Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
dsm

Mounted weapons

This is a Half Life/RtCW inspired idea: Mounted weapons for the player to overtake to add a little flavour!

To me, it was a little dissapointing that RtCW only had machineguns as mounted weapons - if "Doom 3" has mounted weapons there should be a variety of autocannons, plasma cannons and mortars or something like that.

Unlike RtCW and Half Life, ammunition for these babies should be limited imo - adds more suspense if you can't just go berserk with the gun because the ammo is limited imo.

What do you think? Should they be there or do you think it'd run the "Doom feel"?

Maybe for something special, like taking down a boss or something. I personally like the idea of where there's a trick to beating the boss like in HL, so maybe there could be a "puzzle" involving a mounted gun used to take out an otherwise invulnerable enemy.

Trying to beat the last boss of Op4 with just mounted guns was damn annoying, IMHO.

One of the cool things with MoH:AA was that any character, PC or NPC, could use any mounted gun. If you capped a gunner, another enemy could dash in and grab the gun, and friendly NPCs would grab abandoned guns to help you defend an objective.

Here's an idea for Doom 3: A friendly NPC is holding off a horde of monster with a mounted gun, but is killed. A former human dashes in, grabs the gun, and turns it in your direction.

As long as they're not there for opportunity (i.e. bosses, spawning crowds, etc) it's fine by me. Besides the code to spawn projectiles from brushes has so many interesting possibilities, specially in the teamplay mod scenes.

Well, part of my idea was actually that former humans would be using them against you by default - actually this idea was inspired by Quake 2 (where you couldn't use the guns, but Enforcers were using 'em against you) rather than HL and RtCW, because I got the idea of mounted guns long ago (I just recalled it today)

Oh and the feature from MoH:AA you mentioned is in RtCW too AFAIK - just not as evident :-)

I suppose it depends on the type of mounted weapon:

Heavy chaingun - Uses really big bullets (like .50cal) that the character cant carry around. Is extremly dangerous cause it does more damage than a minigun. Good to take down a horde of cyberdemons attacking some kind of fortified position.

Rocket Launcher - Would have to be used for a very specific purpose like blowing down a wall. It wouldnt be much more spectacular than simply shooting a rocket at an enemy if you were using it for combat purposes.

Railgun - Antiarcraft purpose or something. Perhaps kill a big monster with it (again, the puzzle idea, railgun assemly missing some pieces). Would be incredibly inappropriate for any other smaller enemies.

Plasma Cannon - Plasma minigun, defensive gun placements are a nice place for it.

BFG Cannon - Takes out whole hordes of enemies - think map08 from doom2 (the room with the barons+cyber, not the room with the imps).

My own mounted weapon suggestions:
Chaingun cannon - a slower firing chaingun which fires heavy shells, which explode on impact (though each explosion is much less powerful than the impact of a rocket from the old Doom game).

Cannon - fires instant hit (almost) rocket explosions, 'nuff said.

Mortar - a sort of beefed up grenade launcher with grenades that explode on contact with a surface.

Hyper cannon - a sort of beefed up Q2 hyper blaster that fires plasma pulses at plasma rifle firing rate, but does more damage than the regular plasma rifle.

I'd say save it for quake 4 or whatever. Mounted weapons are not doomish.

Hmm yeah, you might be right - they would fit in a more war-like atmosphere, but not as much in Doom's sci-fi horror atmosphere.