Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ForeverViLe

My first map ever released

Hi, I'm a beginner mapper and I've tried to build a decent map for a long time and my attempts always failed because I wasn't pleased from the whole map when I finished it.

I finally finishd building a nice map after 4-5 days. It's called "Spawning Punks" and I posted some screenshots of it in the "post your doom picture thread".

Here's the download: http://www.mediafire.com/?s1r58g8lf6cto0c (the fixed one)
The map is map01, I tested it on zdoom only.
P.S: not recommended on NM and I wouldn't release the revenants near the exit.
The gameplay is nice but since the escape route is small and there are loads of chaingunners I hope that it isn't annoying.

I'm sry to say but its still not working.
But I took a look at the map in DB2 and its looking very nice for a first map.
Its just a little bit to tight but otherwise it looks very cool :D
Now I just want to be able to play it :-)

The first version works fine for me in Prboom-plus 2.5.1.3. I haven't managed to beat this map yet (evil traps mixed with extremely limited ammo = many deaths), but it is fun to play and I really like your design (reminds me of Scythe 2 episode 3 and some of my own maps). Keep mapping!

I'll try to check why its still not working, It's working fine on my zdoom, I'm a newbie so it would take me some time to find a solution.

I know that some traps are annoying- my previous maps were with kinda big sectors and pointless battles so this time I tried something else.
Especially the beginning is annoying because of the incoming chaingunners, the revenant in the left and the imps behind the door.

I used zdoom 2.5.0
This map is inspired from all the plutonia's, sunder, scythe 1&2, and alien vendetta, I enjoy playing them so thats probably the reason that this map is filled with many chaingunners&revenants.

I'm going to work on another map soon, probably a more detailed one.

I played the WAD and it was awesome! I liked how you use the lights as the door tracks. I also managed to find the two secrets, but finding the second one was a bit too easy.

Also, the switch used to lower the platform with the red key had a glitch problem with the texture.

Here's how it was supposed to look:

But here's what it looked lik in gameplay:

Yeah it glitched up like that somehow, and I had a similar problem like that too with one of my maps.

Anyways, the map was really good and I think you did a good job.

I know that the second one was too easy, It's just my first map so I wanted it to be a bit easy.

I started working on my 2nd map I hope to finish it in a few days, building outdoor areas are a bit hard for me so I'm working on it slowly because I don't want most of my outdoor areas to look the same.

Awesome map! Some of the details added into it were really nice as well ;)

Thanks, I already finished my 2nd map aswell It's much smaller than this on, it has about 40 monsters and it takes about 1:30-2 minutes to uv max it just like the fun fast maps of Scythe.

I already have the idea for maps 3&4 but I gonna build them later I guess, I'm building map 5 first, I have a great idea for a map that will finish this episode.

Thanks, I almost finished map 05, only a small boss fight and the exit are left.
I hope to finish maps 3&4 this month and then release the whole episode.
My megawwad is still nameless :D but I gonna think about a short story and find it a name.

To fix the visual glitch that NS mentioned just do this ...

1. Remove both the Y and X alignment figures for line 847 (0/0).
2. Drag line 846 2 mappixels south so that lines 845 and 847 now have a length of 62. Save.

BTW I noticed that your doortracks scroll. To prevent this just flag your doortrack lines lower unpegged.

I kinda like scrolling doortracks. Makes it seem like chains are pulling up the door. I never understood why that bothered people so much. I guess because that's not how id did it.

ForeverViLe said:

Thanks, I already finished my 2nd map aswell It's much smaller than this on, it has about 40 monsters and it takes about 1:30-2 minutes to uv max it just like the fun fast maps of Scythe.

I already have the idea for maps 3&4 but I gonna build them later I guess, I'm building map 5 first, I have a great idea for a map that will finish this episode.

Awesome! I'll be expecting the release ;)

ForeverViLe said:

Also, the map runs well with GLBoom Plus. Keep up the work!

Map 05 is 90% done more or less, most of the gameplay is done I'm working on the last area now, I'll fix my previous maps when I finish map 05.
I'll start working on maps 3&4 this weekend and I'll release the whole episode when I finish everything.

I hope to finish this episode pretty soon, I already have ideas for most of the second episode and I wanna start it already but I'll finish this episode first.

hawkwind said:

To fix the visual glitch that NS mentioned just do this ...

1. Remove both the Y and X alignment figures for line 847 (0/0).
2. Drag line 846 2 mappixels south so that lines 845 and 847 now have a length of 62. Save.

BTW I noticed that your doortracks scroll. To prevent this just flag your doortrack lines lower unpegged.

OK, thanks for that, even though I'm not the guy who made this. As for the doortracks, maybe he did that on purpose for a cool effect.

Krispy said:

I kinda like scrolling doortracks. Makes it seem like chains are pulling up the door.

You really should play Eternal DOOM. The authors made good use of pegged lower chain textures on the sides of doors.