Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Snakes

/idgame Release: Midnight Tek Frenzy

I originally didn't intend to create a thread for this, but since this was a rather large /idgames update, my wad got pushed off of the front page.

Midnight Tek Frenzy is a stand-alone map intended to be a fast-paced bonanza. Originally, I began constructing it for CC4, but ran itno a few speedbumps near the deadline. Gameplay leans to the harder side of things, there are six keys, and you can grab them practically any order you'd like. The final product was a tad rushed, so the visuals aren't perfect, buuuuuut I'm okay with that in the end.

Here's the /idgames page. Enjoy.

Screenshot:

Thanks! Unfortunately, this appears to be a situation where I uploaded a wad with two fairly obvious errors (a slimetrail and I forgot to add a few textures at a body of water), but so it goes... The important part is still in tact :)

Hm... That's bizarre. Two quick questions:

1) Did you run this WITH the CC4 texture pack? I edited it heavily so the starry sky would be SKY1.

2) What source port are you running there? I've never had a problem getting out of that part of the map... at least not to the point that I had to noclip out of it.

That's a ZDoom screenshot.

And yeah, for some reason, the sector tagged 5 does not rise up as much as the sector tagged 6, so you can't get out unless you jump or noclip.

FDA. Fun hectic start but once you figure out what to do (i.e. where all the goodies are), cleaning the rest of the base becomes a bit boring. Also I hated the way you get SSG: you press some switch and it suddenly appears in your hands. That's so not cool. Still, good work.

Snakes said:

1) Did you run this WITH the CC4 texture pack? I edited it heavily so the starry sky would be SKY1.

The sky texture was my bad. I had assumed that the wad needed to be run alongside the texture pack.

EDIT: Also yes, it is zdoom.

FDA. Great stuff! My only complaint would be the end, it felt anti-climatic to me due to the trap being time-based (as far as I can tell without opening the map in DB2).

Really nice screenshot Snakes! I gotta stop being busy all the time so I can play this (and other maps that have been piling up). Giving it a download for now and I hope to give it a play soon.

Thanks for the positive feedback and FDA's, everyone! I'll probably just post a bugfix in this thread to take care of the aforementioned problems (including the apparent ZDoom error near the red keycard) sometime later this evening :)

Cool map, Snakes! Both the gameplay and visuals were great! Nice midi choice too. The only major thing I didn't like was the ending, which felt a bit too crazy compared to the rest of the map.

As always, I'm the lone voice of dissent with this style of map.

The architecture and lighting are quite nice, but I find the game play silly and mindless. It's not actually a hard map at all. There is so much room to run around that nearly the entire beastiary is totally ineffective. I could fire my weapon, but why? Why spend the ammo when all the monsters are killing each other for me?

So yea, for these huge wide-open maps I just perpetually run, with the sporadic spamming of rockets or shells or plasma, and I'm as good as invincible. There is so much health and ammo around that after I splatter the hit scanners with 20 rockets I can easily max out again and continue on at my leisure. Once I get bored of circling I can let loose with my plasma or SSG or whatever and do the cleanup. The occasional archvile was the only monster who posed even the minutest threat since it is hard to find in large areas, but once I do he was of course easily toasted in a barrage of missiles, if not BFG blasts.

The final battle got me, but that was about it. All in all it was a tension-free experience. I guess people like murdering oceans of baddies, but when I can literally run circles around 'em all day I don't find it particularly satisfying. This sort of layout really diminishes the threat posed by DOOM monsters. I can see people who like speedrunning maps enjoying this style, but that ain't me.

NT

Kudos to everyone who took the time to play this and provide their opinion! Okay, folks, the final .ZIP can be found here for the time being. If you plan on demoing the map, please use this version of the wad!

Changes include:

-Mminor visual fixes (slimetrail gone, the water is actually IN the ground as opposed to floating on it.

-I've moved the SG and SSG to the opening battleground as I wound up agreeing with Memfis in the end.

-The red keycard battle is now compatible with ZDoom, though GZDoom and Skulltag remain untested (shouldn't be any different, though).

NaturalTvventy said:

As always, I'm the lone voice of dissent with this style of map.

(critique)

NT

Understandable. If I expected to the map to be universally praise, I'd be a fool :)

I've learned over time that you and I have different approaches to gameplay, so I'm not all that surprised by your opinion in that regard. I'm glad you found the architecture/lighting up to snuff! I rarely stray from these open-field slugfests, and am a demoholic of sorts. That alone shows our differences. All of your complaints are completely valid, though, and I appreciate the time you took to play the wad.