Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Waffenak

Doom Chess

I wonder if anyone has ever designed chess board with Doom monsters. I got project I'm planning to fulfill when I got enough resources and time to start working, a Doom chessboard with pewter miniatures from reaper miniatures company. What roles diffrent enemies would have in the game, how the monsters would be identifiable on the board(diffrent colored bases?). What kind of desing would be suitable for the board(original or custom?) I'm eager to hear all your opinions and everything else concerning this matter.

Waffenak said:

I got project I'm planning to fulfill when I got enough resources and time to start working, a Doom chessboard with pewter miniatures from reaper miniatures company.

Sounds rather expensive. They aren't easy to get hold of.

fraggle said:

Sounds rather expensive. They aren't easy to get hold of.

I have managed to get old of +50 of them but first I got another proejct of collectiing every single miniatures as, blister packed,opened and painted, after that I should be set for collecting another set for chess game

Never heard of such a game although there should have been at least an unofficial somewhere.

Here are my thoughts for enemies:

Rook: Baron
Knight: Demon
Bishop: Revenant or Arch Vile
Pawns: Zombies or Imps

K!r4 said:

Here are my thoughts for enemies:

Rook: Baron
Knight: Demon
Bishop: Revenant or Arch Vile
Pawns: Zombies or Imps

And I suppose the Queen and King are (obviously) the Spider Mastermind and Cyberdemon, respectively?

HavoX said:

And I suppose the Queen and King are (obviously) the Spider Mastermind and Cyberdemon, respectively?

That's what I thought at first, but since the cyber appears before the mastermind I think it should be cyber=queen and mastermind=king (also since the queen is much more dangerous than the king).

TimeOfDeath said:

That's what I thought at first, but since the cyber appears before the mastermind I think it should be cyber=queen and mastermind=king (also since the queen is much more dangerous than the king).

I thought the same thing too, but the Mastermind is said to be a female, as hinted in the Doom II manual.

Hence the "obviously." ;)

the board could be hellish( lava cracks between squares,burnt trees and screaming souls on sides of the board), or something futuristic(computer textures from original doom and metal plating), or maybe both with some weird twisted hybrid :)

HavoX said:

How the fuck would you fit a Spider Mastermind onto a single chess square?

It's a real chess board, right? So you could scale it. But it wouldn't look right.

Bear in mind that, by convention, the king is always the tallest piece. It's also normal (though not quite so universal) for the queen to be the second tallest piece, and the pawn to be the shortest.

I recall Entryway (I think) once made a wad that included a chessboard and a chess clock.

I just don't see the Spider Mastermind working in any case - it's too wide and the scaling would ruin it, one way or another. So my personal Doom chessboard would be:

Pawn - Imp
Rook - Bulldemon (or Mancubus)
Knight - Cacodemon (or Revenant)
Bishop - Baron
Queen - Arch-Vile
King - Cyberdemon

Or, if you wanted the whole shebang to be Doom I compatible:

Pawn - Lost Soul
Rook - Bulldemon
Knight - Imp
Bishop - Cacodemon
Queen - Baron
King - Cyberdemon

How about tons of acs scripts and custom textures, creating a real chessboard? Yay another project who's up for it? Just kidding ;)

I'd love to see an ACS scripted map in vanilla Hexen that plays computer chess. The pieces already fit nicely:

Pawn: Ettin
Knight: Centaur
Bishop: self explanatory
Rook: Chaos serpent
Queen: Heresiarch (as minister)
King: Korax

There's one WAD I did demos for that has a chess board in Map 30. It's called Pedroom32, or Pedroom's The Door of Hell.

Here's what it looked like from the starting point:

Pawns: Demons on the left side, Imps on the right side
Knights: Barons of Hell
Bishops: Arch-Viles
Rooks: Mancubi
Queens: Spider Masterminds
Kings: Cyberdemons

I think cyberdemon should be king and archvile bishop because well he's bishop like appearance or atleast in my mind. Painting or leaving figures bare is another thing to think about. Should the monsters be black and white or follow coloring from the game or just be left without any paint. In case I paint them I should use strong lacquer to protect the paintjob from detrition.

Archy said:

This is so perfect for Grazza :P

Two Chess/Doom ideas I've had over the years:

1) A boardgame chess variant based on Doom, with the powers of the pieces based on their behaviour in Doom. For instance, distance they can move in proportion to their speed in-game; method of attack either shooting or moving followed by melee attack; AVs can resurrect corpses of destroyed pieces (would need markers for corpses for this purpose); game could have a Nightmare mode, where players can drop pieces back onto their original squares.

2) A Doom pwad where to make progress you need to solve a variety of chess puzzle positions (most simply shown as a graphic, though more elaborate methods are possible). Answering could be done as multi-choice (e.g. graphics of the answers on doors - open the wrong one and bad stuff happens) or by dials that you need to operate. Of course, you'd need puzzles with clear-cut one-move answers to avoid it being overly elaborate. Skill levels could be implemented by altering the graphics displayed (one way or another), lessening the "punishment" for a wrong answer, or by displaying hints.

Grazza said:

2)...

Have you played Continuous Wave? :) It is a morse code tutor based on a similar idea: you see a letter and you have to choose a door with the correct code.