Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
[PROTOTYPE]

Cool Doom weapons article

I found this article yesterday while browsing the 'net. It tries to explain some technical data about the guns in Doom, while also speculating about their provenience and possible real-life variants.

I found it to be great, since it answers a lot of questions, so I really wanted to share it with you guys:

writeups.org/fiche.php?id=5147

Enjoy!

This is pretty cool information on the Doom weapons, but shouldn't this go in Doom General instead of Everything Else?

Edit: Or do you keep making the mistake often? If so, then how?

NitroactiveStudios said:

This is pretty cool information on the Doom weapons, but shouldn't this go in Doom General instead of Everything Else?

Edit: Or do you keep making the mistake often? If so, then how?

I thought it was more appropiate for Everything Else, since it does not directly concern the game, but some random site about Doom.

EDIT: Sue me.

This means that long-distance shots (with the Shotgun) are unlikely to be effective,

Looks like someone hasn't gone Shotgun sniping before. :P

Darkman 4 said:

Looks like someone hasn't gone Shotgun sniping before. :P

Well, I prefer to do the sniping with the chaingun, too.

Officially, "BFG" stands for something like "Bio-Force Gun"

So much for any reputability that that article may have had.

Oh? The reputability went away as soon as they mentioned the Doom wikia as their source.

Officially, "BFG" stands for something
like "Bio-Force Gun"

I prefer the term Blast Field Generator. It's more realistic for a mass-production weapon. Because, seriously, who would name their product Big Fucking Gun?

DoomUK said:

I always thought the pistol was based on a Beretta 92.

I like the PX4 better. It's damn sexy.

[PROTOTYPE] said:
I prefer the term Blast Field Generator. It's more realistic for a mass-production weapon. Because, seriously, who would name their product Big Fucking Gun?

The product isn't named Big Fucking Gun. It's named BFG 9000. That BFG actually stands for Big Fucking Gun is a little joke shared by UAC engineers, and not told to their customers unless it looks like it'd impress them.

[PROTOTYPE] said:

id would. Your opinion is irrelevant.

Gez said:

It's named BFG 9000.

With or without space? that is the question.

Jodwin said:

THEY DESECRATED THE HOLY BFG!

HOW VERY DARE THEY (NOW WITH EXTREME AUDIO!!!)

D: YES! I CAN FEEL IT NOW !!! THE ADRENALINE PUMPING !!! LORD ALMIGHTY,
I FEEL MY TEMPERATURE RISIN', FOR I GOT MY BABY BFG HERE!!!

M: ...wwwhhat..? B-F-G? You mean, like, the BioForce Gun?

D: ..!!!!! I WILL TEACH YOU DAEMON LOVER FOR DESECRATING THE HOLY BFG, the
Lord Almighty wants you punished..!!

printz said:

With or without space? that is the question.

A dash is out of the question?

Maes said:

Not unlike the Alpha BFG?

The pre-release BFG looks cool because of all the projectiles it shoots, while the Q3 BFG is just a boring Q3 Plasma Gun clone with bigger-looking projectiles.

The Alpha BFG sucked a HUGE ammount of CPU, dropping the framerate to a crawl on '93 computers.I think that's the main reason why it got scrapped
But it had some humongous firepower.

It wasn't that bad; it's just forty fireballs at once. It'd affect performances on a low-end computer of the era, but not to slideshow level.

The problem was that said firepower was mostly wasted, as few of the balls would touch anything. They wanted a room-cleaning weapon, this only shot mostly forward and there'd be like maybe 15 of the projectiles that would damage an enemy, the rest would impact on the walls.

Not if you go melee against a Spiderdemon, in which case it's as effective as the final magical ray-tracing BFG9000 at killing it quickly.

I wonder how the game would play if the beta BFG shots home on various targets. Untestable in Eternity (FireOldBFG has no option for homing missiles).

printz said:
I wonder how the game would play if the beta BFG shots home on various targets. Untestable in Eternity (FireOldBFG has no option for homing missiles). [/B]

Like the Revenant ones? That'd be cool, but I don't think it would have much tactical use.

printz said:

Untestable in Eternity (FireOldBFG has no option for homing missiles).

Easily testable in ZDoom, as you can make projectiles acquire their own targets* if they don't have one. (And by "target", I mean "tracer" of course. Doom source code has a confusing approach to vocabulary.)

If you use the old BFG in GZDoom, aim as straight up or down as you can. (You need OpenGL since the software renderer is mathematically incapable of giving you a straight vertical line of vision.) The balls will bounce up and down for a long, long while, allowing you to create a "curtain of death" to trap monsters that would pass through it.

Hm, back in the day I heard, that when someone asked id employees what does BFG stand for, they replied - of course - Big Fucking Gun, but since the press couldn't really quote it, they always told them the "official, press-friendly name" is Billion Fireball Gun, as it was still in Beta Stage, when it spew out BILLION (official non-advertisement specifications describe this number as somenthing closer to fourty, heh) fireballs.

Anyone heard it before?

I think one of the manuals (or some other old document from the time) used the slightly-more kid-friendly "Big Fraggin' Gun." It may have been in reference to Q2's BFG, though, now that I think about it.

DoomUK said:

Though it's an initialism, not an acronym. Unless "bfg" is a word somewhere. :p

thefreedictionary.com said:

ac·ro·nym
n.
A word formed from the initial letters of a name, such as WAC for Women's Army Corps, or by combining initial letters or parts of a series of words, such as radar for radio detecting and ranging.

;-)