Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
gggmork

doom2 scaled 4x bigger (horizontally & vertically)

All maps but 32 worked I think (omgifol maybe had a problem with commander keens on 32 or something).

http://speedy.sh/BZGBu/doom2-4xbigger.wad

Of course many steps are too big to climb now so I think editing doomguy to jump 96 tall should make it playable again but havn't figured out how to do that yet.

Each map was automated 4x bigger horizontally and vertically, but nodes had to be rebuilt in doombuilder tediously for each map. Each thing (but not warps/player starts) was pasted 3x3 times (so now 9 imps per 1 imp etc which means occasionally stuck enemies cuz it was automated).
This was the omgifol python code to do it:

import omg,random,copy

w = omg.WAD(from_file='doom2.wad')
#this didn't work on map 32 for some reason
mapNames = ['MAP01', 'MAP02', 'MAP03', 'MAP04', 'MAP05', 'MAP06', 'MAP07', 'MAP08', 'MAP09', 'MAP10', 'MAP11', 'MAP12', 'MAP13', 'MAP14', 'MAP15', 'MAP16', 'MAP17', 'MAP18', 'MAP19', 'MAP20', 'MAP21', 'MAP22', 'MAP23', 'MAP24', 'MAP25', 'MAP26', 'MAP27', 'MAP28', 'MAP29', 'MAP30', 'MAP31']#, 'MAP32']
for name in mapNames:
	e = omg.MapEditor(w.maps[name])
	for sector in e.sectors:
		sector.z_ceil *= 4
		sector.z_floor *= 4
	for vertex in e.vertexes:
		vertex.x *= 4
		vertex.y *= 4
	#1x1 thing will duplicate to 3x3, this list represents:
	#topleft,top,topright,left,right,bottomleft,bottom,bottomright (each will be current thing x minus (the number in this list multiplied by thing size) same for y)
	newThingXLoop = [-1,0,1,-1,1,-1,0,1]
	newThingYLoop = [1,1,1,0,0,-1,-1,-1]
	for i in range(len(e.things)):
		e.things[i].x *= 4
		e.things[i].y *= 4
		#if its not a player start or warp spot, prepare to duplicate thing to 3x3
		if e.things[i].type not in [11,1,2,3,4,87,14]:
			#if its an arach,cyber,manc
			if e.things[i].type in [68,16,67]:
				thingSize = 128
			#if its a mastermind
			elif e.things[i].type == 7:
				thingSize = 256
			else:
				thingSize = 64
			for c in range(8):
				newThing = copy.deepcopy(e.things[i])
				newThing.x = e.things[i].x + thingSize*newThingXLoop[c]
				newThing.y = e.things[i].y + thingSize*newThingYLoop[c]
				e.things.append(newThing)

e.nodes.data = ''
	w.maps[name] = e.to_lumps()
	w.to_file('output.wad')
print 'done'

You might want to watch your project here, since your download link is essentially giving away an IWAD, which of course, is illegal.

I don't think it is. For example, say I make a new MAP01 in doombuilder (only edits map01), then share that (this is usually the case). Well I play that map in prboom+ then type idcled02 and can play ANY other map. So anyone can play any original doom2 map in most wads anyway. I think the point is whether its an iwad or a normal wad? The above link isn't an iwad I think so should be 'ok' as far as I know (ie. you still need an iwad to play it).

I've checked it in Slade, and it contains all the files necessary for a port to draw resources from, like all the sprites, music etc. True that you might not be able to play the original levels, but this opens you to virtually every other map.

Also, I've played your wad :P MAP01 was easy enough to finish, though MAP02 immediately was impossible. MAP30 was a rocket jump challenge.

Awesome stuff, surreal and very fun for rocketjumping. I love how all known glides are very easy now. Definitely one of the best wad releases since "30000 Levels". btw I think you messed something up with map31 ( see in your code: 'MAP31']#, )

ha ha, in '30000 levels' you just press a switch 30000 times?

I deleted all the unnecessary files now I think.

The # is a comment commenting out (ignoring) map32 because that map didn't work for some reason. And nodes didn't build on 31 I think.

EDIT:
To play this with a mod that jumps about 96 high (for climbing large stairs) in zdoom 2.5.0 or earlier (and maybe other ports, dunno), make 2 .txt files:

DECORATE.TXT

ACTOR jumper : DoomPlayer replaces DoomPlayer
{
	Player.JumpZ 14
}
KEYCONF.TXT
clearplayerclasses
addplayerclass jumper
Then drag/drop both .txt files and wad into zdoom.exe at the same time.

I don't want to register on a site I probably will never use again just to check this file out :(

Why not mediafire?

brilliant. Love the way that the enemy count increases too. I also increased Player.ForwardMove value 4 to get the platform secret on map01, but that was insanely fast, so reverted back.

EDIT: Posted a video of the carnage on MAP20 with the scoredoom add-on pack.

Mr. Chris said:

I don't want to register on a site I probably will never use again just to check this file out :(

Why not mediafire?

Its all stupid, non-obvious and web 2.0, but I think you can just click the title at top (after 'download') without needing to register.

Made a serious attempt at UV-Maxing MAP01. Took me about 7:30. I used the fly command to return to any tall ledges though :P

Ohh, derp. Got it now! Will check it out later :o

Tweaking manually will definitely be needed in this.

BloodyAcid said:

I've checked it in Slade, and it contains all the files necessary for a port to draw resources from, like all the sprites, music etc.

In the latest versions of SLADE, you can use Archive -> Maintenance -> Remove Entries Duplicated From IWAD and it'll delete all the lumps* that are identical to that of the currently selected Base Resource Archive. Very handy for this kind of cleanup.

(* Excepted maps. The algorithm doesn't compare maps because they're not made of a single lump. Also, it won't delete empty lumps like the namespace markers; even if technically they are identically empty.)

Mr. Chris said:

Why not mediafire?

I want to use this opportunity to say that the CAPTCHA to register here has been fixed.

!!MAP31 contains a null NODES lump!!

It may crash the game!

EDIT: If the monsters weren't multiplied, I would run them through a ZDoom mod that makes them 4 times as tall and 64 times as heavier, harder to kill!

1280 HP Zombiemen!
256000 HP Cyberdemons the size beyond everything in Doom! And who walk faster than you!

printz said:

If the monsters weren't multiplied, I would run them through a ZDoom mod that makes them 4 times as tall and 64 times as heavier, harder to kill!

I would say just shrink the player, but the small player bobs up and down (floatbob and bouncetype don't fix it), so maybe scaling everything else larger is the best way.
Only drop both txts in zdoom 2.5.0 or earlier, don't need any wad (but player bounces up and down):

DECORATE.TXT:

ACTOR smallplayer : DoomPlayer
{
  Radius 4
  Height 14
  Mass 25
  Player.AttackZOffset 2
  Player.JumpZ 7
  Player.ViewHeight 10
  Player.ForwardMove .25,.25
  Player.SideMove .25,.25
  maxstepheight 6
}
KEYCONF.TXT:
clearplayerclasses
addplayerclass smallplayer
Didn't know slade had a remove duplicate iwad entries option. Nuts probably wouldn't be hard to do by hand, just multiply all floors/ceils by 4 and scale 400%, and copy/paste things.

Blockmap cannot be produced with Zennode for MAP31 because the level is too large.

What if you did a x2 version?

This WAD was crazy! It's however too big for some parts because of how I can't get on the steps. I like the concept of the idea though.

x2 would probably make nodes build right for 31. Its not that interesting of a level anyway and this wad is just kind of an experiment without needing to 'perfect' it. Even with the high jump txt files:
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=1064009#post1064009
some stuff is still unreachable, map 30's lift doesn't go up all the way, stairs don't build right, viles are currently too hard, you mostly just jump over everyone's head etc (you can sneak through the window to avoid viles on circle of death though, heh heh).

The main cool thing is being able to vertically scale architecture now since doombuilder didn't have an option for that and I don't 'speak' c# and am probably not a good enough coder to make a plugin for that.

This is so cool. Could you also modify Doom 1, Heretic, Hexen, or Strife in this way?

I really wish Doom Builder had a vertical scaling tool.

I could probably do it to heretic, but I don't have the other iwads. I could also redo doom2 without multiplied monsters, if printz wants to use that zdoom mod he mentioned.
Let me know if you want that and I'll try to make it, but you'd have to rebuild nodes for each map yourself (I rebuilt each in doombuilder 1, maybe there's a faster way but I don't want to learn it now since I'm busy trying to make randomized architecture now).

Yes, I want redone Heretic and redone Doom II without multiplied monsters please.

BrutalDoom on MAP07. MAP08 is playable but once I reached MAP09 I was playing at a slide show which was unacceptable.

Ok, 4xdoom2 single monsters and 4xheretic multimonsters (iwad related files removed):
http://speedy.sh/yxB7x/heretAndDooSing.zip

Only built nodes for map 1 and 20 for doom,
only built nodes for map e1m1 for heretic

(one way is to open in doombuilder 1, file/build nodes, file/save map, which is tedious to do for each so I didn't want to do them all. Probably some other more automated way but I don't feel like figuring it out.)

got through most of it (w/ 9x monsters, 96jump), idclipping where necessary. some parts real tedious, some parts impossible. Overall had a lot of fun playing it, neat idea!