Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nibe

Fixing messed up wad, possible at all?

So I started to train myself to make some scripting and special ZDooM stuff. Anywway I wanted to have more textures so I took patches from D1 & D2 & merged them (I made proper PNAMES and used D2 TEXTURE1 lump as base) When I try to make new textures with Wad Mangle 2 texture editor, the program crashes. (Some weird out of memory I guess, before I could even see the editor) I tried different ways to get that texture editor working, but none of my methods didn't work. I tried to load my map into game, just for trying one trigger, what I made earlier, but transparent Cyan parts of textures, were not drawn as transparent. Some textures had cyan parts showing and DB2 did show cyan parts too... I don't remember changing anything, just looked my wad and then I tried to load my map into the game.

I overlooked my wad again, but when testing, the game could not find textures, and everything was black. (Sprites were ok.) So I was like WTF? Because I didn't touch anything. So I looked my wad again and deleted ANIMDEFS lump, because thought it could cause some problems. (And I made some random clicking on stuff, without changing anything.) I couldn't get texture editor working & couldn't make textures so animating something, that won't exist could cause trouble.

Now when I try to load a wad with D2&D1 patches, D2 TEXTURE1 lump, PNAMES lump and one map, the ZDooM gives orange error messages saying Invalid Data Encountered For Texture [my wad name] [texture name]

I cleaned up wad with XWE editors clean up function.
I checked that patches are marked as patches & lumps look ok. Anyone know what to do?

Nibe said:

When I try to make new textures with Wad Mangle 2 texture editor, the program crashes.

Never heard of that thing. Use SLADE 3 instead.

Nibe said:

but transparent Cyan parts of textures, were not drawn as transparent.

Cyan is not transparent
CYAN IS NOT TRANSPARENT

Nibe said:

I checked that patches are marked as patches & lumps look ok. Anyone know what to do?

Look at how it looks like SLADE 3.

Nibe said:

... to make new textures with Wad Mangle 2 texture editor...

Well, it appears that this editor does exactly what it's name implies.

Use XWE if you know how to set it up and use properly.
Otherwise, as already suggested, use Slade3, which is user friendly and loaded with features to support most source ports.

Xaser said:

You're forgetting how non-obvious this fact is. Relevant rant.

Hahahaha, his second and third posts here at Doomworld were already on this transparency topic.

Xaser said:

You're forgetting how non-obvious this fact is. Relevant rant.

I think it is plenty obvious when you start playing and there's a huge cyan box around your sprite. Then you go on a forum and say "but I thought cyan was transparent" and you get told "nope, cyan isn't transparent at all!" and the confusion is dispelled and everyone is happy.

printz said:

Hahahaha, his second and third posts here at Doomworld were already on this transparency topic.

Are you really in the habit of looking at people's post history whenever they intervene in a thread? Shine on, you crazy stalker.

Gez said:

I think it is plenty obvious when you start playing and there's a huge cyan box around your sprite. Then you go on a forum and say "but I thought cyan was transparent" and you get told "nope, cyan isn't transparent at all!" and the confusion is dispelled and everyone is happy.

If only life was that simple, I seem to recall follow-up questions like "which colour is transparent?" and "should I use index 255?". People often have difficulty grasping the concept that transparency in Doom isn't defined by the palette, when practically every editor behaves as if it is.

Gez said:

Are you really in the habit of looking at people's post history whenever they intervene in a thread? Shine on, you crazy stalker.

Naah, I just do that occasionally, if I need to prove a point (which is in this case not too important). Sorry for that, though.