Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Katamori

What are you playing now?

Just finished Napalm by Alexander "Eternal" S aka Deadall. Absolutely brilliant map, chock full of enemies and secrets. Love this guy's maps! (He's written some real classics - Remain01, Epic, Epic2, etc)

I conquered Vae Victus 2 again, and like I said before, it wasn't nearly as tough as the original, but Map07 somewhat made up for it.

Just finished MAP09 'The Cage' of Sunder on UV for the first time with 1 health point left after persistent saving throughout. The hardest doom map I have ever played. Now to take on MAP11->14 when I muster enough strength.

Doomed Deja Vu: fun OG Doom collage from Jimi. Some of the fights are difficult to the point of tedium, though I never had a problem with the containment area homage that seems to have been the major roadblock in the release thread. Hates the anomaly homage once it got to flipping switches, though.

Phobos Directive: Havent played Revisited but I had a lot of fun with this. The only new enemy I really liked was the Sand Demon; the rest I'm apathetic to. The alt fires were kind of cool. Mainly I liked the large chunks of maps featuring most of the 3D geometry. Looking forward to the stripped-down Revisited whenever I get to it.

Tantrum: an oldie but goodie from Ola. This is a lot easier than I remember it (not misremembering Tantrum 2). The main stumbling block was not knowing about the mega sphere; if you have that, you should be able to ace the map no problem. Kind of reminds me of a stripped down Anderson map.

Khorus's Speedy Shit: Almost done with this; its been a non-stop thrill ride. I don't mind the increased difficulty given the map size. The leap in difficulty for the latter maps was unexpected but quite welcome. The secret maps were very nice, too.

Now playing Dark Covenant, a 12-map episode from 1996, currently on MAP06. The visuals are pretty crude, but the gameplay's incredibly fun!

Philnemba said:

Just recently playthrough my The Shores of Phil Doom 1 episode for the first since I finish it over a year ago.

Nothing wrong playing with my own maps ;)

Nothing wrong with planting seeds in other Doomer's minds either. :P

Heh, somehow I never actually finished this mapset, though I remember enjoying what I had played. Cool.

Playing Threshold of Pain...its one of my favorite pwads, even though alot of things are borrowed from Midway.

Also playing Plutonia, finally on Map25, never have gotten that far before, I'm playing on Hurt Me Plenty, that difficulty is hard enough....

Played through Interdiction Zone by Jim Flynn, an old map from 1994, but a classic. Really loved the puzzles and challenges that required ingenuity and skill, and I love the unique design and architecture of Jim Flynn's maps, from this map, to the Titan Series, to his Enigma episode, and his three maps from Eternal Doom. Well, might go back to replay PRCP.

Finished KSSHT and wrote a really shitty review. Those last few maps were pretty diabolical, but I loved it all the same. Actually, the boss map was way easier than I expected, but it's nice to have a shooter that isn't Hell Revealed.

Run Buddy was way more fun to play than I initially expected. I got the impression like it was some kind of virtual playground made for the sake of killing monsters (actually that's what most maps are but I hope you get the point). It was a little empty at times but I think it added a different element of difficulty. Loved the enormous visuals.

Deimos: Slight Return was pretty much what I expected it to be. I had fun replaying The Shores with some layout differences (and tougher fights). Fun for some slightly updated nostalgia.

On to replay Tantrum 2 (which I'm sure I'll be much better at with nearly two years of additional Doom experience behind me) and then Hell Awakened.

Finished Sunder MAP11 'The Furnace' with Scoredoom + add-on pack. Much easier thanks to the add-on pack powerups that get spawned in with placed monsters, so I definitely 'cheated'. I need to try this w.o. the add-on pack, as it would be MUCH MUCH harder.

The lava step puzzle part was infuriating, but rewarding. The overall dropping into the deep and fighting your way up and out of the massive caverns concept was truly grande.

Damnit, I missed 1000th post!

Nevermind, I want to thanks for the lot of comments you left here in my topic. I've never though that I'd be able to open a thread which will have 1000 replies.

It was a great idea for a thread, Katamori. It's interesting to see what people are playing and their comments and it's also introduced me to several good maps that I've totally missed before. Onward and upward to the 2000th post!

Congrats on the 1000th post Katamori! Having this thread around gives a comforting thought, so I think I'll celebrate by pitching in my own 2 cents on wads I'm playing right now. They are all fresh new uploads from the archive:

Dances with Hellspawn by David J. Finnamore zdoom2.5 FDA
A delight of a level to play providing a decent challenge while at the same time packing in enough new visuals and sound effects to make this a fresh doom experience. Whats more is that you never know what you'll trigger next, so that element of surprise always keeps the player on their toes.

Doomers.wad by Dave Kernen zdoom2.5 FDA
I found this to be quite a fun and compact play experience. The difficulty level could use some raising, and there were a few monsters that were stuck in the walls, but overall not a bad noob map. I knocked it down a point for the uninspired concept and the uniform lighting.

Beef Balogna by kaiser_wilhelm2 zdoom2.5 FDA
I loved this level! Detailing is decent albeit a bit to blocky at times, but the gameplay easily excuses this. The creative ways in which the author reuses previously explored spaces and interconnects unreachable areas makes this level seem a lot bigger then it really it is! If anything, its a great exercise in mapping.

Whew! Finished Darkening 2 on UV for the first time! I know a lot of the old hands here would consider this a stroll in the park compared to the real slaughter wads like Hell Revealed, etc but I found the last levels of this one hard going. And what a beautifully constructed wad it is, real class.

aldiboronti said:

Whew! Finished Darkening 2 on UV for the first time! I know a lot of the old hands here would consider this a stroll in the park compared to the real slaughter wads like Hell Revealed, etc but I found the last levels of this one hard going. And what a beautifully constructed wad it is, real class.

Rather easy, but a few moments can be troublesome
- The beginning of MAP05
- A few spots in MAP08 in which you cannot retreat
- MAP09 because it's so long, the level is just waiting for you to make this one fatal mistake :)
- After that it's easier until the very beautiful and very annoying MAP12 :)
Cool to hear people still play it, one of my favourites.

Since I was on vacation and was too unfamiliar with the computer I was running Hell Awakened on (super tough mapset, I'm sure more people would eat it up if Saulter made it Boom-compatible), I gave the infamous Laura Beyer's Doom a run-through.

It's actually worse than I expected (I assumed reports were greatly exaggerated) but if you brush aside the worst of it there are some genuinely neat gameplay moments. The final official maps appear to draw some inspiration from Doomsday at UAC at the very least and are among the best it has to offer, including some kind of space station that's blowing up on itself (barrel SFX). I really really hate the Bonus maps, though.

Also replayed Zeus, one of the first PWADs I can actually recall. It's not nearly as good as I remembered, but it tickled my imagination into considering what a more deliberately H. R. Giger-ish Doom might look like.

gun_psycho said:

It's definitely taking a while.

Seems to me you are finishing up megawads on a daily basis, almost :P

@darkreaver - Yeah, I've finished up the original Hell Revealed yesterday, I think. It took me quite a bit to get through Map32 of HRII, but nevertheless, I totally beat it.

Edit: Now I finished Hell Revealed 2. Map30, looking at it now, might not have been so climactic, but it's still no pushover. Next up: Alien Vendetta.

Edit 2: I'm currently in map12 of Alien Vendetta, having blown through Map11 a little more quickly. (I'm not doing those megawads in one sitting.)

I'm doing AV too for the first time. Just finished Map02. The first 2 maps were great, and the next one looks even better...

Still grinding away at Hell Awakened. I feel your pain, Phobus. The maps are great but drawn-out and difficult.

I'm currently playing through the 11 map Unholy Realms demo and it's been quite enjoyable so far.

Just finished Revolution!, an old 32 map megawad for Doom II by one of my favorite mappers, Thomas van der Velden. A beautifully put-together megawad, maps are short but seem longer because they're so well made, with cunning traps, non-intuitive routes and interesting secrets. Monster count is low, ammo usually generous even on UV so it's not the hardest megawad in the world. But it certainly is one of the most enjoyable!