Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Snakes

Unholy Realms (28 Maps Done)

hot damn. your style is exactly what i love to see in a doom map. like the offspring of scythe2 and vanguard.

Just reminding people that the project is still alive. I've complete three maps over the past week or so and have another in the works currently. Can't expect this pace to keep up forever, though :)

In addition, more music and gfx from PRIMEVAL are being worked on and the Map31 slot is being granted to a special "guest mapper" to give the project a spiritual connection to Scythe, which is my personal favorite wad.

As for the most recent maps, I will say that the focus on non-linearity and chaotic gameplay has been increased as opposed to what some saw the 12-map demo (e.g., nothing similar to Map09, Map11). Also, I have a more set difficulty curve to work with now than before:

Map01-Map05: Warm-up and fast-blast maps.
Map06-Map11: Increased difficulty, but nothing too tough on UV
Map11-Map20: Something akin to PL2 or PRCP, with the end of the episode nearing a routine mastermind/cyberdemon pace
Map21-Map25: Much like Scythe's 3rd episode - limited armor, but relatively manageable enemy count. Skills 2 and 3 will feature more armor for players who have difficulties here.
Map26-Map30: Very challenging maps, near HR challenge.

The plan is to make the skills sort of like older wads, with skill 2 being for the kids and skill 3 being for those who can't handle the toughness of UV.

Map19

Map21:

A mid-2012 released date is a reasonable expectation ATM.

Hey, I recognize that first map, I think :)

Looks good. I don't know how you complete three maps in a week, but please keep on doing whatever it is you're doing :P

As a tester, I can say every level I've played so far kicks ass, and that this is turning out to be an epic megawad. Expect something that will remind you why you follow the Doom modding scene when a full version is unleashed. ;)

Thanks guys <3

Now that I've graduated and have some form of gainful employment, I should be able to work at a fairly steady pace (excepting moments of mapper's block and the sort). 11 maps to go from myself... the finish line is actually sort of visible off in the distance.

Yaaay! Three maps finished in a week.

Oh wait, I'm a playtester for this.

Booo!!! Three maps finished in a week. Hiss!!!

Seriously tho, this is going to be a genuinely epic and unique megawad.

Keep up the good work Snakes.

technically you can make alot of progress on 1 map in just 4 hours of work a day, hell iv made the skeletal work of a map in 1 day, and completed all the details and monster and item placement the next day.

The thing is most people do like 2-10 sectors a day which ends up making 1 map take a month to complete.

[WH]-Wilou84 said:
Looking good :)
Going to try that old 12 map demo of yours, completely missed that post.

The 12 map demo was loads of fun and looked nice too... You'll enjoy it a lot I think :)

I'm probably looking forward to this more than any other project.

I'm on map05 so far, this is really fun! Ordinarily how often you are using traps would get stale for me pretty soon but I like how many of the traps get "smarter" as you progress. The first couple levels were really easy and you had simple monster closets after switch presses, but later on some of the traps get real snappy. There was this one part in MAP05 where you get a red key and a whole mess of pinky demons and a revenant show up out of nowhere, then instinctively I run back into the hallway I came from to pick em off from a safe distance. It's almost as if Snakes was just like "yeah I thought of that" and whaddya know, I'm getting hacked to shreds by a pair of hell knights in said hallway. I feel less like the UAC bases are being overrun by monsters and more like Snakes is staging situations to kill me. It's really pretty awesome.

This looks epic. :D PRIMEVAL's recent music uploads to YouTube prompted me to find out about this one, and it looks like just my sort of thing. :D I regret not checking this one out sooner...

Anyway, forgive the thread necromancy but it would appear that the only link to the demo WAD is via the now kaput MegaUpload. Is there another working link that I'm not aware of? If not, could I request a new one? :)

I've updated the first post to include the link to the 12-map demo. Work on this ATM is a bit slow, as I've been using my "Brian gets creative" time to focus on writing instead, but knowing how things go with me and Doom, that means that there'll be a slew of maps finished next month.

My goal is to have this completed August 27th (my 25th bithday), which gives me 6 months... reasonable enough deadline.

It is with great regret and severe disappointment in myself that I must announce that this project has been cancelled. All progress beyond the 12-map demo has been lost on account of my back-up hard-drive, which contained all Doom material, being destoryed. While I could attempt to reconstruct the lost maps, I just don't have the heart for such an endeavor. Time to move on to other projects, finishing maps for community wads, etc. In the interim, I'll upload the 12-map demo to /idgames.

Thank you all for your support. I hope to make up for this with future projects.

some fdas - http://speedy.sh/2CbnT/URdemo01-06.zip
Got bored after map06, not my cup of tea I guess. High quality detailing, but the levels themselves are uninteresting. Also I don't like how there is no exploration at all, just fights, fights and more fights. Gameplay isn't everything...

Gameplay isn't everything...

Uh... Uh... No, YOU are the ugly one!

i will wait till you become a legendary mapper with 4 or 5 cacowards in your pants and everyone drooling at the mention of a new map by snakes, then i'll be like oh look what i found, a wip of UR with maps past 12! i'll be sure to misalign textures and put FIREBLU all over the place so it feels vintage and authentic!

Snakes said:

It is with great regret and severe disappointment in myself that I must announce that this project has been cancelled. All progress beyond the 12-map demo has been lost on account of my back-up hard-drive, which contained all Doom material, being destoryed. While I could attempt to reconstruct the lost maps, I just don't have the heart for such an endeavor. Time to move on to other projects, finishing maps for community wads, etc. In the interim, I'll upload the 12-map demo to /idgames.

Thank you all for your support. I hope to make up for this with future projects.

Would it change your mind if I said that I still had the most recent mapset for this with maps 1-17, 19-21, 24 and 30?

Or have you lost a lot of other half finished maps on top of this?

Really sorry to hear this, it was a great mapset.

[edit] also what dew said.

dew said:

i will wait till you become a legendary mapper with 4 or 5 cacowards in your pants and everyone drooling at the mention of a new map by snakes, then i'll be like oh look what i found, a wip of UR with maps past 12! i'll be sure to misalign textures and put FIREBLU all over the place so it feels vintage and authentic!

The only way to do this mapset justice :P

Oh, and yeah, essel got it right the first time. April Fool's and stuff. Apparently I'm a mean prankster when I get drunk!

The project isn't cancelled, but at the rate I'm mapping for it, it probably won't be released until 2022.

Memfis said:

some fdas - http://speedy.sh/2CbnT/URdemo01-06.zip
Got bored after map06, not my cup of tea I guess. High quality detailing, but the levels themselves are uninteresting. Also I don't like how there is no exploration at all, just fights, fights and more fights. Gameplay isn't everything...

It's the only thing! heehee... The first 6 maps are definitely the weakest, IMO, so I hope that the full-release will cater a bit more to your tastes. THANK YOU FOR THE FDAS!