Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vermil

Doomsday 1.9.7 Re-released

Deng team have re-released the recently released 1.9.7 with a number of stability fixes. It can be downloaded from here and the release notes can be found here.

Heh, moved before I could edit it: the release notes can actually be found here.

The link in the above post accidently links to the original 1.9.7 release notes.

Contrary to what this news post states - the new sound effect features are not included in this release (check the release notes). This release simply patches a few stability (crashing) issues that were found since the initial 1.9.7 release.

Indeed, I noticed that after I posted.

Hence why I PM'ed Bloodshedder about removing the new feature from the above right after I had posted :)

I find it very confusing that this re-release is marked as Build 439, but is actually a patch of Build 425 and not a continuation from Build 438.

Vermil said:

I find it very confusing that this re-release is marked as Build 439, but is actually a patch of Build 425 and not a continuation from Build 438.

Maybe they were working on unrelated branches?

Vermil said:

You are making an association between build number and version number. The build number is time sensitive and increases each day regardless of whether we make a build or not, or which branch we happen to build from on the day.

It is called 1.9.7.1 :p

I don't see how it can be so confusing; buildnumber != versionnumber

DaniJ said:

It is called 1.9.7.1 :p

I don't see how it can be so confusing; buildnumber != versionnumber

oh, well "re-released the recently released 1.9.7" gave a distinct impression that they just repackaged it as the same version, like the same exact package name.

The actual package is called '1.9.7-build 439' and the console in game also calls it'self that. For reference, the original 1.9.7 release was called '1.9.7-build 425'.

Even Skyjake didn't call it 1.9.7.1 in his news post at the Dday forums. Rather he only called it an update for 1.9.7.

But yes, as Deng state, I missed that the build number refers to the day the build was made on, rather than having anything to do with the release (up until this point previous builds included everything in the previous builds).

DaniJ said:

You are making an association between build number and version number. The build number is time sensitive and increases each day regardless of whether we make a build or not, or which branch we happen to build from on the day.

I don't understand that, do you mean that the revision number increases daily even if you don't commit anything? Or by build you mean "uploaded binary"?

printz said:

I don't understand that, do you mean that the revision number increases daily even if you don't commit anything? Or by build you mean "uploaded binary"?

every time a person commits code or art or anything to their repository. read up on basic revision control. they probably use Subversion or CVS.

Zeroth said:

every time a person commits code or art or anything to their repository. read up on basic revision control. they probably use Subversion or CVS.

Nope. Many programs use the revision numbers that way.

The build number for Doomsday however, refers to the day the build was made on, since they started the build system. For instance this re-release was built on the 439th day.

Vermil said:

Nope. Many programs use the revision numbers that way.

The build number for Doomsday however, refers to the day the build was made on, since they started the build system. For instance this re-release was built on the 439th day.

oh, neat. what software do you use exactly?

printz said:

Perhaps our new Build Repository interface will help to explain the set up we use (you'll find links to relevant wiki articles there too if you want more info).

Indeed, it's much easier to understand than the old one.

Should elevate the confusion of the by date rather than by build, build numbering.

I'm having an issue with the snowberry launcher. Where it will only start, but not seem to pop up like it's supposed to. So the icon will sit in the taskbar and not do anything. I dunno what is going on with that, but it worked a week or so ago.

Tried reinstalling and restarting my computer. But neither seem to have helped.

Uninstall Doomsday and then manually rename the Doomsday Frontend directory in your user data folder (e.g., c:/users/kristus/Doomsday Frontend) to something else, then re-install. Test to ensure everything works and then systematically move your data back to its correct place.

Doing the above should allow you to pinpoint what is causing the problem.

Hm, my intermission texts doesn't appear in Doomsday. Even though they worked in Vanilla when I still was testing it in that.

DaniJ said:

How are you changing them?

DeHackEd "Text" lines.

Here's an example from Batman Doom:

Text 312 315
YOU ARE AT THE CORRUPT HEART OF THE CITY,
SURROUNDED BY THE CORPSES OF YOUR ENEMIES.
YOU SEE NO WAY TO DESTROY THE CREATURES'
ENTRYWAY ON THIS SIDE, SO YOU CLENCH YOUR
TEETH AND PLUNGE THROUGH IT.

THERE MUST BE A WAY TO CLOSE IT ON THE
OTHER SIDE. WHAT DO YOU CARE IF YOU'VE
GOT TO GO THROUGH HELL TO GET TO IT?TWO FACE IS FINISHED, YOUR BATTLE FOR
GOTHAM IS COMING TO AN END. YOU FEEL
RELIEVED, BUT ONLY FOR A MOMENT. THE
CITY IS STILL A HURRICANE OF CRIME.
WHAT CAN ONE MAN DO ALONE, IN A NIGHT
OF ETERNAL EVIL AND VIOLENCE?

YOU CAN ONLY CURSE THE BAT THAT CASTS
A SHADOW ON YOUR HEART. ONE MAN
AGAINST HELL. LET THEM COME.

I think Kristus is more likely to refer to his Hexen mod, and therefore to the Hexen CLUS[1-4]MSG and WIN[1-3]MSG lumps.

Yes. Indeed I am. :) And it's not so much an issue with the text, as it is an issue with the intermission text not showing up at all.

//First map is a map that only exist to end, so I can start the episode with a text screen. Using lump CLUS1MSG.
map 1 ""
warptrans 1
next 30
cluster 1
cdtrack 7

//Second map is the actual Map01. The intermission text between this map and 02 is using lump CLUS2MSG.
map 30 "Map01"
warptrans 60
next 2
cluster 2
sky1 SKY2 0
sky2 SKY3 0
lightning
cdtrack 20

//Third map is the actual Map02.  The intermission text between this map and 03 is using lump CLUS3MSG.
map 2 "Map02"
warptrans 2
next 3
cluster 3
sky1 FOGSF 20
sky2 SKYFOG 60
fadetable fogmap
cdtrack 2
Between each of these maps there are supposed to show up a intermission text screen. But it just seem to carry on to the next map.

EDIT: DaniJ, I sent you a PM with a link for a wad you can test with.