Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Snakes

Michael Bay's Latest Mission: Ruin the Ninja Turtles

I'm really into Norse Mythology and saw this as an attempt to change shit. I mean why? He wasn't depicted as black in the archaeological records so why make him a black dude in the movie? Surely they should've followed character depictions accurately? As a huge follower of Norse mythology I can see why this aggravated a few people other than retarded neo-nazis.

Darkman 4 said:

one black dude among white dudes isn't going to "ruin the immersion"

So nigga vikings? With ponytails? Srsly?

Violator said:

I'm really into Norse Mythology and saw this as an attempt to change shit. I mean why? He wasn't depicted as black in the archaeological records so why make him a black dude in the movie? Surely they should've followed character depictions accurately? As a huge follower of Norse mythology I can see why this aggravated a few people other than retarded neo-nazis.

Oh no! Someone deviated from the ~*historical records*~! Who cares? Movies are all about giving an interesting story; ~*historical accuracy*~ be damned. I mean, is it really much of a sin to have a black dude as a Norse god, even if it isn't in a movie? Is there some fundamental rule that says "NO BLACKS AS WHITE GODS EVER :(". No, there isn't.

Thing is I couldn't see a white dude playing an African god in a movie, it wouldn't make any sense nor would I want one to. As an Odinist, I found this historically un-accurate, personally I didn't think much of the movie in general but it left me asking my self if there was some sort of agenda behind this that they deliberately went out of their way to get a black cast member for this role.

Violator said:

Thing is I couldn't see a white dude playing an African god in a movie, it wouldn't make any sense nor would I want one to. As an Odinist, I found this historically un-accurate, personally I didn't think much of the movie in general but it left me asking my self if there was some sort of agenda behind this that they deliberately went out of their way to get a black cast member for this role.

So you think Thor the movie is a personal attack on you and your religion and that they used a black person to undermine who the Norse gods are? Really? Do you think they conspired to demean a tiny religion that some racists and metalheads care about? Come on man.

Also, I find it interesting that you seem to think that whiteness is a fundamental aspect of the Norse gods. Gives me a rather bad impression regarding your views on race.

Violator said:

complaining about the accuracy of people's skin colour in a dipiction of a myth

facepalm.jpg

Well as I said, it's historically in-accurate and unrealistic, I wouldn't expect a white guy to play an African God in a movie because that would be retarded and unrealistic and wouldn't make any sense.

You're questioning my views regarding race because I find it a bit odd that they replaced a white God with a black God? "Whiteness is a fundamental aspect of the Norse gods" well they were white weren't they?

Violator said:

Well as I said, it's historically in-accurate and unrealistic, I wouldn't expect a white guy to play an African God in a movie because that would be retarded and unrealistic and wouldn't make any sense.

You're questioning my views regarding race because I find it a bit odd that they replaced a white God with a black God? "Whiteness is a fundamental aspect of the Norse gods" well they were white weren't they?

Where does it say "they were all white (as in the skin color, not a term for describing a god's goodness for whatever) dudes"? Seems to me that you're projecting the fact that Nordic people are white to their gods, when the actual texts could be ambiguous.

Didn't Morgan Freeman play the Christian god in Bruce Almighty? Don't remember many people complaining about that just because previous artistic interpretations depicted it as an old white guy.

DoomUK said:

Didn't Morgan Freeman play the Christian god in Bruce Almighty? Don't remember many people complaining about that just because previous artistic interpretations depicted it as an old white guy.

Uhh but this is different! The Nordic gods are gods that only white people worshiped, so only whites should be able to play them because I don't want to see a subhuman black man play a noble white man who's skin color and looks that I imagine in my head it would be historically inaccurate because the Nordic people didn't know about black people at the time!

I really doubt there were even black people in Nordic countries in those times, let alone black Gods, as I said I couldn't give a fuck about race but really found this retarded.

If I made a movie depicting a white man as an African God I bet Africans would be pretty upset about that too, because it wouldn't make any sense coinciding with their beliefs and cultures.

Violator said:

I really doubt there were even black people in Nordic countries in those times, let alone black Gods, as I said I couldn't give a fuck about race but really found this retarded.

Just because the Nordic peoples didn't know about black people at the time the old pagan religion was active doesn't mean that it's impossible for one of their gods to be black in a TV show or movie. As long as the myths doesn't specifically state their skin color, they can be whatever skin color you want them to be and it won't deviate from the "canon" myths. Shit, they can even be old Indian/Pakistani uncles because the myths never said they couldn't.

I really wish they would release a movie where a white dude played an African God so we can see African peoples reception of their culture getting 'changed' and 'twisted'. It's not African peoples fault that the director of this movie is insensitive to Nordic culture but would still be interested to see how they react when their culture gets invaded by other cultures.

Violator said:

I really wish they would release a movie where a white dude played an African God so we can see African peoples reception of their culture getting 'changed' and 'twisted'. It's not African peoples fault that the director of this movie is insensitive to Nordic culture but would still be interested to see how they react when their culture gets invaded by other cultures.

It totally depends on how it's handled. If it's a benevolent god played by a white person, then yeah they're going to be pretty pissed because of the "White Man's Burden" undertones. if the white person is just a minor god then I don't think they're going to give a shit. Hell, if they make an evil god be played by a white person, the African audience may even approve more of it because of how much whites assreamed and still assream Africa. It'd give the asshole whites that tore them up spiritually evil undertones, which would help explain the white-caused shit they're going through.

Darkman 4 said:

Where does it say "they were all white (as in the skin color, not a term for describing a god's goodness for whatever) dudes"?

Actually, there are lots of sources that do just that.

I am Icelandic so the vikings and their culture is our culture as well. We learn a lot about the vikings and the Norse gods in school.

One thing that a lot of people don't seem to get is that the Pagan goods are not like the gods from other religions like Christianity, the Pagan goods are not some mysterious forces of nature who's appearances are poorly explained. Their looks are described in detail, and yes, it is outright stated that they are white.

Paganism/Odinism/whatever you want to call it outright says that all of the gods were white. You can call it racist if you want, but that's the way it is. The Norse gods were not black anymore then Buddha was.

Violator said:

I really wish they would release a movie where a white dude played an African God so we can see African peoples reception of their culture getting 'changed' and 'twisted'.

It would be just as "well" received as a whigger movie, I'm telling ya, and with the usual double standard that it's OK for a "nigga" to call another nigga a "nigger", but not for a "honky".

FUN FACT: I wonder if it would be possible for a black person to take another black to court for being called a "nigger", not accepting this double standard, and stating that he finds the term offensive regardless of the speaker's origins or skin colour. Would the court accept this as reasonable, or uphold the double standard ("it's ok for a nigga to call another nigga a nigga, nigga")? Because then the court itself would be partial and discriminating ;-)

Maes said:

FUN FACT: I wonder if it would be possible for a black person to take another black to court for being called a "nigger", not accepting this double standard, and stating that he finds the term offensive regardless of the speaker's origins or skin colour. Would the court accept this as reasonable, or uphold the double standard ("it's ok for a nigga to call another nigga a nigga, nigga")? Because then the court itself would be partial and discriminating ;-)

HAHAHAHAHA thought about this often, yeah I'd be a millionaire if I was black, I'd take my brothas to court for calling me the 'n' word then move out to another gangsta neighbourhood then repeat the process until I'll have shit loads of money, damn wish I was black :(

Wow, guys. You somehow managed to shit up a thread that wasn't that great to begin. That's mightily impressive.

This racial shit has nothing to do with TMNT to begin with and never should have even been brought up to being with (Maes). Being un-PC for the sake of being un-PC is moronic, and this is coming from a guy who can't stand most politically correct terms. Maybe next time you could bring it up in a thread that, I don't know, actually has something to do with political correctness to begin with.

Or am I asking too much?

I liked the first TMNT movie. As a matter of fact, I watched it rather recently with my wife and I still like it. The first movie is rather dark (at least, for a kid's movie). I also liked the early cartoons and first few NES games but ever since, everything has been rather poor.

This Michael Bay version sounds like it has potential to be the worst of all.

The cartoons were fucking awesome and NES games were great, I see the Bay movie being generic action film #9000

Violator said:

The cartoons were fucking awesome and NES games were great, I see the Bay movie being generic action film #9000

I think I have PTSD from the first NES game.

Um guys, we're not talking the actual Norse gods here. We're talking a fictionalized version of Norse mythology created in the Marvel universe in which Asgard is actually an alien planet and the gods aren't really gods at all, they're just technologically advanced aliens who were mistaken for gods. If they flub a few details, so be it. There's no rule that a comic book alien civilization has to follow the mythology word for word. In actual Norse mythology, given the location constraints and everything, and given the limits of cultural knowledge, yeah, it makes sense for all the gods to be white, because they were created by a white culture in an area where only white people lived. In the fictional Marvel universe, no such constraints exist. They're aliens. There's no reason their existence should be defined by the region where their mythology originated in this universe.

Besides, if anyone actually saw the movie, Heimdall was such a total badass that frankly, I didn't care what skin color he was - and if anything, his appearance (not just skin color, but his overall appearance) really helped set him apart and made it clear that was a badass on a level beyond even the other gods.

Michael Bay's going to make the TMNT aliens, and not mutant turtles?! No, just no. This can't be happening, how could he think of such an bad way to have the turtles be born?! I think I'm going to be sick. -_-

Snakes said:

NOTE:: Just know that I hate Michael Bay more than any other director that comes to mind at the moment.

Uwe Boll?

NiGHTMARE said:

Uwe Boll?

More than Uwe Boll. Not because Boll makes better films or anything, but because Michael Bay's films get touted by douchebags as "badass" and consistently gross nine figures at the box office.

A close second in this sense would go to Zack Snyder. Fuck that guy, too.

Uwe Boll actually has a few cool movies or at least entertaining to watch like 'Rampage', Michael Bay has never created a single decent film in his entire career yet.

serious deja vu during the black heimdall conversation. i can't find the last thread, but it went kinda like this. didn't porsche monty flip out in it with an insane white power tirade?

Violator said:

Michael Bay has never created a single decent film in his entire career yet.

i didn't care about your thinly veiled racism and i was able to tolerate your lack of knowledge about the issue at hand (marvel publishing universe, NOT nordic mythology). but you are dead to me now.

Darkman 4 said:

So what that he's black? Does that mean that black people can only play roles associated with "their" gods (as if there's some set of gods that only black people can share with each other) and that they shouldn't be able to act as a god white people worshipped at one point?

Well, it is increasingly unacceptable for white people to play roles that are viewed as black so, yeah, either say fukkit and allow anyone to play anything or apply prejudice equally.

Darkman 4 said:

The whole thing is fiction and never aimed to be factual

Actually, the whole thing isn't fiction. I accept, however, that it is probably about 99% fiction. ;)

Fun Fact: The original Eastman and Laird's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles were printed in black.

EDIT: link removed