Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomQuaker

Glowing texture in GZDoom like in this pic

Hi to all doom maniacs, I'm making GZDoom as beautiful as possible, I have models, high res status bar, remixed music, high res fonts and menu, new sounds, high res textures. 2 things are left to reach perfection, but I don't know if are possible. Here's an example of what I want to install:

http://i39.tinypic.com/fkcoyr.jpg

If possible, how to make it?

Sorry, only floors and ceilings can innately glow. There's no diffuse glow implemented for walls.

You could fake it to some extent by adding colored pointlight objects in the maps, but if you're just trying to make some sort of replacement resource pack you will not want to edit all the maps...

Gez said:

Sorry, only floors and ceilings can innately glow. There's no diffuse glow implemented for walls.

You could fake it to some extent by adding colored pointlight objects in the maps, but if you're just trying to make some sort of replacement resource pack you will not want to edit all the maps...

Edit all the maps! Oh no :)

DoomQuaker said:

Edit all the maps! Oh no :)

Well, there once was this guy here who wanted to convert all IWADs to ZDoom/Hexen format "because it was more flexible", so nothing would surprise me at this point....

I rebuilt the REJECT tables on the IWADs "because it would be faster" and forgot about it, then wondered why demos would always de-sync when I tried viewing some.

DoomQuaker said:

Ehm, what's that? To me seems classic vanilla Doom 2, I don't see nothing different

My post is now out of context. I was responding to someone whose posts seem to have been removed.

Sodaholic said:

No offense, but those hires textures and exaggerated glowing look terrible.

I know, but with less glow they will look very good Imo. DoomRemake was cool but in some aspects was exagerated, it seems that they put light bulbs in every texture

DoomQuaker said:

I know, but with less glow they will look very good Imo.

I think you are very alone with that opinion. ;)

Why does it seem that everyone here hates Graf Zahl?At least to me,it seems like that.This is the 4th post where someone says something negative about him.I think he deserves some respect.After all,HE created ZDoom.

You're confusing Graf Zahl with Randy Heit (the one who actually created ZDoom). Randy doesn't post here.

Vermil said:

Wall/flat based dynamic lights, like all visual effects can greatly enhance a map if done well.

The operating term being 'if done well'.

Automatically plastering on the stock textures for some cheap eye candy does not count as being done 'well'.

The screenshots in your link are an entirely different matter. Using lights like that cannot be compared to using a hires texture pack plus some cheap 'enhancement' effects added on top of it.

Some 'modern style' mods like Legacy of Suffering had an insane amount of work invested into the lighting and look amazing. (which in the case of LoS didn't help much. Great visuals, ugh...tastic rest.)

From my own past experience ...
A new effect gets implemented, it then gets toned down to near 10% of its original intensity, upon which it nearly disappears.
If any effect remains and it does not get entirely nulled out, then there is endless reconsideration, discussion, and wondering if it was worth it. If it is distracting to play, then once the novelty wears off , it gets turned off and forgotten. It is usually that way because the original Doom did a pretty decent job on the balance of effects and play.
The biggest avenue for improvement being where processing power limitations prevented some effects from being implemented, such as decent water.

In Sauerbraten they did a neon world, and I would not recommend it as a good look. Interesting, like fighting in downtown Tokyo, but tiring.
When everything is like that it kills the novelty of any special items, and everything becomes difficult to see and visually distinguish.
You can feel the relief when you go back to a normal appearing world.

Hello everyone! This is my first post here so I hope I will make a good impression and not get anyone annoyed at me :)

I myself use gzdoom every day and what I would suggest to DoomQuaker is that you would use gzdooms texture scaling option along with a great (imho) package called sbrightmaps.pk3 which is available here:

https://rapidshare.com/files/1120059050/Sbrightmaps.zip

This will not work well with a hires texture pack, only with the original textures. however you can combine it with gzdooms hq4x scaling feature to achieve something that is nice looking and also have a nice lighting effect. it is not exactly the same thing, but i like it and use it.

As far as "glowing" is concerned, I have created a custom gldefs file for my install and quite like it. An earlier post on this thread mentions that this effect is not implemented for walls and I have noticed this myself. Since I am not very skilled I would like to ask, is this due to a technical limitation or the authors schedule/preferences?

As a side note, I have been playing through Jenesis (awesome wad!) and noticed that the author has managed to get his lava and yellowstuff walls to appear fullbright. I am only familiar with adding fullbright with the gldefs file, and as we have determined this does not work on walls so I am curious if this can be achieved on the default textures as well.

Regarding fullbright via gldefs, it seems that any sprites that are located on a fullbright floor texture are automatically fullbright themselves. Is there a way around this, or is this just how it is?

I'm sorry for asking so many questions, I try to teach myself but it is overwhelming sometimes because I know very little about these things. But Doom is great and so I like to try.

Also, since I saw Graf Zahl post on this thread, I would just like to say hello and thank you. Your port is number one for me and I enjoy your work very much.

And thanks to anyone who can answer my silly questions.

rampancy said:

As a side note, I have been playing through Jenesis (awesome wad!) and noticed that the author has managed to get his lava and yellowstuff walls to appear fullbright. I am only familiar with adding fullbright with the gldefs file, and as we have determined this does not work on walls so I am curious if this can be achieved on the default textures as well.

I suppose he simply made their sector with a light level of 255.

I see. I need to learn how to map. I doubt I would make anything better than what is already available but I would have a better understanding of what I am looking at. Thanks.

rampancy said:

Hello everyone! This is my first post here so I hope I will make a good impression and not get anyone annoyed at me :)

I myself use gzdoom every day and what I would suggest to DoomQuaker is that you would use gzdooms texture scaling option along with a great (imho) package called sbrightmaps.pk3 which is available here:

https://rapidshare.com/files/1120059050/Sbrightmaps.zip

This will not work well with a hires texture pack, only with the original textures. however you can combine it with gzdooms hq4x scaling feature to achieve something that is nice looking and also have a nice lighting effect. it is not exactly the same thing, but i like it and use it.

As far as "glowing" is concerned, I have created a custom gldefs file for my install and quite like it. An earlier post on this thread mentions that this effect is not implemented for walls and I have noticed this myself. Since I am not very skilled I would like to ask, is this due to a technical limitation or the authors schedule/preferences?

Regarding fullbright via gldefs, it seems that any sprites that are located on a fullbright floor texture are automatically fullbright themselves. Is there a way around this, or is this just how it is?

I'm sorry for asking so many questions, I try to teach myself but it is overwhelming sometimes because I know very little about these things. But Doom is great and so I like to try.

Also, since I saw Graf Zahl post on this thread, I would just like to say hello and thank you. Your port is number one for me and I enjoy your work very much.

And thanks to anyone who can answer my silly questions.

Thanks for the file. Anyway I've learned how to do brightmaps, and done a few for HighRes Textures (models for me are not so important, but HD Textures are almost a MUST)

I'm finishing the brightmaps for GZDoom High Resolution Textures, only the flats are left. This is my very first doom add on (not counting the hilarious collage made with various wads when I was 9-10 years old, ehehe)