Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Captain Toenail

John Romero is Going to Make You His Bitch Again

printz said:

I think he wants to try making a new AAA game

That would be a mistake. He'd need a staff of dozens and would have to deal with the stigma of the pie-in-the-sky design spec that caused Daikatana to crash and burn. He needs to do something "good" before he can do something "great".

Captain Toenail said:
John Romero is Going to Make You His Bitch Again.
[/B]

Again??? So we'll have to wait another ten years for an abomination like Daikatana?

I'm hoping he does something with a small, indie-sized group. I can't imagine him trying to work with a modern day development team, where things are a lot more structured and ideas tend to get blown off if they aren't something that'll definitely make the game more profitable in the short term.

Bucket said:

That would be a mistake. He'd need a staff of dozens and would have to deal with the stigma of the pie-in-the-sky design spec that caused Daikatana to crash and burn. He needs to do something "good" before he can do something "great".

Okay, I exaggerated. My bad. I think I wanted to say retail game. But I'm only speculating.

Technician said:

Maybe we can veto Carnevil and have John finish Wrack.

*crosses fingers*

We can only hope!

With how popular kickstarters are these days among game design veterans, I wouldn't be surprised to see Romero using one to get funds for a potential old school FPS made by him.

So if John Romero has plans for a new FPS, then I wonder how long we'll have to wait for the game to be made and developed until it's released?

NitroactiveStudios said:

So if John Romero has plans for a new FPS, then I wonder how long we'll have to wait for the game to be made and developed until it's released?

He still needs to find a developer to fund his game. He may go indy and start his own team, but he needs money invested from somewhere.

NitroactiveStudios said:

Long enough that people have forgotten about this news. Say, ten years.

After hearing about this, I wonder what the new FPS will be about? Will it be about demons or terroists? Also, I woder where it will take place? I also wonder how many levels there will be?

Technician said:

He still needs to find a developer to fund his game. He may go indy and start his own team, but he needs money invested from somewhere.

It would be great if he'd jump on Kickstarter.

After someone introduced me to Daikatana on this forum... the Game Boy Color version of Daikatana is awesome like a speedy Zelda on crack.

Anyway... John Romero needs to work on a successful game again before he goes making his own. I don't know though. Is there really any room for a new FPS?

It would be cool if he used the Doom engine with Zdoom features.I'd also like to see very smooth sprites(more than 4 frames per animation) and high resolution textures.

DooM_RO said:

It would be cool if he used the Doom engine with Zdoom features.I'd also like to see very smooth sprites(more than 4 frames per animation) and high resolution textures.

Not gonna happen.

DooM_RO said:

No. Too old-tech.

Wasn't John the guy that did nothing but party and spend money like a bitch?

Krispy said:

What would you do if you had helped create Doom?

Personally... I'd work like Carmack. Some millionaires still work. Dead beats don't work.

geo said:

Personally... I'd work like Carmack. Some millionaires still work. Dead beats don't work.

What are you, fucking retarded? John is pulling in the cash with his Facebook application business.

We have another Sodaholic here.

Almost every one of my recent posts has either directly addressed what a horrible poster geo is, or was inspired as a reply to something monumentally stupid he posted.

Technician said:

We have another Sodaholic here (about geo).

Actually, geo has been around longer than Sodaholic, though I can concur, it can be hard to discern between the two at times (and I put Hellbent in the brew, too).

It surprises me that these accounts are not exactly newbies (2005 and 2007, accordingly), yet they both seem to have remained mostly dormant and only received a massive "boost" in usage in the last year or so. The first posts from both accounts are totally different in style and tone....it's almost as if somebody passed, in both cases, the account to his little brother or not-so-bright buddy.

Maes said:

Actually, geo has been around longer than Sodaholic, though I can concur, it can be hard to discern between the two at times (and I put Hellbent in the brew, too).

It surprises me that these accounts are not exactly newbies (2005 and 2007, accordingly), yet they both seem to have remained mostly dormant and only received a massive "boost" in usage in the last year or so. The first posts from both accounts are totally different in style and tone....it's almost as if somebody passed, in both cases, the account to his little brother or not-so-bright buddy.

Peoples' writing style can change as they get older. I know mine has gone through some big changes since I registered here 7 1/2 or so years ago.

My explanation:

1. Skull crushing
2. 1/2 years of coma
3. ???
4. Profit!!!

On-topic: What if Romero's plan was to make a Doom-like app for Facebook?

Darkman 4 said:

Peoples' writing style can change as they get older.

Yeah, but for the worse? :-p

@K!r4: Doomville? No thanks.

Maes said:

Yeah, but for the worse? :-p

@K!r4: Doomville? No thanks.

You'd be surprised. I used to write in wooden sentences with the occasional big word (at least as far as I remember), but now I'm trying to be more natural. To someone that didn't know better, they may think my sentences were getting worse.

K!r4 said:

On-topic: What if Romero's plan was to make a Doom-like app for Facebook?

I predict it would be trendy for a while but no one would know about Romero.

Darkman 4 said:

Peoples' writing style can change as they get older. I know mine has gone through some big changes since I registered here 7 1/2 or so years ago.

It's true that writing style changes as people change/mature/gain writing skill/etc, but I wouldn't chalk that up as a significant factor in the case of geo.

My soberest appraisal of the situation with him is that some people post to either raise their post count or to "hear themselves speak," if you follow what I mean. The evidence I am using to reach that appraisal is that almost every one of his posts I have seen are either largely inaccurate, or profoundly out-of-touch with the subject he's attempting to comment on. There's often a grain of hyperbole in them that I guess is intended to mark his self-perceived wisdom or experience.

In the end, anyone who has any sort of real expertise on whatever issue he's commenting on is easily able to rip him apart. Even his opinions, by their nature subjective, are easy to ridicule.

See: Every single post he's made in the D3 forum. Ever.