Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Marnetmar

Mr. Ideas Guy is Back.

Hey guys, I'm back with another most likely pointless idea just for the sake of seeing what you guys think, like that one "Halloween" idea I had. Anyway, what if one was to design a MMO based on something like Gzdoom/eternity? Would it be possible with the tools we currently have available? Is it a good idea, like, at all?

I don't think that GZDoom or Eternity are good choices. I don't know much about Eternity, but I assume that it uses peer-to-peer multiplayer, and isn't very scriptable (I could be wrong though). While GZDoom is very scriptable, it only uses peer-to-peer, and if I'm not mistakened, only supports 16 players.

Skulltag is not as scriptable as GZDoom, but it's close, and it uses client-server for multiplayer instead. AFAIK, it can handle more players as well.

Over all, the Doom engine isn't very well designed for MMOs, and I don't think many people would be very interested in playing it anyway.

Wouldn't this require a new Doom port capable of serving sessions of very many players, and supporting mega-hubs? And how would it play like? World of Warcraft?

Quite sure you can make anything, such as a free WoW clone on an engine based on Doom's, if you know what to program.

There's this already:

http://www.skulltag.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=27899

I can't save player's data in multiplayer. That is why each players start with 60 levels in multiplayer.
This mod designed by multiplayer purpose, but basically this mod is singleplayer mod

Also, in singleplayer, player recieve something like code when pick up items.
This codes can be used in multiplayer, puke and enter code, player recieve those items.
(But not support quest items)

printz said:

And how would it play like? World of Warcraft?

I don't have any particular vision in my head, I'm just curious to see if it's possible.

You'll never get something that is massively multiplayer on the Doom engine, unless you start writing your own port. Odamex claims "theoretical support for 255 players"; I guess the "theoretical" disclaimer is there to say it has never been tested with near that many people in the same game at once. Skulltag supports 32 players IIRC; and was only filled to capacity in that way once in its history.

Which brings a second point, you wouldn't have any players on the same server to make it massively online even if you found an engine that supports 4000+ players at once. You'd get maybe 20 people if your mod is popular.

Gez said:
Skulltag supports 32 players IIRC; and
was only filled to capacity in that way
once in its history...

...You'd get maybe 20 people if your mod is popular. [/B]

Then I guess the 32 player limit shouldn't be a problem. It would be really cool to have a Doom MMO with all sorts of character classes ( B.J., Doomguy, Corvus...) that could grow in level like the ones in WOW.

It'd be fun to see B.J. evolve like a Pokemon, until he becomes some kind of Hulk, killing 50 Nazis in one hit...

[PROTOTYPE] said:

It'd be fun to see B.J. evolve like a Pokemon, until he becomes some kind of Hulk, killing 50 Nazis in one hit...

What the fuck?

Gez said:

Skulltag supports 32 players IIRC; and was only filled to capacity in that way once in its history.

I know this can't be true since Unidoom drew a 32/32 crowd twice in recent clan matches! on top

Gez said:

You'll never get something that is massively multiplayer on the Doom engine, unless you start writing your own port. Odamex claims "theoretical support for 255 players"; I guess the "theoretical" disclaimer is there to say it has never been tested with near that many people in the same game at once. Skulltag supports 32 players IIRC; and was only filled to capacity in that way once in its history.

zdaemon 1.09 caps at 50 players and afaik the current record is mid-40's during one of the TNS sessions.