Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NiTROACTiVE

How To Run Doomattack on WinUAE?

Hey guys, I need help on how to run Doomattack on WinUAE. I have Windows 7 as my operating system and it is the 64-bit version. I'm pretty good with DOSBox, but I don't know WinUAE much. So can someone give me some instructions on how to run Doomattack on WinUAE?

Incase you're wondering, Doomattack still exists and you can find it here.

If I can get it running on Amiga Forever (which is based on WinUAE), I'll let you know what's involved.

EDIT - If all you have right now is WinUAE, you'll need to lay your hands on a Kickstart ROM image (version 3.0 or 3.1) and a Workbench disk image (same version number) in order to create a suitable emulated environment to run DoomAttack in. WinUAE will also need to be configured to emulate a 68030 or better CPU with at least 4Meg of Fast RAM and AGA graphics. I'll say more as I find out more.

Getting there, but still some way to go.

(733x618 - 46k)

I decided to start from scratch and installed WinUAE on my Win7 laptop (along with Kickstart and Workbench images), so you'll stand a better chance of replicating my configuration. I'd forgotten how daunting that emulator can be to setup. At the moment I'm running DoomAttack from a Shell prompt since the beta on Aminet is missing a Workbench launch icon, might be able to work my way around that.

Will keep you posted.

Nice - have always wanted to see this running in WINUAE.
Awesome emu and cool seeing it feasting on Doom.

Progress report...

(733x618 - 84k)

Doubling system RAM to 8Meg and raising the stack to 32k got rid of the black spots, though with AGA chipset emulation it's like watching a slideshow. :(

Installing the Picasso96 video driver (designed for add-on cards that are mainly built around VGA chipsets) makes the game playable, even in fullscreen mode. Don't have any music yet, that's still on my to-do list along with seeing how DoomAttack copes with the registered/retail IWADs.

@NitroactiveStudios - What's the current state of your WinUAE installation and configuration?

GreyGhost said:

@NitroactiveStudios - What's the current state of your WinUAE installation and configuration?

I'm not sure. How do I check that?

Actually, if you could name and save your current configuration then post it's contents in this thread (it's in plain text) along with contents of winuaebootlog.txt (which should be in C:\Program Files (x86)\WinUAE\), that'll give me a fair idea of your setup.

In related news, I found some music for DoomAttack but haven't managed to get it to play. I suspect it's the broken Vista/7 sound mixer but can't say for sure yet, if it is I'll look for a workaround.

GreyGhost said:

Actually, if you could name and save your current configuration then post it's contents in this thread (it's in plain text) along with contents of winuaebootlog.txt (which should be in C:\Program Files (x86)\WinUAE\), that'll give me a fair idea of your setup.

In related news, I found some music for DoomAttack but haven't managed to get it to play. I suspect it's the broken Vista/7 sound mixer but can't say for sure yet, if it is I'll look for a workaround.

OK thanks, but do you suppose that a Doom Editor like Slade3 could run the music Doomattack style if I use the right file from the .LHA file?

I doubt it, the music's in a tracker format I haven't encountered before. VLC Media Player can't handle it so I doubt Slade could, XMPlay will with the proper plugin (if you rename the tracks as .mod files), or you could try The Player under WinUAE.

Progress report...

Looks like it mightn't be the Win7 audio mixer that's being stubbornly silent, since a quick install on my old XP laptop is equally mute when it comes to music - I've obviously more digging to do. I also led you astray with The Player in my previous post, that's a source release. You'll have to go back a couple of releases to find a binary which I'll be testing tonight.

Triple-post - with half twist, pike and good news!

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!

The DoomAttack music tracks turned out to be a waste of time, probably something not quite right with the P61 player plugin since they sounded fine when fed to a standalone player. Another search of the Internet turned up what I needed on one of the Amiga forums (post 20 on this page to be precise), a pre-assembled setup complete with midi instrument set. Apart from adding IWADs and changing the video mode (in DoomAttackPrefs) to "UAE: 320x200 8bit" it was ready to run. It's a different sounding instrument set but not to the point of making the tracks unrecognizable and - most importantly - it plays on Win7. Apart from a potential speed tweak or two, like adding more virtual Fast RAM to the emulation so IWADs can be read from a RAM disk, it looks like I'm all set to fry some demon butt. :D

While the original download link for AmigaDOOM.lha is dead I found another here that worked.