Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Brewtal_Legend

PSX/D64 sound effects .wav?

I was wondering if anyone has/knows where I could find the weapon, player, monster, etc sound effects from the psx and n64 versions of doom in wav format? Not in a wad.

Wasn't sure whether to put this here in general or editing.

Thanks.

Technician said:

Why not in a wad? All the wave files you are looking for can be found in the Absolution TC.

Not in a wad because I don't want to use them in a wad. I actually wanted to try using them in DoomRL but I need them in wav format.

Brewtal_Legend said:

Not in a wad because I don't want to use them in a wad. I actually wanted to try using them in DoomRL but I need them in wav format.

Couldn't you use one of those editors like Slade to manually extract the wavs you need?

All you have to do is download the psx doom tc, extract the PSXDOOM.PK3 from the zip file, open the pk3 file and extract the sounds folder.

Brewtal_Legend said:

does anyone know if psx doom or doom 64 has more sounds than the other? I would assume the psx would, but does d64 have any that psx doesn't?

Well, the Motherdemon sounds aren't in the PSX version, the monster spawn sound isn't, the Unmaker firing sound, and the earthquake sound. I believe thats all.

jdagenet said:

Well, the Motherdemon sounds aren't in the PSX version, the monster spawn sound isn't, the Unmaker firing sound, and the earthquake sound. I believe thats all.

Dont forget thunder.

Chex Warrior said:

Your going to add them to DoomRL? That sounds awesome, you should get the music in there too.

I did already get the music in there.

I use the psx intro for the intro, the main ambient music tracks for all the levels, the classic doom 3 mod music tracks for the special levels, and Motorhead's Hellraiser as the victory music.

Thanks guys. I used pakscape to extract the sounds from the psxsounds.pk3.

Works great. I find the ambient music from psx doom works better for Doomrl instead of the original tracks since they get much less Representative.

so, other than the mother demon and unmaker, there are no other monster/weapon sounds that d64 has that psx doom doesn't? Aside from the environment sounds that is.

The PSX has the revenant sound, which I don't recall is used in Doom 64 (for something other than the revenant, of course, which is absent).

For doom 64, get Doom64EX. After you run the magical conversion, the WAD file created will have all the sound effects in it, you can extract them from there into anything you need.

For PSX doom, I believe I have the sound effects hanging around somewhere. If you can't get them elsewhere, just say so and I'll find mine and upload them.

buttspit said:

The PSX has the revenant sound, which I don't recall is used in Doom 64 (for something other than the revenant, of course, which is absent).

I think the Revenant sound and the Spidermastermind sound is in DooM 64 also even though they're not used but I could be wrong.

anyone know if an archvile sound was ever made despite the archvile not actually making it into the psx version?

I noticed the cacodemon sounds quite different.

Did lost souls have their own hit sound? It seems like they share the same sound as demons.

Brewtal_Legend said:

anyone know if an archvile sound was ever made despite the archvile not actually making it into the psx version?

I don't think so. I've used the PSX sound WAD in the past and don't recall the Archvile having different sounds for the PSX version.

Brewtal_Legend said:

Nope no Archvile sounds. I wonder what he would have sounded like and looked like in DooM 64.

Just to add my preferred method of sound file extraction:

Doom 64:
The DOOMSND.SF2 file from Kaiser's Doom 64 EX (requires the doom64 rom) contains the entire library of sounds & music notes you'll ever hear in the game. You can open this file using a wave editor (I prefer Goldwave). The raw sound format is PCM, signed, 16-bit, little endian, mono. Sample rate is 11025 for the music notes at the beginning, then 22050 for the theme music in the middle, then back to 11025 for the sound effects at the end of the wav.

PSX Doom/Final Doom:

You can pull the MUSIC folder directly from the game discs onto your hard drive. From there, use a program call psound ( http://snailrush.online.fr/ ) to scan the MUSIC directory. It will bring up the entire library of sound effects and music notes. You can then convert to wav format from there.

The methods above give bit-for-bit extractions of everything you will ever hear in the PSX & N64 Doom games.

I think the ps1 revenant sound was created just for the ps1 port. havent heard it anywhere else

FirebrandX said:

Doom 64:
The DOOMSND.SF2 file from Kaiser's Doom 64 EX (requires the doom64 rom) contains the entire library of sounds & music notes you'll ever hear in the game. You can open this file using a wave editor (I prefer Goldwave).

Alternatively, you can play and record the MIDI files contained in the IWAD with a SF2-compatible synthesizer, such as FluidSynth.

Gez said:

Alternatively, you can play and record the MIDI files contained in the IWAD with a SF2-compatible synthesizer, such as FluidSynth.

Except that the midi files are not accurate to the console playback. The attack, decay, etc. commands are interpreted by the console differently than fluidsynth does. Kaiser an I have been going over this issue for a few days now, and it's a hard nut to crack.

Also, the output of the fluidsynth playback is unfiltered compared to the 22047 Hz output of the console. Attempts to resample the fluidsynth output does not work to match the sort of gaussian effect of the console output.

As such, if you want console-faithful versions of the music tracks, you MUST choose between the following:

A. Recording the tracks from the console directly.

or

B. Download the USF package I made here: http://www.firebrandx.com/downloads/Doom64usf.zip

The zip package includes the plugin for playing the tracks in Foobar2000. Place the dll file in the components directory of Foobar2000. I've edited the lengths to be accurate within a tenth of a second, and the meta data has been properly filled in as well.