Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
yellowmadness54

First WAD you have ever played?

What was the very first doom wad you've loaded and played?

I wanted to put this into the WADs section, but it seemed to fit this forum more, as it concerns doom experiences rather than simply WAD help and suggestions.

My first WAD was one of the wolfendooms, as I downloaded it while reading the wolf3d domes guide to running WADs (which I did not know how to do up until then)

yours?

Mine was a random wad picked from a disc in my Depths of Doom Trilogy. The three disks were Doom, Doom II, and Maximum Doom, which had like 3,000 shitty amateur levels from the interwebs.

Probably Dead Base. It was part of my first trio of WADs was taken from one of the first shareware CD-ROMs released in Greece, and it contained what were to become my first WADs and Doom utilities, back in 1994. The three WADs were Dead Base, FORGE.WAD (ForgeX is a later version, without some copyrighted samples), and The Unholy Trinity (yeah, the big-ass retextured reproduction of trinity college. Oh, what fun running THAT with Doom v1.1 and 4 MB of RAM ;-)

Must have been the Aliens TC. It was starred here, which was for a while my only source of Doom levels outside of the IWADs. That said, I've left most of the wads from that CD unplayed. Heh. I never identified from which of the levels the train station came from.

Also, it had DoomCAD 5.0, which was my editor of choice. :)

I don't remember what the first one was called exactly, but it was for doom.wad, and I think it had "blood" in the title. The only part I remember about it was that there was a sort of well of blood at one point that had a lost soul in it.

The first memorable wad I played (I think a couple years later), was biowar. This wad was probably responsible for getting me rehooked into the game.

The only PWADs I can recall came from the Doom I & II collection. One of them is the venerable Yakworld, the other I later identified as Zeus, which has not enjoyed a favorable interment in the archives. There was also a third wad, nothing but you vs. a Cyberdemon on a bridge set to "Don't Worry, Be Happy".

I remember going to a site (had a black and orange theme IIRC) with a list of megawads. I downloaded Alien Vendetta and Hell Revealed.

I asked my friend which one we should play first (co-op) and he answered Alien Vendetta, because he liked the name.

so, Alien Vendetta it was.

Heh darkreaver, first time I played AV was because of its awesome name too. I wonder how much it has helped its success.

Heh... my cousin's szkola.wad, warcaby.wad and potwory.wad... I was like whoah, creating levels for something as complex as doom?! I was really young back then and I was really excited when I managed to change texture on map01 with dmapedit...

Besides Doom1.wad, I think the first community-made wad I played was some mod that replaced the sound effects with ones from Star Wars. Can't recall what it was called.

Can't remember the name, played it in 2005. It was a one-level Doom1 wad which had custom music. It started in a dark hellish cave and then there was a series of high GRAY -textured buildings in toxic. The map was bright and large, and one thing I remember well is a helipad on top of a building. Does anyone else know this map and help me to find it? Found it from a random site that had other maps like hex2.wad for Doom2, a gothic map that had exit behind the player and a chess mod for Doom.

I seem to recall Super Doom Mario was the first wad I have ever played with Doom which was back in 2008.

Something off the D!Zone 2 CD I still have. I cannot remember the very first WAD I played but the first memorable one was MAP01 of SINCITY5.WAD.

The first PWAD I played through was Memento Mori. Just seeing the opening room blew my mind quite a bit. Never had an experience like that before. Looking back, I wonder if had I picked out some random, mundane WAD, would I've sunk into this sickening Doom addiction I have?

... Probably, yeah.

I lookd at a bunch of WADs like Icarus, Scythe, Alien Vendetta and others, but the first WAD I played through and beaten is Plutonia 2.

First wad I ever tried was probably either the Doom Legacy features demo wad, or was some random DM wad I found on Jive's site. It's too bad that DL kind of fell to the wayside.