Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TimeOfDeath

Doomworld Mega Project - /idgames link is up

Yeah, I'm sorry guys, but forbidding new textures will make things a lot easier.

Here are FDAs for Circle of imps and Blood Octagon.

PS: I hate you DRM :(

so, i played circle of imps and blood octagon... they're a little gimmick room map, circle of imps is really easy and octagon is insane....

DooMAD said:

Speaking as someone who has inherited responsibility for a project with a fuckton of custom resources, even when named appropriately, I can vouch for the fact that it's still a pain in the arse to maintain. Best to keep it simple, or risk having the project take forever and end up full of bugs.

Besides, the standard textures are still surprisingly versatile if used creatively:

[image]

(you'd never guess that was RROCK02 for the yellow on the top part)

DooMad, what level is that from?

DuckReconMajor said:

Blood Octagon - DuckReconMajor
Doom 2 - Boom Compatible - Solo Play - 29459 bytes -
Reviewed by: DuckReconMajor
Sucks.

One-room gimmicky map. If you're lucky you can get to the exit with no problem but it will take a few tries. UV-Maxers should have fun with this (they probably won't). Difficulty levels supported.

The only Boom feature is the transfer sky, so he could make this vanilla compatible if needed.

2 minutes and 14 deaths later, I made it.

KiiiYiiiKiiiA said:

DooMad, what level is that from?

The one I'll be submitting for this shortly. :)

Is only one texture okay? I was only planning on using a custom sky texture (only one patch) and nothing else. I don't think that'd be much of a problem. I don't wanna go too crazy with that stuff. I know just how difficult compiling a WAD can be. I make maps but I always edit them with XWE/SLADE3 for things like mapinfo, sndinfo, dehacked, textures, music, etc.

If you need some help with compiling, I'd be happy to do it. It's not very difficult for me and I'd be happy to help with things like map names, music, and one or two custom textures that could possibly show up.

I'm sorry, but no new textures please. If a different sky is important to you, maybe you could try to find a texture already in doom2.wad to use with a sky transfer.

FDAs for new abraxas and daemalum (original version, not daemalum2).

Btw DooMAD, you said Exl playtested this? Where is he? :)

EDIT: I iddt'd x2 for the last two secrets in daemalum.

abraxas: nice changes. u can still barely hit start switch from side at the right angle (blocking sector(s) not wide enough) unless intentional. Walk line that triggers soulsphere secret is pretty quiet, can barely hear a lift. Maybe a closer dummy sector joined to the lift would make it louder/more obvious.

daemalum: fun and nice looking. I like how the architecture changes (didn't test if it could result in stuck enemies that you can no longer kill like maybe that first risen stair case could block an imp in the start room, not sure). The enemies work well with the height variation, and low power starting weapons results in nice infighting situations.

gggmork said:

Walk line that triggers soulsphere secret is pretty quiet, can barely hear a lift.

I thought you played with -nomusic? :)

I just played Daemalum, really great map / awesome texture usage. Plays really well too. Great job, man.

Timeofdeath: Thanks for running that demo. After watching it, I think the gameplay is right where I want it to be. There might be a wee bit too much health.

The switch at the start of the map definitely isn't meant to be triggered from the get go, but it's not map breaking. The switch at the top of the squid-staircase looks too enticing not to press :D I'll do some more revisions if anyone finds any critical flaws, but I'm gonna go ahead and call it a wrap. Gotta get back to work on Putrefier :D

TimeOfDeath said:

I thought you played with -nomusic? :)

I did but its still hard to hear the lift sector being triggered to lower unless the volume's really loud (I guess even harder to hear such stuff for people who usually play with music), not a big deal though.

I played Ed's version that said "100% now". I really really liked it! It is one of the few maps that pulls off a combination of over the top texture use while managing to still have great atmosphere and sense of place as well as great gameplay. I have a feeling I'm not gonna like the new "ultra-violence" version as much, but I'll give it a shot. I'll play some of the other maps posted, too! I am looking forward to this project a lot more now that I've played one of the maps and it was really groovy.

EDIT: I played the new version. Admittedly I had only made it to the sfall room when I first played it. I didn't think any of the additions/changes you made to the map improved it. If anything--the changes made it a bit too busy now. Adding the arachnatrons and other details seemed to make it a bit busier and more chaotic in a way that is more off-putting than providing a better experience. It really was really in very good balance before.

The room the demons pour out of--I had not been in there yet. The room is gorgeous to look at--really really cool. I've never liked maps with wolf-textures because I never feel like they are used well or to good effect, but you've really done marvelously. I get tired of teleporting in monsters tho--it's a cheap trick and for me it kills the map. The first time it happens I forgave it because of all the good stuff going on in the map. But the second time after the wall-cube things lower, I didn't have any desire to keep trying to beat the map. the mancs and things in that room are a bit much, too. I will eventually get around to beating the map, but I think the version you said was "100%" might have been the best version.

Krispy said:

Here's mine I'm calling 'Vernichten.'
http://www.mediafire.com/?q7p2auabhh9wih3
Software compatable, single player only, MAP01.

I think this could be a vanilla/limit-removing map, except all the doors in the area you teleport to have a zero tag, but the linedefs are SR instead of DR. In non-zdoom compatible ports, using SR with zero tag means it activates all sectors with a zero tag, not just the door sector.

DuckReconMajor said:

Blood Octagon - DuckReconMajor
Doom 2 - Boom Compatible - Solo Play - 29459 bytes -
Reviewed by: DuckReconMajor
Sucks.

One-room gimmicky map. If you're lucky you can get to the exit with no problem but it will take a few tries. UV-Maxers should have fun with this (they probably won't). Difficulty levels supported.

The only Boom feature is the transfer sky, so he could make this vanilla compatible if needed.

This was great, DuckReconMajor. It was really cool discovering that you could use the demons to give you some breathing room in the end. I griped a bit that there were no megaspheres, but I did beat it in the end using autosave 30 seconds. time was 3:44. :D It felt like how a doom 2 final battle should have been--epic, drawn out and exciting. Funny how by the end of it the last two cyberdemons seemed so small and insignificant.. like two little imps. It was cool how the plasma from the bfg intermingled with the plasma from the telporting cybs so you couldn't tell when one was teleporting.

Hellbent said:

Hey, you selected the wrong shotgun in the editor. You meant to put the SSG at the beginning, but you mistakenly put the shotgun.

Sorry, but that's quite intentional. People lean on the SSG too much, so wanted to make it a challenge.

gggmork said:

daemalum: fun and nice looking. I like how the architecture changes (didn't test if it could result in stuck enemies that you can no longer kill like maybe that first risen stair case could block an imp in the start room, not sure). The enemies work well with the height variation, and low power starting weapons results in nice infighting situations.

I know when I was testing various bits and clipping through the level, leaving everything alive at the start, it did pin an imp. Might be fixable with a 'block monsters' flag, will have a look.

Ed said:

I just played Daemalum, really great map / awesome texture usage. Plays really well too. Great job, man.

Cheers. :)

TimeOfDeath said:

Btw DooMAD, you said Exl playtested this? Where is he? :)

He may make an appearance at some point, not sure yet. :)

DooMAD said:

Sorry, but that's quite intentional. People lean on the SSG too much, so wanted to make it a challenge.

I like the shotgun more so I enjoy any time I get to use it without feeling like I "should" be using the SSG. Thanks.

so, i played these map this evening:

- abraxas by ed: i'll already played the first version of this map, the new gameplay is better than the one of the first version...

New music is cool, and the part with the "cyberpunk-ish" keys reminded me of this

- Vernichten. by krispy: It's a really nice map, with a strong 1994 vibe in it (maybe too strong in some part, but wtf is the same way i build maps), the courtyard in the beginning reminded me of Alien Vendetta for some reason i can't explain... I found myself without ammo in the village section, and i have to type the berserk cheat for fighting some revenant), but over this is nice.

- daemon malum by DooMAD: That's another awesome map, like the ed's one! Detail and architecture reminded of quake, gameplay is cool and tricks are well concepted!

Also, what do you think about new version of sahkeh? There's something that need to be changed or fixed? But if no one say something, this means it's acceptable....

sahken: I like the wood beams in the sky and bleeding eye, fun, here's a uvmax (not an fda):
http://speedy.sh/jdXCH/sahkeh-uvmax-cl9-ggg.lmp

IMO player start would look better placed more east facing west (I went there at start of demo) instead of right in front of door. Missed 1 monster because I didn't shoot to wake monsters at beginning and he remained asleep in an inaccessible area (fix would probably be to join a dummy sector with that to some main area where you have to shoot so they'd hear/wake up and walk into the warp).

Whoops- Timeofdeath, please update it. The link in my post above is the right one.