Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TimeOfDeath

Doomworld Mega Project - /idgames link is up

ggg - FDA for mountaindew (I iddt'd x2 for the last key). lols, classic gggart. :)

BloodyAcid - were you going to edit your map to make it boom compatible or leave it as it is (zdoom compatible)?

BTW TimeofDeath, when are we gonna see your map?

Actually, I don't know what I'm going to make for this project yet, lols. I started this thread on a spur-of-the-moment idea without any maps or screenshots. I'm surprised nobody posted the "new project" line.

mappingwhilehighonmountaindew- slows down initially after I hit the switch..... which is a pain because you have to be quick after you do that! Finished it eventually and didn't experience any other slowdown issues. Using the latest GZDoom BTW

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that mappingWhileHighOnMountainDew ran perfectly fine on my 10+ years old windows XP computer with prboom-plus. It seems the lag appears on zdoom-compatible ports?

Here's a demo of ed's map (died due to dumb mistake but shows exploit at beginning in case it wasn't intentional, but its fun like that anyway (didn't try non-exploit route much so can't compare)):
http://speedy.sh/cauX2/ed-01-uvmax-cl9-ggg.lmp
I like that eye-candy-everywhere lots of colors texturing style, like the flashing hexagons etc.

In my map, the switch raised 2 doors in scrolling player 1 dummy sectors. They constantly loop over 'floor lower to nearest floor' (and the other dummy player1 does nearest ceilings (crushing) in a longer duration loop), with 'and change texture and effect' for floor so it all eventually turns into the damaging lava of the lowest adjacent sector. You're right, I should make a bunch more radsuits and only -2 lava damage or something.
To do the architecture I just made a single complex stair-ish piece, then rotated it 45 degrees and cut out random pieces of squares out of it, then 4 way mirror pasted those squares. Then use all that as a bunch of random complexity to choose pieces from, and sort of glue pieces together mostly so they step down gradually.

And I really recommend only working with 2 sided linedefs (ie. have a big bounding square around everything then only work with lines inside that square, set that outer sector floor=ceiling really high like 2048 or whatever so it functions as a wall around everything). Its a lot easier for me to make a piece of architecture, texture it then cut it up, paste it around/connect it to stuff etc when its all 2 sided.

TimeOfDeath said:

It seems the lag appears on zdoom-compatible ports?

Yeah. Take it out to the port authors, not gggmork. :)

lol, I've been testing with GZdoom, didn't even notice the leaked sector. I have to compose a .mid for that map anyway. I think 8 months should be plenty of time.

Jodwin said:

Yeah. Take it out to the port authors, not gggmork. :)

Yeah, having 2717 sector floors + their ceilings all moving at the same time is normal!

Cool that you stuck with it, DRM. The map number doesn't matter, but if you want a specific sky then you should use the boom sky transfer.

Hmmm, funny, I've just started working on a Boom map and wanted to test my skills.

I may just join this if I get the map done, which I probably will. Sign me up!

Create a room outside the map. Give the UPPER (keyword) texture on the walls the sky texture you're going to use. Next, look under actions, "Transfer", and choose "Transfer Sky Texture to Tagged Sectors". Tag the line with the same tag you gave the outdoor sectors. Ta da! Custom sky texture in Doom 2 without going all ZDoom on it.

Note: I don't believe a tag of 0 will work, as Doom usually read things with a tag of 0 as having no tag at all.

Yeah, linedef action 271 + tag of the outdoor sector + make upper texture of the line = the texture you want for the sky (repeat on multiple lines if outdoor areas have more than one sector tag).

gggmork said:

Yeah, having 2717 sector floors + their ceilings all moving at the same time is normal!

Well, whether it's normal or not is irrelevant (IMO) when some ports can handle it just fine and others can't.

http://www.mediafire.com/?v5j5jrb4yeye7a7

I've tested this in PRBoom and it looks pretty water tight. Added some music, turned the action up a notch.

gggmork - That demo was actually really helpful in tweaking out the game play. The fights are a lot more chaotic now.

Neat map ed.

Just a thought - how about adding a mastermind in exit room once you press yellow key switch? I still had plenty of leftover ammo when I exited and it'd fit nicely imho.

Radromity said:

so i went ahead and did a quick map for this (i hope you dont mind) i decided to call it circle of imps for some reason here it is. http://www.mediafire.com/?hfh1thud7i6g96d

Just saying for anybody else who wants to play this, it's MAP27, not MAP01.

Played through Circle of Imps - UV-Max in 1:28

Extremely simple and straight forward, no traps, no difficulty.

Blood Octagon - DuckReconMajor
Doom 2 - Boom Compatible - Solo Play - 29459 bytes -
Reviewed by: DuckReconMajor
Sucks.

One-room gimmicky map. If you're lucky you can get to the exit with no problem but it will take a few tries. UV-Maxers should have fun with this (they probably won't). Difficulty levels supported.

The only Boom feature is the transfer sky, so he could make this vanilla compatible if needed.

Ya kept map 25 in there, bro.

Also, people should learn about the DEHACKED lump and custom music. I really don't want all of these maps to be MAP01: ENTRYWAY with D_RUNNIN in the background.

But that's just me. For some reason, little stuff like that annoys me. Maybe it just feels like the authenticity is taken away a little bit. Ignore my opinion.

On a different note, why no new textures? I kinda need one for my sky, and I don't think it'd be that big of a problem given textures are compressed into the WAD itself, which I thought this project was just going to be a list of individual WADs. Maybe I didn't read the topic well enough.

Doom 2's bright skies do not go well with dark maps.

Well hey, vanilla compatible version built in! Though it's a bit of an earlier version which is a bit easier.

I don't see the point in that dehacked stuff when it's going to be put into a compilation. You could try turning off music like I do.

Also, I tried gggmork's map. Like others I went through and found all the keys and hit the switch in Skulltag and it froze and I had to task manager kill it, so I played it in Piarre Boom+ idkfa'd the keys and it worked fine.

Jodwin said:

Well, whether it's normal or not is irrelevant (IMO) when some ports can handle it just fine and others can't.

PrBoom-plus is a performance port. I wouldn't find it odd if it was the only port capable of running it.

Nearly finished, about 90%. Turned out a little more elaborate than I'd originally planned.

LightningBolt101 said:

On a different note, why no new textures?

Wad compilation problems are bound to multiply if mappers are allowed to add new textures, so if only for the sake of the compiler's sanity it's best to stick to an agreed set of resources.

1)use only one-patch textures
2)use name prefixes to avoid naming conflicts (TODtx###, GGGtx###, etc...)
3)profit? compilation will be pretty easy I think

Speaking as someone who has inherited responsibility for a project with a fuckton of custom resources, even when named appropriately, I can vouch for the fact that it's still a pain in the arse to maintain. Best to keep it simple, or risk having the project take forever and end up full of bugs.

Besides, the standard textures are still surprisingly versatile if used creatively:

(you'd never guess that was RROCK02 for the yellow on the top part)