Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Clonehunter

MAP02 Multiple Versions

How many versions per say of this map exists? In the room with the three or so zombie men and the two shotgunners in the cages, I've noticed some discrepancies between the two areas between two different IWADS. For the guy guarding the left switch in the first room, in one IWAD I (admittedly) downloaded off of the internet, there are three bars in front of him acting as a gate, just like the switch off to the left. Now for the IWAD in the Collector's Doom Cd, the left switch does not have a gate in front of it.

Now maybe, I was thinking, maybe this IWAD was hacked in some manner and modified, but between the two wads nothing else seemed different as far as I could tell.

Now, I guess I just don't know if different versions of Doom 2's wad was released. How many different versions are there, or did I stumble on a hacked copy? Or is the Collector's wad an older version of some sort?

I remember reading that the bars were removed because people were getting stuck and didn't know that they were activatable. So I think that was a legit version.

1.666 (the original commercial release of Doom2) had the bars. They were removed in 1.9 (via patches or later commercial releases).

Incidentally, the bars pretty much guaranteed a spechits overflow (scroll down to the entry for "doom2 v1.666" in the first table). But I doubt that was why they were taken out. AFAIK, this was the first id map where this type of overflow could occur (since e4m1 was released later).

Quite a number of the Doom2 iwad maps were altered to some degree for version 1.9 (this post by Donce suggests about half of them, though some of these could have been simply node rebuilds, or very minor things that are nevertheless enough to make demos desync). Some of the changes were, multiplayer-only (such as on map01). I think.

Yet it seemed none of the versions fixed the texture error in the actual under-hall, unless that HOM I think it is was intentional.

I doubt it was intentional, but I had no idea what you were talking about until I opened the map in Doom Builder and analyzed it. (Sector 39 isn't closed, either.) From where you drop down I don't think you can even see those lines in vanilla.

Edit: Yeah, the only way you'd ever notice those is if you were looking for them, especially since it's just bleeding flats and not actual HOMs.

Dragonsbrethren said:

Sector 39 isn't closed, either.

Most of the IWAD maps contain some sort of bugs. Not surprising considering the way id's editor worked (all sector properties had to be set on the linedefs.) Without strict sanity checks such an approach will inevitably hide mapping errors quite well.

How did 1.8 and 1.9 "shifted the map around?" I have played 1.666 and 1.9 many times and noticed no differences extcept of the bars removal.

The coordinates are not the same. It's like they selected all vertices and shifted them a bit; then selected all things and shifted them a bit as well -- but not by the same amount as the vertices, by the way, so some things ended up embedded in the walls.

The GBA version of Doom 2 has the bars in front of the left alcove in map02. I had never seen them before as I only played the v1.9 IWAD before then.