

Sorry I'm just complaining! I actually really like it!

I'm alway happy when I see a new project to come, especially megaWADs. :)

MAP28 is freakin' epic.

This is reminiscient of Town Infection. Not that it would be a bad thing.
Also, congrats on a great set of levels!

rf` said:

Woo! Someone used my palette!

You're not gonna bite their face off? :p

mapgame.txt said:

Authors may NOT use the contents of this file as a base for modification or reuse.

Played up to 07 so far with some minor complaints.

Theirs too much health for my liking, particularly in 03 and 06, it would do well with a reduction in Medkits to prevent one from sliding past oweing to poor dodging reflexes and restocking afterwards.

I don't mind homages when executed well, however 04 seemed disappointing as it utilised familiar monster placement from HR2, I would have liked to see an additional nefarious twist to add to the barbarity of the wad, for instance the Cybs in the alcoves by the Soulspheres could use 3/4 AV's in them to add to the otherwise lack of chaos. Most notably are the Revenants by the BFG, all well and good but it's lacking, they could use 3/4 AV's in each alcove and additionally the ones at the end can easily be run past and should be supported by a few AV's.

Secondly I would have liked if the exit was guarded by 3 Cybs. However you redeemed yourself on 05 with that excellent claustrophobic Cyb battle after the teleporter, followed by another and a third surprise in store. However in all it retains the frantic thrills and spills combat of the HR series, but I must say without any shred of doubt that I dislike the use of 'Invulnerabilities' it really cripples the difficulty factor, I couldn't help but look upon in bitter aghast at the start of 15, entirely unnecessary.

An Invul should only be used in a very ardous battle or situation which requires the decimation of a large armada of hellspawn within a specific time frame, otherwise when your trusted aura of immorality dissipitates you'll be overwhelemed oweing to poor aggression and poor tactical use of weapons, this is demonstrated well in Sunder 06 and 08 wheir the player must kill enough hellspawn before the Invul wears out to render the area remotely safe to allow small space for dodging.

I am not carelessly criticising, I think 04 has potential to be optimised further if it added in AV's to help add to the chaos and assist the Revs, as while I do enjoy Rev spam in tight areas, it makes it even more hectic and fantastic if AV's are thrown into the mix aswell.

I haven't played yet but honestly I think invulnerabilities are the most underrated powerups

Neato. Played first few maps, idcleved and idclipped through rest. I'm not too fond of additional monsters though.

Phml said:

Much better HR2 than HR2.

I felt it's based on hr2 rather than hr. I think 3 or so maps are very similar to ones in hr2. Some of last maps reminded me of sod.

Gez said:

You're not gonna bite their face off? :p

It would have been nice if he asked me first, but I'm not going to rape his face over a palette.

The last 10 or so maps (22-32) are great, the rest are meh at best and ripoffs of maps from HR/2 and KS and others at worst. I tried fdaing the first 8 or so and it went horribly since I haven't played doom regularly in the past month. From around then I iddqd'ed my way through and once I got to around map 15, when the ripoffs of other maps ended, I started to enjoy myself more. At map22 or 23, the one with the remix of mute city form fzero as the midi, I found the gameplay and layouts I liked to see. The midi summed up my experience until map 15 or so, as remixes done badly.

I think JCD made these maps in chronological order as the remixes are mostly the early maps. I'd definitely get rid of them as it brings down the actually interesting maps later on, and a couple of the later ones are really cool and have little to do with the remixes in style. As J4rio said they remind me of SoD, or Vanguard's later maps, but red instead of orange. It might be my preference for hell episodes talking, but if he made more maps in that style I would've liked this wad much more.

Great wad!!!
Gameplay, monsters, palette, dehacked and mapping are just great!
Good job JCD!

General Rainbow Bacon said:

I like these random megawads out of nowhere.

Hell yes.

Downloading now.

MAP10, I will make hard map on condition their is health in every conceivable corner with secret Invul at start and another for laughs and kicks, has the length of Scythe with the gameplay of an easy/weak HR.

I can't take this wad seriously so far.

I like it, from what I've played so far, it isn't supposed to be epically hard, well the earlier maps anyway, though it might be because I get completely ripped apart in slaughter maps. Though I would say that map02 is very very easy.

I really like this so far (up to map08). It's great to see an HR style mapset for the non Doom gods among us.

I still hate Revenants, though.

Been playing this quite a bit last few days on ZDaemon, very good wad.

Teh palette looks a bit weird though, especially on the Belphagors. The black shading turns into brown with distance on their torsos which looks weird.

Freaking loved it. The soundtrack is really awesome, and I can see the touch of inspiration in HR/HRII, Deus Vult, Speed of Doom and some others. My applauses are yours.

I can't help but feel that map28 should be a secret map, it certainly has the feel ;) Not that I'm complaining just after the hard hellish battles in the rest of this episode, this map seems out of place...that's all