Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Sephiroth

what should i get?

well i am getting a laptop for my graduation so i want to know what brands are the best, who sells more for less, and what can i order on it. here is my list of things i would like, AMD athlon or athlon XP 1Ghz or more, 256Mb ram, super XGA display or better, LINUX OS,
so i was wondering what companies would sell me a LINUX/AMD system. i though dell would but they only offer intel parts. i would also like to spen no more than 1600

I'd say just focus on getting the AMD. You can get yourself copies of Linux for next to nothing (or nothing if you've got DSL & a CDRW-Rom). Just do yourself a favor, and try to learn as much about the laptop you want to buy as possible, and then look around in your personal Linux community... there is always the chance of a horrible hardware problem that might make you want to reconsider.

Well Dell is pretty much owned and operated by Intel so there's no point in looking in that direction. You could try Gateway. They'll cost more but you should be able to get a payment plan which makes the actual payment part a hell of a lot easier.

Look into IBM laptops, I don't know shit about them.

As always, stay the fuck as far from Compaq as you can physically manage.

Also, AFAIK there are two main gaming cards in the laptop community, a 'geforce go' and a 'radeon mobility'. Both the wonder keywords 'go' and 'mobility' yell one thing at me, 'watered down'.

Screw Dell, go with SuperDell! Special discount for Concealed-Carry Permit holders! (Seriously, halfway down the page)

As if this weren't enough to earn the loyalty of computer-savvy gun owners, he also offers $100 off any computer purchase if the customer will bring in their handgun and concealed weapon permit. Out-of-state purchasers can simply fax their permits.

Hey Seph, I bought a laptop recently. I'm using it right now. Contact me by e-mail or forum messenger, and I'll be able to give you lots of help.

Meh, let's just do this here. Here's a good way to start.. Go through the following list of features and tell me how important each one is.. What you would like to see in it, how important each option is to you... (In no particular order)

Graphics & 3D acceleration:
Speaker quality:
Display size and resolution:
Battery life:
Thin and light:
Hard drive space:
Memory:
Processor speed & brand:
DVD? CD-RW?...:
Other stuff?...:
Warranty and damage insurance?...:
Preferable price range:

deathwarrior said:

Fuck factory-manufactured comps. Build your own.

Amen. But you can't do that with laptops.