Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hellbent

Weather causes confusion...

...in my brain.

Okay, so we haven't even had Easter yet! Most Easters are cold, sometimes we get a nice day and it will be in the like 50s. But many Easters there has been snow on the ground, still. For the last week it has been summertime, high in the 80s. Really confusing when Easter hasn't even happened. It's like I've entered a time warp. We've had literally feet of snow on the ground at this time of year. In 1993 one of our biggest snowstorms happened like a little over a week before this hot spell hit, dumping more than 2 feet of snow. Early summer is so bizarre. How has it messed with your head? How does it compare to other Marches?

I lived through my first winter in southern California... which is winter only because of the length of the day. Having lived through the worst Missouri winter I could remember the year before that, my entire perception of what day it is has been thrown for a bit of a loop.

I'm in New Jersey, and we didn't even have a proper winter. It snowed 2 or 3 times. Each time, the snow melted by morning. We only had a handful of days with below-freezing temperatures. It's going to be in the 70s today.

Hellbent said:

How does it compare to other Marches?

It doesn't. It's been 25-30 degrees above average here for weeks, which is beyond jarring. Basically, we're 6-8 weeks ahead of normal schedule.

After the last few winters we've had on the east coast, I think we earned this one

I've already got giant spiders runnin' around. Bugs and spiders are gonna be terrible this summer.

Need one more good freeze but I think that would destroy alot of apples and oranges. Everything has budded too quick.

Well, the weather here is Western Washington has been rather Bipolar. :|
Rain, snow, sun, cloudy, snow, rain- repeat for next 20 minutes to an hour.. Yay for occasional sun then rain.
I'm pretty sure Danarchy has been getting hit with that too?

we just had:
- the driest november
- the warmest december
- the coldest february

a warm, pleasant march has no chance to surprise me anymore.

It's been in the high 70s up to 80 the past few days here, and it's hit at least 60 for well over a week. In fact, the lows here aren't even getting down to 60 any more. It's been around 65.

Much of Minnesota has been seeing new record highs every single day for much of March. On some days, the new record has been more than 10F higher than the previous one. Overnight lows have been close to previous record daytime highs. I was abroad for the last couple of weeks (and only seeing the weather stats online), but it was still a shock to experience 84F when I landed at Chicago at 8pm - still technically in winter!

Meanwhile Greenland (example) and other parts of the arctic (another example) had a very cold (well below average) March, with sea-ice extent growing significantly (getting slightly closer to normal ranges, in terms of overall area, if not volume). This is what tends to happen when the North Atlantic Oscillation is in a negative phase, though this year is clearly an extreme case.

And let's throw this link in too.

Bucket said:

I'm in New Jersey, and we didn't even have a proper winter. It snowed 2 or 3 times. Each time, the snow melted by morning. We only had a handful of days with below-freezing temperatures. It's going to be in the 70s today.

80's here, and yeah, winter sucked this year. Actually have my air conditioner on right now to make sure the thing hasn't keeled over yet; can already tell this is gonna be a horrible summer.

Yeah, as a Michigander I feel cheated out of this year's winter. Hardly any snow, just frozen lakes, slush, and brown plants with gray skies.
How is it in Europe, Europeans?

Krispy said:

How is it in Europe, Europeans?

The end of the winter is pretty normal in southern Finland, but the beginning was lulzy. We usually get snow in November, but this time around we had a black Christmas.

As for weather confusion...meh. Don't care about it, it's not like you can help it anyway, so there's no point in worrying too much about weather.

Here in the part of Virginia where I live, I would say about 4 or 5 weeks ago I still had the heater running and the general temperature was hovering around the 60s/70s (~ish?). For the past 5 days though, I've had to open up all of the windows and keep the desk fan running 24/7. It's like there's no such thing as "inbetween" temperatures anymore. It goes from freezing cold to hot and muggy in the span of half a month.

It's been warmer than usual here in Colorado with hardly any snow. The highs have been bouncing between the high 50s and low 80s, while the lows are still down in the 40s. Usually we get wet snow storms this time of year too, yet it's been dry and occasionally windy.

Normally I dislike the coming of spring and summer since that means heat is on the way. But I'm looking forward to being outside and swimming this year, so I'm actually fairly pleased.

Mithral_Demon said:

Well, the weather here is Western Washington has been rather Bipolar. :|
Rain, snow, sun, cloudy, snow, rain- repeat for next 20 minutes to an hour.. Yay for occasional sun then rain.
I'm pretty sure Danarchy has been getting hit with that too?

It's actually really nice out today. Went for a walk and the sun felt sooo goood

Seeker_of_Truth said:

It's been in the high 70s up to 80 the past few days here, and it's hit at least 60 for well over a week. In fact, the lows here aren't even getting down to 60 any more. It's been around 65.

It's almost like we live in the same city...

Last winter we had more snow than I can ever remember. But this year I didn't see a single snowflake. Go figure.

We're into the fourth week of Autumn here with minimum temperatures that have broken 50 year records. I've already dug out my winter-weight pyjamas.

Over here in Virginia spring started in January, I could probably count the days with a temp below 40 on two hands. I am personally loving this weather though I suspect summer will be particularly muggy and hellish.

Americans and their nonsensical temperature scales! Everyone knows 40 is as hot as a bath. At least we all agree that -40 is bone-chilling cold, the likes of which we've only seen once or twice even in the Great White North this winter. :p

We just got a huge dump of snow (by Alberta standards) in Edmonton. It's supposed to return to being warm over the next couple days. Weather is a silly thing.

GreyGhost said:

We're into the fourth week of Autumn here

So you must live upside down in Australia or South America. But the way you spell stuff leads me to believe Australia?

I don't know what the hell's going on. We're well into Spring here, and it's only March. I don't think I've ever seen things get green this early around here (Minnesota). It's nice, but I'm afraid this all comes at a price.

Well, for me for a beginning of the year, sucked major balls. :/
I love the snow, don't get me wrong, but if the biggest snow/ice storm happens on 2nd week and leaves thousands out of power? Yeah..

For much of west washington, we got hit by one of the biggest storms and we haven't seen one like it since '85-'93. 1' 6" of snow first, then it froze further and crashed trees and cause a nearly week long power outage.

geekmarine said:

I don't know what the hell's going on. We're well into Spring here, and it's only March. I don't think I've ever seen things get green this early around here (Minnesota). It's nice, but I'm afraid this all comes at a price.

Did you read this page of the article I linked? http://www.weather.com/outlook/weather-news/news/articles/march-weird-weather-2012_2012-03-23?page=10

Talks about crazy record warmth in Minnesota (which Grazza already touched on).