Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
TimeOfDeath

random textures, flats and sector brightnesses automatically?

1. Similar to gggmork's thread: Is it possible to automatically add random textures on every 2-sided linedef's front/back upper/lower texture, and all 1-sided front middle texture? Could you set a list of specific textures for the randomizer to pick from, and any textures not in the list get ignored?

2. Is it possible to automatically set random flats for every sector's ceiling and floor? Could you make a list of specific flats for this too?

3. Is it possible to set random brightness levels for every sector? Could you set a list of specific brightness levels for the randomizer to choose from? or maybe between a range?

So basically, you draw your sectors and do the floor/ceiling heights, then you set all the textures/flats/sector brightnesses automatically? I know it has the potential to look hella ugly, but I'd love this.

I just tried and was able to do it with the omgifol python package:

import omg, random

w = omg.WAD(from_file='todTest.wad')
e = omg.MapEditor(w.maps['MAP01'])

texturesToRandomize = ['ASHWALL2','BIGBRIK2','BIGDOOR3','BLAKWAL2']
flatsToRandomize = ['CEIL5_2','CEIL3_5','DEM1_3']
brightnessesToRandomize = [192,176,160,144,128,112,96]

for side in e.sidedefs:
	#should probably loop through e.linedefs to find 1 sided vs. 2 sided lines, but couldn't figure out how to get the sidedefs *of* a linedef
	if side.tx_mid != '-':
		side.tx_mid = random.choice(texturesToRandomize)
	else:
		side.tx_up = random.choice(texturesToRandomize)
		side.tx_low = random.choice(texturesToRandomize)
for sector in e.sectors:
	sector.tx_floor = random.choice(flatsToRandomize)
	sector.tx_ceil = random.choice(flatsToRandomize)
	sector.light = random.choice(brightnessesToRandomize)

w.maps["MAP01"] = e.to_lumps()
w.to_file('randomized.wad')
I guess your options are:
1) install python (free, probably want version 2.7) and omgifol
2) just give whatever wad to me and I can do it and give it back to u
3) maybe I could make that code an 'exe' for you to use without needing to install python but I've never done that before, and might not know how to make it work with separate wad files

You the man now, dawg! That's awesome. An exe would be ideal (then anyone could use it), but all of those options sound good, thx.

So I downloaded\installed Python and omgifol package, but what exactly should I do with this code? I tried to put it in omg.py and then run it but I got:

Memfis said:

what exactly should I do with this code?

I think you have to rename the folder 'omg' instead of 'omgifol-2.0'.
I have python 2.5 so my omg folder is in a path like this:

C:\Python25\Lib\site-packages\omg\(all contents of that folder)

You might need python 2.7 or earlier (3.0 has subtle changes, I've never used it). I use 'drpython' (another thing to install) to read and run .py files by the way instead of idle. Let me know if that works.

I'll keep trying to make an exe. I need to figure out folder/path stuff to do that I think.

gggmork said:

I think you have to rename the folder 'omg' instead of 'omgifol-2.0'.

I just did this and also renamed omg.py to omgo.py and it worked. Thanks!

Epicness:

Memfis said:

Epicness

Probably nice stress test for vanilla glboom.exe, because it does not sort flats/walls by texture before drawing. It is interesting to see the FPS difference between normal and 'tweaked' versions of sunder.wad map10 at start and map14 in big room or on map you posted.

Memfis said:

I just did this and also renamed omg.py to omgo.py and it worked. Thanks!

Epicness:

More like utter chaos :) Can Oblige be programmed to make chaotic maps like that in the picture?

Well I intended to make it an exe, and made it so an external txt file could be used to set all the variables: lists of stuff to be randomized, wad name & map number, which worked. But I made the exe with py2exe and double clicking the exe did nothing, maybe I didn't install py2exe right or who knows. Plus microsoft was trolling me not to distribute their precious 'dll' files or some crap. Now my conspiracy radar suspects python is a big walled garden designed by elites to prevent the lower classes from making money selling exe files and to force them to release all programs as open source so they're easier for the elites to steal and then patent.
I guess installing python/omg yourself is the best option.

Ok I'm a mega-newb, I got Python 2.5, and extracted omgifol-2.0 folder (renamed to omg) into Python25\Lib\site-packages. I ran python.exe but it's a command line program?

Probably:
click start/programs/python 2.5/idle

(if its a blank white page, ignore this next part)
if you see this:
>>>
Then you're in the 'shell', so click file/new so you have a new blank page.

Now copy paste the code there and save as doomOmgifolRandomizer.py (or whatever). Change whatever you want in the code (obvious parts like which textures are in the lists, or 'todTest.wad' to whatever wad name etc).
Save after changes. Put the wad in the same folder as doomOmgifolRandomizer.py. Then I think click file/run or whatever in idle. That should make 'randomized.wad' (or whatever you named it in the code) appear in that same folder.
I downloaded drpython instead of idle because idle can have firewall problems.

EDIT:
here's a convenient list of textures/flats (mappingWhileHighOnMountainDew.wad looked crazy and oddly interesting with these whole lists:

texturesToRandomize = ['ASHWALL2', 'ASHWALL3', 'ASHWALL4', 'ASHWALL6', 'ASHWALL7', 'BFALL1', 'BFALL2', 'BFALL3', 'BFALL4', 'BIGBRIK1', 'BIGBRIK2', 'BIGBRIK3', 'BIGDOOR1', 'BIGDOOR2', 'BIGDOOR3', 'BIGDOOR4', 'BIGDOOR5', 'BIGDOOR6', 'BIGDOOR7', 'BLAKWAL1', 'BLAKWAL2', 'BLODRIP1', 'BLODRIP2', 'BLODRIP3', 'BLODRIP4', 'BRICK1', 'BRICK2', 'BRICK3', 'BRICK4', 'BRICK5', 'BRICK6', 'BRICK7', 'BRICK8', 'BRICK9', 'BRICK10', 'BRICK11', 'BRICK12', 'BRICKLIT', 'BRNPOIS', 'BRONZE1', 'BRONZE2', 'BRONZE3', 'BRONZE4', 'BROVINE2', 'BROWN1', 'BROWN144', 'BROWN96', 'BROWNGRN', 'BROWNHUG', 'BROWNPIP', 'BRWINDOW', 'BSTONE1', 'BSTONE2', 'BSTONE3', 'CEMENT1', 'CEMENT2', 'CEMENT3', 'CEMENT4', 'CEMENT5', 'CEMENT6', 'CEMENT7', 'CEMENT8', 'CEMENT9', 'COMPBLUE', 'COMPSPAN', 'COMPSTA1', 'COMPSTA2', 'COMPTALL', 'COMPWERD', 'CRACKLE2', 'CRACKLE4', 'CRATE1', 'CRATE2', 'CRATE3', 'CRATELIT', 'CRATINY', 'CRATWIDE', 'DBRAIN1', 'DBRAIN2', 'DBRAIN3', 'DBRAIN4', 'DOOR1', 'DOOR3', 'DOORBLU', 'DOORBLU2', 'DOORRED', 'DOORRED2', 'DOORSTOP', 'DOORTRAK', 'DOORYEL', 'DOORYEL2', 'EXITDOOR', 'EXITSIGN', 'EXITSTON', 'FIREBLU1', 'FIREBLU2', 'FIRELAV2', 'FIRELAV3', 'FIRELAVA', 'FIREMAG1', 'FIREMAG2', 'FIREMAG3', 'FIREWALA', 'FIREWALB', 'FIREWALL', 'GRAY1', 'GRAY2', 'GRAY4', 'GRAY5', 'GRAY7', 'GRAYBIG', 'GRAYPOIS', 'GRAYTALL', 'GRAYVINE', 'GSTFONT1', 'GSTFONT2', 'GSTFONT3', 'GSTLION', 'GSTGARG', 'GSTONE1', 'GSTONE2', 'GSTSATYR', 'GSTVINE1', 'GSTVINE2', 'ICKWALL1', 'ICKWALL2', 'ICKWALL3', 'ICKWALL4', 'ICKWALL5', 'ICKWALL7', 'LITE3', 'LITE5', 'LITEBLU1', 'LITEBLU4', 'MARBFAC2', 'MARBFAC3', 'MARBFAC4', 'MARBFACE', 'MARBGRAY', 'MARBLE1', 'MARBLE2', 'MARBLE3', 'MARBLOD1', 'METAL', 'METAL1', 'METAL2', 'METAL3', 'METAL4', 'METAL5', 'METAL6', 'METAL7', 'MODWALL1', 'MODWALL2', 'MODWALL3', 'MODWALL4', 'NUKE24', 'NUKEDGE1', 'NUKEPOIS', 'PANBLACK', 'PANBLUE', 'PANBOOK', 'PANBORD1', 'PANBORD2', 'PANCASE1', 'PANCASE2', 'PANEL1', 'PANEL2', 'PANEL3', 'PANEL4', 'PANEL5', 'PANEL6', 'PANEL7', 'PANEL8', 'PANEL9', 'PANRED', 'PIPE1', 'PIPE2', 'PIPE4', 'PIPE6', 'PIPES', 'PIPEWAL1', 'PIPEWAL2', 'PLAT1', 'REDWALL', 'ROCK1', 'ROCK2', 'ROCK3', 'ROCK4', 'ROCK5', 'ROCKRED1', 'ROCKRED2', 'ROCKRED3', 'SFALL1', 'SFALL2', 'SFALL3', 'SFALL4', 'SHAWN1', 'SHAWN2', 'SHAWN3', 'SILVER1', 'SILVER2', 'SILVER3', 'SK_LEFT', 'SK_RIGHT', 'SKIN2', 'SKINCUT', 'SKINEDGE', 'SKINFACE', 'SKINLOW', 'SKINMET1', 'SKINMET2', 'SKINSCAB', 'SKINSYMB', 'SKSNAKE1', 'SKSNAKE2', 'SKSPINE1', 'SKSPINE2', 'SKY1', 'SKY2', 'SKY3', 'SLADPOIS', 'SLADSKUL', 'SLADWALL', 'SLOPPY1', 'SLOPPY2', 'SP_DUDE1', 'SP_DUDE2', 'SP_DUDE4', 'SP_DUDE5', 'SP_DUDE7', 'SP_DUDE8', 'SP_FACE1', 'SP_FACE2', 'SP_HOT1', 'SP_ROCK1', 'SPACEW2', 'SPACEW3', 'SPACEW4', 'SPCDOOR1', 'SPCDOOR2', 'SPCDOOR3', 'SPCDOOR4', 'STARBR2', 'STARG1', 'STARG2', 'STARG3', 'STARGR1', 'STARGR2', 'STARTAN2', 'STARTAN3', 'STEP1', 'STEP2', 'STEP3', 'STEP4', 'STEP5', 'STEP6', 'STEPLAD1', 'STEPTOP', 'STONE', 'STONE2', 'STONE3', 'STONE4', 'STONE5', 'STONE6', 'STONE7', 'STUCCO', 'STUCCO1', 'STUCCO2', 'STUCCO3', 'SUPPORT2', 'SUPPORT3', 'TANROCK2', 'TANROCK3', 'TANROCK4', 'TANROCK5', 'TANROCK7', 'TANROCK8', 'TEKBRON1', 'TEKBRON2', 'TEKGREN1', 'TEKGREN2', 'TEKGREN3', 'TEKGREN4', 'TEKGREN5', 'TEKLITE', 'TEKLITE2', 'TEKWALL1', 'TEKWALL4', 'TEKWALL6', 'WOOD1', 'WOOD3', 'WOOD4', 'WOOD5', 'WOOD6', 'WOOD7', 'WOOD8', 'WOOD9', 'WOOD10', 'WOOD12', 'WOODGARG', 'WOODMET1', 'WOODMET2', 'WOODMET3', 'WOODMET4', 'WOODVERT', 'ZDOORB1', 'ZDOORF1', 'ZELDOOR', 'ZIMMER1', 'ZIMMER2', 'ZIMMER5', 'ZIMMER7', 'ZIMMER8', 'ZZWOLF1', 'ZZWOLF2', 'ZZWOLF3', 'ZZWOLF4', 'ZZWOLF5', 'ZZWOLF6', 'ZZWOLF7', 'ZZWOLF9', 'ZZWOLF10', 'ZZWOLF11', 'ZZWOLF12', 'ZZWOLF13', 'ZZZFACE1', 'ZZZFACE2', 'ZZZFACE3', 'ZZZFACE4', 'ZZZFACE5', 'ZZZFACE6', 'ZZZFACE7', 'ZZZFACE8', 'ZZZFACE9']
flatsToRandomize = ['FLOOR0_1', 'FLOOR0_3', 'FLOOR0_6', 'FLOOR1_1', 'FLOOR1_7', 'FLOOR3_3', 'FLOOR4_1', 'FLOOR4_5', 'FLOOR4_6', 'FLOOR4_8', 'FLOOR5_1', 'FLOOR5_2', 'FLOOR5_3', 'FLOOR5_4', 'STEP1', 'STEP2', 'FLOOR6_1', 'FLOOR6_2', 'TLITE6_1', 'TLITE6_4', 'TLITE6_5', 'TLITE6_6', 'FLOOR7_1', 'FLOOR7_2', 'MFLR8_1', 'DEM1_1', 'DEM1_2', 'DEM1_3', 'DEM1_4', 'CEIL3_1', 'CEIL3_2', 'CEIL3_5', 'CEIL4_2', 'CEIL4_3', 'CEIL5_1', 'CEIL5_2', 'FLAT1', 'FLAT2', 'FLAT5', 'FLAT10', 'FLAT14', 'FLAT18', 'FLAT20', 'FLAT22', 'FLAT23', 'FLAT5_4', 'FLAT5_5', 'CONS1_1', 'CONS1_5', 'CONS1_7', 'NUKAGE1', 'NUKAGE2', 'NUKAGE3', 'F_SKY1', 'SFLR6_1', 'SFLR6_4', 'SFLR7_1', 'SFLR7_4', 'FLOOR0_2', 'FLOOR0_5', 'FLOOR0_7', 'FLOOR1_6', 'GATE1', 'GATE2', 'GATE3', 'GATE4', 'FWATER1', 'FWATER2', 'FWATER3', 'FWATER4', 'LAVA1', 'LAVA2', 'LAVA3', 'LAVA4', 'DEM1_5', 'DEM1_6', 'MFLR8_2', 'MFLR8_3', 'MFLR8_4', 'CEIL1_1', 'CEIL1_2', 'CEIL1_3', 'CEIL3_3', 'CEIL3_4', 'CEIL3_6', 'CEIL4_1', 'BLOOD1', 'BLOOD2', 'BLOOD3', 'FLAT1_1', 'FLAT1_2', 'FLAT1_3', 'FLAT5_1', 'FLAT5_2', 'FLAT5_3', 'FLAT5_6', 'FLAT5_7', 'FLAT5_8', 'CRATOP1', 'CRATOP2', 'FLAT3', 'FLAT4', 'FLAT8', 'FLAT9', 'FLAT17', 'FLAT19', 'COMP01', 'GRASS1', 'GRASS2', 'GRNLITE1', 'GRNROCK', 'RROCK01', 'RROCK02', 'RROCK03', 'RROCK04', 'RROCK05', 'RROCK06', 'RROCK07', 'RROCK08', 'RROCK09', 'RROCK10', 'RROCK11', 'RROCK12', 'RROCK13', 'RROCK14', 'RROCK15', 'RROCK16', 'RROCK17', 'RROCK18', 'RROCK19', 'RROCK20', 'SLIME01', 'SLIME02', 'SLIME03', 'SLIME04', 'SLIME05', 'SLIME06', 'SLIME07', 'SLIME08', 'SLIME09', 'SLIME10', 'SLIME11', 'SLIME12', 'SLIME13', 'SLIME14', 'SLIME15', 'SLIME16']
brightnessesToRandomize = [192,176,160,144,128,112,96]

didn't use these extra switch/transparent grate textures:
['SW1BLUE', 'SW1BRCOM', 'SW1BRIK', 'SW1BRN1', 'SW1BRN2', 'SW1BRNGN', 'SW1BROWN', 'SW1CMT', 'SW1COMM', 'SW1COMP', 'SW1DIRT', 'SW1EXIT', 'SW1GARG', 'SW1GRAY', 'SW1GRAY1', 'SW1GSTON', 'SW1HOT', 'SW1LION', 'SW1MARB', 'SW1MET2', 'SW1METAL', 'SW1MOD1', 'SW1PANEL', 'SW1PIPE', 'SW1ROCK', 'SW1SATYR', 'SW1SKIN', 'SW1SKULL', 'SW1SLAD', 'SW1STARG', 'SW1STON1', 'SW1STON2', 'SW1STON6', 'SW1STONE', 'SW1STRTN', 'SW1TEK', 'SW1VINE', 'SW1WDMET', 'SW1WOOD', 'SW1ZIM', 'SW2BLUE', 'SW2BRCOM', 'SW2BRIK', 'SW2BRN1', 'SW2BRN2', 'SW2BRNGN', 'SW2BROWN', 'SW2CMT', 'SW2COMM', 'SW2COMP', 'SW2DIRT', 'SW2EXIT', 'SW2GARG', 'SW2GRAY', 'SW2GRAY1', 'SW2GSTON', 'SW2HOT', 'SW2LION', 'SW2MARB', 'SW2MET2', 'SW2METAL', 'SW2MOD1', 'SW2PANEL', 'SW2PIPE', 'SW2ROCK', 'SW2SATYR', 'SW2SKIN', 'SW2SKULL', 'SW2SLAD', 'SW2STARG', 'SW2STON1', 'SW2STON2', 'SW2STON6', 'SW2STONE', 'SW2STRTN', 'SW2TEK', 'SW2VINE', 'SW2WDMET', 'SW2WOOD', 'SW2ZIM', 'BRNSMAL1', 'BRNSMAL2', 'BRNSMALC', 'BRNSMALL', 'BRNSMALR', 'MIDBARS1', 'MIDBARS3', 'MIDBRN1', 'MIDBRONZ', 'MIDGRATE', 'MIDSPACE']
I understand how to use the package better now (linedef.right is the index for the sidedefs etc (not a reference to a sidedef)) so let me know if you want some other idea or if you need more help installing python.
Trying something now where flats are randomly pasted, but each flat is set to 'match' only certain textures (wood types together etc), and only those matching ones are randomly chosen and pasted on all that sector's lower/upper outer sides.

I googled for multiple textures in the same search assuming that'd result in a list. I found a list, but I think a troll made it because like the 67th entry or something just said True, which took forever to find and realize that was causing an error because True didn't work in the code. And many entries were doubled. So I used python to loop through that, cut out whitespace, and remove duplicates and capitalize them (so not by hand).