Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Scypek2

Your most stupid editing mistake?

I haven't noticed here any thread like that before. So, we were all unexperienced when we were starting editing. And there's no way to avoid mistakes at the beginning. When I made my very first door, it refused to work. Then, I found out - hey, that linedefs probably should be activated from the front! So I looked at the doombuilder options and clicked... "flip selection horisontally". Unique experience. Don't try.

Scypek2 said:

Unique experience. Don't try.

wtf

OT: Not THAT stupid, but in my first 10 or so maps I always made sectors and raised/lowered them to the ceiling/floor instead of just deleting them when I wanted solid structures like pillars and stuff.

Turning off monsters for test gameplay, and forgetting. As a result, I thought my DB2 was glitched so I spent several weeks trying to figure out what the hell was happening, and then having to get a new desk after realizing the truth and facedesking very hard.

GreyGhost said:

Forgetting to add tag numbers to switches, sometimes with very interesting results.

Ha.. yeah. I once sank an entire city into lava because I forgot to add a tag number. Created some insanely WTF visuals that I never bothered to screenshot.

Oh, those regretful decisions.

Forgetting the player start. You can't make dumber than that and yet you'll surely do it again.

Losing track of my switch tags and forgetting to remove my voodoo doll...

Even more nooby, forgetting to lower the floor when I make a door so it gets all wonky and shit on me.

When i first started making maps i tried making a sector over a sector like you would in Duke3d it didnt turn out as i would expect it would

I also accidentally lowered crusher sector to floor. That actually created an interesting shaking effect.

When I first opened DB2, the very first time, I noticed the "scale" setting on the bottom of the screen, got an intuitive feel for what it was without even trying it, then... Forgot about it completely, until a month ago.

For two years, every <32px architecture I've made in my maps, including numerous straight lines or geometric shapes, I've painstakingly drawn by hand rather than changing the scale.

Phml said:

You can press e for an edit window on the right if you don't know. Its kinda like a cryptic iddqd-type cheat code so maybe lots of people don't know. Luckily its only 1 letter.rtr5ffffffffffff (my cat really did type those last letters. She is good at internets.)

I don't mean scaling entire structures (which is indeed very useful and I discovered that thanks to one of your posts last year) but rather the "grid size" setting at the bottom of the screen, which is set by default at 32 map pixels.

Yes, my wording was... confusing.

I don't know if I made any colossally stupid mistakes when I started other than the standard n00b mistakes like breaking doors and such.

Phml said:

I don't mean scaling entire structures (which is indeed very useful and I discovered that thanks to one of your posts last year) but rather the "grid size" setting at the bottom of the screen, which is set by default at 32 map pixels.

Yes, my wording was... confusing.

You can use the bracket keys [ and ] to change the grid scale too ;)

When I "discovered" grid size change option, I used to lose my sense of scale and I end up creating 4 units thick doors and nukage pits where player could barely fit into.

You can use the bracket keys [ and ] to change the grid scale too ;)

Extremely inconvenient on AZERTY keyboards! But, yeah, I could remap that so that's not a valid excuse, and I probably should do it even if I'm going to forget about it within a week. Thanks.

K!r4 said:

Forgetting the player start. You can't make dumber than that and yet you'll surely do it again.

I once spent an embarrassingly long time trying to figure out why Chocolate Doom was closing before rendering my map.

Scypek2 said:

I also accidentally lowered crusher sector to floor. That actually created an interesting shaking effect.

I've actually used the "silent crusher" this way before intentionally. Done correctly, it can create a sort of humming effect (or drilling sound) that makes it sound like there's still some machinery operating around the player. Adds a nice feel to the map.

I don't really remember my mistakes from back then, but something that bothers me a lot still is changing difficulty tags on things and then putting new things down. All of a sudden Easy has less health, a missing key or teleporter etc. D:

Dragonsbrethren said:

I once spent an embarrassingly long time trying to figure out why Chocolate Doom was closing before rendering my map.

Heh. How I understand you.

When I first started to use Doom Builder 2, I made a really crappy door, but I went to look for YouTube tutorials and I got help to make door and other things in maps.

Another thing was that I didn't know that you could change the grid size which meant I made doors that we're really wide.

A HUGE mistake I made was that when I wanted to save MAP02 in my Doom WAD, I selected Save instead of Save map into thus I lost MAP01 and had to make it again.

While editing the hi-res sound pack I have on a couple of occasions saved a 32kHz, 8bit sound over the 44kHz, 16bit "master" file. It can sometimes be difficult to see which folder you save to in CoolEdit95.

When I tried doing my first door I was clueless as to the fact you actually had to draw a sector to make a door. For some reason, I figured that if you drew a line in a room and gave it a door action, a door would magically appear.

Needless to say it produced some interesting results.

@Martenmar
just what I did for the first time! But my level didn't even started at all.
Also, another annoying mistake that I'm constantly making: marking a sector, giving it a tag, marking a line, giving it a tag and action... When sector is still selected. Welcome to the world of teleports teleporting to themselves and other wonders.

Marnetmar said:

When I tried doing my first door I was clueless as to the fact you actually had to draw a sector to make a door. For some reason, I figured that if you drew a line in a room and gave it a door action, a door would magically appear.

Needless to say it produced some interesting results.

That's what I kind of thought too.

Also, another editing mistake I had was when converting pictures to Doom graphics on Slade3. Everytime I would convert a image (like a PNG for example) to a Doom graphic, the colors would get completely messed up. I thought something was wrong with the program at first, but then I realized I was converting the image to Existing/Global instead of Doom. I couldn't believe I missed out on choosing to convert the image to a Doom graphic instead of a Existing/Global graphic.

Scypek2 said:

When I "discovered" grid size change option, I used to lose my sense of scale and I end up creating 4 units thick doors and nukage pits where player could barely fit into.

Yeah, same here. It took me a while to grasp the player's size relative to everything.

When I first started Doom editing, I edited the doom 2 iwad. I placed a Revenant inside a cage in the brown room of map01, but somehow made the whole level into one big crusher as a side-effect. Also I placed SS Nazis everywhere, becuase in my imagination they were UAC soldiers. Yeah.

Hmm, I've got a short write-up on KDiZD that describes a little something-something I did once. Just dawned on me that I never posted it online, though... whoops. ;)

Anyhow,

...one time when I was working on "Protean Cybex" for Hacx (the eventual MAP16 of Hacx 2.0)... Doom Builder 2 was still in beta, and I switched to it halfway through the map's development process. It all worked well until a bug caused the editor to incorrectly create a large open sector where there was supposed to be void (i.e. a wall)... The best part is since I had only opened the editor to make a super-minor tweak, I ended up not noticing this until AFTER I had sent the revised version to a bunch of people. Whoops. :P

I edited doom 2 iwad

I did it to... And I realised what PWAD is far too late. Now I have to somewhat change my iwad to pwad, and I have new graphics already...