Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Insomniak

Is it worth buying?

i'm getting a new computer, an i wanna know what games to get for it. Here are some of the choices:

a) Ultimate Quake pack (Y/N)

b) Doom Collector's (Y/N)

c) Counter-Stike (Y/N)

d) Unreal Tournament (Y/N)

e) other (please specify)

a) Ultimate Quake pack: Might as well. Quake and Quake 2 are both fun games that age well and have fun multiplayer.

b) Doom Collector's: If you don't already legally own UDoom, Doom2, and Final, then yes. If you already own, two of the three, you can probably get the rest for $10 a pop (except Final, it's pretty hard to find by itself. I found my copy at a consignment store in Edmonton.)

c) Counter-Stike: Hell no. Buy Half-Life Gold Edition instead (if you can still find it), or buy Half-Life GOTY edition. If you gotta play CS, download it off the 'net like the rest of sane humanity.

d) Unreal Tournament: There's a very good reason this game kicked Q3A's ass in sales. Release timing isn't it.

e) other (please specify): Unreal Gold is a fun single player game, which'll be bundled with UT anymore. Deus Ex and System Shock 2 are both classic single-player FPS/mindfuck games. MDK2 is an okay use for $10 and 5 hours.

Insomniac said:

The only Quake remotely worth playing is Quake 1.

No, unless for some reason you don't already have doom.

c) Counter-Stike (Y/N)

NO NO NO. Get Half Life GOTY edition, download Day of Defeat and FireArms. Normal HLDM is good too. Just stay away from HL single player unless you like jumping puzzles and instant kill hazards.

Yep.

Unreal Gold and American McGee's Alice are worth your time.

Insomniac said:

i'm getting a new computer, an i wanna know what games to get for it. Here are some of the choices:

Sure, why not. Quake I and II aren't bad, I liked Quake II's use of storyline yet still kept the game quite active.

Hell yes, if you somehow don't already own all of the Dooms.

Insomniac said:

If this has Quake Mission Pack 1: Scourge of Armagon - GET IT, GET IT NOW!!!

If not - feh.

a) YES. The Quake games, it doesn't matter if you like them or not, are cornerstones in the mod community. Each game has over fifty good mods. That's a lot of fun, IMO.

b) Not sure why. If you're lacking D1 or D2 then go for it. Final isn't that good.

c) Nah, Half-Life GOTY and download CS from the net. Besides Counter-Strike retail has fake weapon names and some of the levels are missing.

d) I didn't liked it, but it's a good games. As good as multiplayer-only games get. Go for it if you have a decent connection. Fighting with bots gets old.

e) Jedi Knight II, Heretic II, Alice...

Zaldron said:

Final isn't that good.

Like most of the games and mods, it's worth it for a few specific maps.

I've forgotten most of them, but I remember TNT map09 or map10 was really a standout and loads of fun. Most of Plutonia was complete ass though.

Yeah but he's not gonna spend $25 for a couple of good levels. Not with all the good stuff released on a weekly basis.

Yeah, why not? Both Quake1 and Quake 2 are decent games (Quake1 gets monotonous really fast, but is fun if you haven't played it for a long time, Quake 2 is good because of cool weapons and a bit more "storyline" to it)

If you don't own U Doom or Doom 2 legally then YES, by all means buy it!

c) Counter-Stike (Y/N)

With respect mate, are you total nuts??? Download it if you really want a realistic multiplayer shooter, but DON'T FUCKING BUY IT!

It's better than Q3A gameplaywise, but it's a multiplayer only game and my opinion towards mp only games is the following: BAH!

e) other (please specify) [/B]

RtCW if you want an overall fun game which doesn't have to be a fucking history lesson, MoH:AA if you're one of these "correct-history" freaks.

UT is one of my fav shooter, you should buy it. Very, very fun.

If you like Diablo 2, go buy Dungeon Siege now. I bought it 3 days ago and it's the greatest game I bought. It's completely 3d, You can control 8 character at the same time and it's a big game. I think there's 14 maps and I'm at the 4th with 12 hours played. And the greatest thing is that multiplayer has a different map that the single player with different quest and it's twice as big as the single player map.

Do you want to see more? Go to http://www.dungeonsiege.com

In my opinion, Dungeon Siege just sucks. It tries to be different than Diablo, but because of that they're lacking some of the fundamental concepts that make Diablo work.

The only thing that DS miss is making different map on multi-player which can reduce the life of the game, but DS will have a map editor that D2 doesn't have so they are even.

I prefer the way the character evolve in DS cause you don't assign a class to a character compare to D2 that you choose a barb so you'Re stuck with a barb for the game. DS let you boost you character in a class so it will become good in that class. But you can change it's class while you play.

It's just an opinion so it depends on the person that play it. For me DS kick D2 ass .

A) I dont know what's in the ultimate quake pack. Personally, someone gave me Quake1 (he was leaving town) and I bought the Quake2+netpack+ground zero+reckoning at Babbage's for $20.

I'd go get it - it'll help you boost your FPS gaming skillz (especially quake2, it contains alot of fast enemies and weapons more commonly used in multiplayer nowadays).

B) I dont know what's in collector's edition doom. I remember seeing it at best buy for $10. Someone already stated that it had both doom1 (ultimate doom) and doom2 in it. Does it have other stuff like plutonia or tnt wad or anything else? (besides, were those commercial wads or mods?).
As for Final Doom, isn't that just another name for doom1+doom2?

Meh, if you're here then you probably already have doom.

C) I've never held much favor for any of the half-life variants, decide on your own (though as any general advice, i'd suggest going with any variety that includes the original game missions).

D) Unreal Tournament - yes, get it. I got it.

UT is okay I guess, it's definatly a different style of gameplay, and the bots are pretty hard depending on which setting you have them set at (the challenger levels are really tough - they're robot bots [have a laugh]).

The game incudes CTF, "Assault", Tournament Deathmatch, Last Man Standing, and "Domination". Last man standing is a competition for deathcount (as opposed to frags). Assault is a coordinated team assault of some kind of military objective (very close to what i'd consider "normal" SP levels). Domination is funky... and hard, there are 3 control points in a level that you must "capture" and keep captured from the other team to get points, it's really hard when you have alot of bots/players ('cause then control points change owners like the wind).

The weapon selection is pretty nice, but the way they do the minigun is strange (it's more like a .45cal SMG), the redeemer isn't near as effective as you'd think, the flak cannon is a super-weapon, and the plasma gun is really goofy. Oh and the AMSD has to be the coolest-looking weapon ever made for an FPS (and it actually has 3 fire modes if you include the "bigbang").

E) Other - Depends on what genre you have to select from.

*I've got all 3 of the fallout series (fallout 1, fallout 2, and fallout tactics), those are roleplaying games.

*Then there's the Command and Conquer variants - Redalert 1 & 2, and Tiberian Sun. I got redalert 1 (but i dont play it) and tiberian sun (ive got a mod going for it - rules.ini only tho).

*I got all three quake's (who doesnt), but I dont play quake1 anymore (to me it's outlived itself, become lame). I learned all I know about how to use a railgun/sniper rifle from quake3 (esp the levels with voids and jumppads) - the key is not to hesitate.

*I'd seriously invest in some downloading time to download mods for any games you get. There are so many starting points as far as mods go for doom series (mostly maps), id start with a megawad first though (which means at least 5mb usually).

Zaldron said:

a) YES. The Quake games, it doesn't matter if you like them or not, are cornerstones in the mod community. Each game has over fifty good mods. That's a lot of fun, IMO.

I agree. Take THAT Liam! :P

b) Not sure why. If you're lacking D1 or D2 then go for it. Final isn't that good.

Funny...Final was the only reason I got it...

d) I didn't liked it, but it's a good games.

Maybe yous should checks into some Engrish lesson =)

Nah, I'm just fucking with you, Zaldy.

e) Jedi Knight II, Heretic II, Alice...

Don't forget Hexen II.

Yeah but he's not gonna spend $25 for a couple of good levels.

Hmmmm...it's only about 20 in Texas....

I agree with all of them except for CS. Get the half-life platinum edition instead.

just one thing with all of your rants against CS...

... i wanna know what games to get for it...

"getting" doesn't mean "buying"

You shouldn't 'get' CS whether you pay for it or not, it still sucks. DoD is by far the best HL mod.

fodders said:

Baaaad warez posts

Umm, Counter-Strike is still and shall always be a free modification for the Half-life engine. The commercial game is actually a butchered version of the downloadable mod with a few tutorials thrown in for the clueless.

Linguica said:

I should point out that Liam the Bard thinks Daikatana is good and Half-Life is bad.

Noticed.

Insomniac said:

c) Counter-Stike (Y/N)

A) Yes, if you don't already have Quake 1 and 2

B) Um, why?

C) No! Its only fun if you play on a LAN with your friends. Otherwise, you get a bunch of cheating lamers going "AhaHa! Yuo are teh Suck!" And let me tell you, they DO cheat ever so much...

D) If you really want a multiplayer-only game, then get it. Its a lot better than Quake 3.

E) There are a few:

Civilization 3, if you have a lot of time
Planescape: Torment, if you have a good imagination (there is a lot of text, and requires some thinking!!!)
Dungeon Keeper, if you can find it

Linguica said:

I should point out that Liam the Bard thinks Daikatana is good and Half-Life is bad.

I play HLDM/DoD almost religously (more than I play doom, heretic, or hexen in all honesty), I'm trying to learn the Valve Hammer Editor (formerly worldcraft), I look forward to HL2 whenever it'll show up, and to top it all off I'm doing textures/skins and possibly maps for an SP HL mod that captain skippy is the project lead for.

Nevertheless the HL single player mission is one of the worst gaming experiences I've ever had, ever. Too many battles were won by standing in one place and shooting my mp5. Those that weren't were usually solved by applying advanced gameplay strategy such as 'strafing to the left slightly'. The enemies were always either unoriginal (headcrabs), redundant (sounddogs, zombies, barnacles), stupid (grunts), or just annoying (huge gigantic green tentacle hentai beast reject). I was frequently instantly killed by doing such things as 'climb a ladder', or 'step in a puddle of water'. 90% of the game took place in one damn gray base with no interesting or memorable maps, rooms, or floor tiles whatsoever. Nihilanth is the worst last boss EVER. To top it all off, valve gives you no reason or motivation to FINISH the game because IT. HAS. NO. REAL. PLOT.. The plot does not unfold as the game progresses. The plot has no background. The plot is disconnected. The ending to HL is not a 'cliffhanger', it is an 'excuse not to make a good ending'.

I love HL and I hate it at the same time. I love HLDM technique and how much like learning to dance or play a sport it is. I love the moddability and I love the mods (well, some of them). I hate the festering pile of dog shit valve calls a single player experience, and that settles it.

Note: For the sake of TF server space I will not get started on Daikatana.

Liam the Bard said:

I play HLDM/DoD almost religously (more than I play doom, heretic, or hexen in all honesty)

You HERETIC!!!!! (no pun intended)

Zaldron said:

Wait a goddamn minute, you like Half-Life's deathmatch?

MWHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH

Yeah, thats like the worst Deathmatch in any game - EVER!

Zaldron said:

Wait a goddamn minute, you like Half-Life's deathmatch?

MWHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH

Well, uh, what's wrong with it?