Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Captain Red

midis

Is there some kind of tool that lets you play midis as they would sound through the doom.exe/doom2.exe? It would save allot of hassle if I could just here how they sound by themselves, in stead of having to stick them in a wad and playing and then getting into doom just to here if they sound any good. (and they sound better in the game IMO).

if there are any for heretic, hexen, decent, duke nukem3d, ect, would be apperceived to.

Ct_red_pants said:

apperceived

give a meaning for that word and put it in a dictionary.

Ah, but he didn't ask you for an apology, just the meaning of that funny word you posted ;-)

Before this thread goes up in flames like it deserves to why don't all of you ZDoomin' bastards download this skin?

C:\Doom\ZDoom\Skins

It's the first mesh between the player sprite and a chaingunner that DOESN'T suck nineteen scrotums at once, can you believe it? Now for one that meshes the player sprite with the shotgunner and I will be able to die happy.

In response to the original question, you can use WinTex for Doom, Doom2, Heretic, and Hexen. If you listen to the music through WinTex, it sounds about as close to the real game as you're going to get.

Archvile64 said:

In response to the original question, you can use WinTex for Doom, Doom2, Heretic, and Hexen. If you listen to the music through WinTex, it sounds about as close to the real game as you're going to get.

Wrong! WinTex converts the MUS files to MIDI and the listens them in the Windows MIDI Player.

I can only think of two programs that actually play MUS files, as they are: NWT 1.3, which is available from http://www.doomworld.com/classicdoom/utils/editors.php and the classic MUSPlay, which is available from http://www.gamers.org/addons/utils/util_archive/muspl175.zip .

NWT allows you to play the music inside the editor, which is more or less like playing music inside DOOM.

MUSPlay is a cool DOS command-line program, which allows infinite loops, fast forward, volume control, and most imporant: you can invoke COMMAND.COM and run other tasks while playing.

Major downside: doesn't work cool in Windows. You can make it play via the system timer, but then if you run anything that changes the rate of this timer, the play rate will get all messed up.

Another downside: probably won't work with non-DOS sound cards, sometimes messes up sound on non-Creative sound cards.

Still, it is the best (only) player that plays the MUS format outside of DOOM, without converting it to something that makes it sound different. In some rare cases the music doesn't sound exactly like in the game, but is always very close. To get it even close, extract the GenMidi.OP2 from DOOM.WAD and use it instead of what comes with MusPlay (unless you have an AWE - then it uses GenMidi.AWE).

Naturally, MusPlay also works with original songs from Heretic and Hexen, because it's the same MUS format. You may want to use the GenMidi lump from the Heretic WAD, as it is a bit different than the one in DOOM...

Duke Nukem 3D uses standard MIDI, so I assume any MIDI player will sound as close as possible to the game.

I don't know of a program that plays the Descent music files without converting them.

BTW, there is a WinAmp plugin, which allows playing of all these "MIDI clones", but it won't sound very close to the games.

dr_st said:

Duke Nukem 3D uses standard MIDI, so I assume any MIDI player will sound as close as possible to the game.

Wrong! They're in the wonderous 3DRealms EMIDI format, which is basically just like midi although they hide an E in there somewhere I guess or something. It comes with a nifty GUS patch but that's about it.

Although I've almost always played Doom through General Midi anyway, and I've found it just about always sounds exactly the same. Probably my affection for kickass soundcards though.

FM Synthesis... yikes.

deadnail said:

Wrong! They're in the wonderous 3DRealms EMIDI format, which is basically just like midi although they hide an E in there somewhere I guess or something. It comes with a nifty GUS patch but that's about it.

Duke3D MIDIs play like standard MIDIS! Or I'ma kill you!

(what I mean is that the music files can be extracted from Duke and played in any MIDI player, without any conversions. And vice versa - standard MIDI files should be recognized by Duke.)

And not all of us have kickass soundcards, you... person!

Well shit once you go wavetable and start playing every game through GM it's kinda hard to go back.

And like I said... they're still technically composed in the EMIDI format... God knows what every other player does with that E but hey, who cares anyway? =)

If you get a misprinted bottle of Coca~Cola that says ENJOY COCK on the side the contents are still the same. Heheh, I just reminded myself of one of Björk's old promo photos. =)

Zaldron said:

/me gets an urge to hear Millennium's Map01 song again.

Urge? WOOOAAAAAHHHH

She's got the urge.... to herbal....

deathwarrior said:

Urge? WOOOAAAAAHHHH

She's got the urge.... to herbal....

DIE A SLOW AND PAINFUL DEATH

Liam the Bard said:

DIE A SLOW AND PAINFUL DEATH

Heh, I hate it how those commercials always make it look the girl is having the best sex ever.

Archvile64 said:

Heh, I hate it how those commercials always make it look the girl is having the best sex ever.

She is, deadnail is under there eating her out!

has anyone else noticed how the girl in the newest urge commercial has the biggest googly eyes? she looks like a god damn chuahua with those shits in her skull. It's freaking ridiculous.

deadnail said:

Wrong! They're in the wonderous 3DRealms EMIDI format, which is basically just like midi although they hide an E in there somewhere I guess or something.

Dude... 3drealms... Levelord... Need I say more? :)

I only think I'll need to say this once.

BigBadWigger. GET THE FUCK OFF OF MY SIDE.