Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
999cop

Any professional opinions/suggestions would help

This is something really hard for me to ask since from the beginning at this moment I don't know what exactly kinds of answer I expect from you guys. This question might have some sort of relations to previous subjects we all have discussed in past. Unfortunately, since the search engine isn't available anymore, therefore, I'd like to share this with you.

There is one thing I would like to know that how the storyline of Doom 3 should begin, from the transition of the most recently previous Doom-based game: Final Doom to the new Doom. So far, my thoughts and imagainations on what Doom 3 will turn out to be is pretty much blurry regardless I have seen the shots and the footage and all.

Currently, I'm working on a project called Technology Arena, a brand new deathmatch series is supposedly meant for vanilla Doom 2. Intentionally, I plan to design levels based on the transition, including settings and atmosphere, from the old doom to the new doom through these years have been apart.

Right now I made a few levels out of it. However, I'd like to know what my next levels should look like and be designed. Should settings(places where the event/storyline happen at) in Hell or modern technological world? What types of texture should be used in? Any ideas will be appreciated under.

What in the blue fuck, I'm totally sure I already replied to this one.

Anyway, wanted I wanted to say is that your question will most likely be answered this E3. Personally, I still think id's not going to pursue a plot after Final Doom or even Doom 2. The idea of remaking Doom 1 is the best one for me. That way you can reintroduce the whole UAC fiasco and the impending terror.

Then the question remains: Will id do another Doom 2 after this new Doom game if it turns out to be a recreation of Doom 1?

What in the blue fuck, I'm totally sure I already replied to this one.

What the hell is a blue fuck and he just said that the search engine was gone (so he couldnt find your last post on this issue).

-----
Personally, I think that doomX will be farther into the future than the original doom series - perhaps by a hundred or more years.

Flynn Taggart will be long dead, the fighting will be farther out in space (interstellar - outside the solar system) than it was before, and the marines will have lotsa cool new toys.

So based on this it wouldnt be feasible to make a transition DM level series.

As for you - you're entitled to your own opinion.

-----
I think any sequal to doom3 (omg! doom4!, four times the terror!) should be done by an outside company than iD too - just in case iD approves the storyline and the game flops, they wont take any flak from it (maybe a little).

After doom3 becomes a success iD employees will pretty much be able to live out thier lives in sri lanka, drinking heavily and throwing massive parties. Or the coders could retire into a more productive line of work like astrophysics and the artists and the soundguys could follow the designers on a holy pilgrimage to idaho (ok, this has gone far enough).

I ask, what could iD possibly follow up on after doom3?

Theres doom series, wolfenstien series, and quake series. Quake 4 will probably be a flop, wolfenstien 3 has already came out (and i dont want to see another one of those). As far as sequels go, doom 4 would probably be a flop too (it's a growing exponential curve, 4th in a series means 16 times as hard to make a good game out of than the original).

I got it, maybe they should restart work on the quest game. That one rolplaying engine that would supposedly be designed with the gameplayer in mind... or did thay can that one already...

Theres doom series, wolfenstien series, and quake series. Quake 4 will probably be a flop, wolfenstien 3 has already came out (and i dont want to see another one of those). As far as sequels go, doom 4 would probably be a flop too (it's a growing exponential curve, 4th in a series means 16 times as hard to make a good game out of than the original).

Wolfenstein 3???
When did that thing come out?
I only heard about RtCW, but that's not a sequel (if it was it would be Wolfenstein 2), it's a remake - and last I heard, id are planning to make a sequel to RtCW it seems.

Like Zaldron said, Nerve is working on that multiplayer title and I'm sure that there are other possibilities for id to come up with something new AFTER this new Doom game.

And you think "Doom 3" will take place further out in the future than the older Dooms? Judging from the Macworld video, I think not as the Doomguy is in that movie - I don't think id's modelers and artists would throw hours of work away, especially not with these overcomplicated models that are in the new game.
And my own opinon is that I think it would suck if the new game was set further out in the future, as it would likely mean that the game would have much less in common with the older games (different weapons - none of the old weapons, which I wouldn't accept; entirely different storyline - no UAC anymore; differently looking marine combat suits; the list goes on).
Bottom line: I want the new game to have as much in common with the older games (conceptwise and storywise) as possible and I doubt id would be able to make a story taking place more than a lifetime after Doom 2, which wouldn't somehow throw some (if not all) of the old aspects away.

If you really wanna split hairs, you's say RtCW was Wolfenstein 5. Wolf3D and SoD would be 3 and 4, respectively. The original, 2-D, top down, four-color Castle Wolfenstein would be the first one, and the second one would be its sequel (I forget what it's called, the one where you blow up Hitler and his ministers).

You could also say that, since the Castle Wolfenstein games, the Wolf3D games, and RtCW all come from different developers, all have a different feel, and all tell the same story, that they're not truly a "series".

Anyway, I'm an asshole. Back on topic.

After DOOM, id shouldn't be thinking about rehashing anything. What are they going to do ? Son of Commander Keen ? Doom 8: Mission to Moscow ? Hovertank 2: Now With Textures ?

id should sit down and have a long talk with their designers about going off into a new genre, or at least attempting to bring some new elements into this one.

Doom 4, wolfenstein 3, what the fuck is happening, is it 2007 already? Lets goto the stores! I hate taking my winter nap, and not noticing how time flys by

IMJack said:

If you really wanna split hairs, you's say RtCW was Wolfenstein 5. Wolf3D and SoD would be 3 and 4, respectively. The original, 2-D, top down, four-color Castle Wolfenstein would be the first one, and the second one would be its sequel (I forget what it's called, the one where you blow up Hitler and his ministers).

The one where you're to blast Hitler to Hell is Beyond Castle Wolfenstein.
Anyway, SoD is not a sequel, it's a [/b]prequel[/b](which theoretically speaking would make it a "Wolfenstein 3d 0"), and furthermore, SoD is a mission pack or, what Ultimate Doom E4 is to the original Doom 1.

And looking at the future, I hope id makes something new - perhaps a REAL sequel to Quake 1 (as long as it ain't called Quake V - I'm tired of that name!).

IMJack said:

You could also say that, since the Castle Wolfenstein games, the Wolf3D games, and RtCW all come from different developers, all have a different feel, and all tell the same story, that they're not truly a "series".

Anyway, I'm an asshole. Back on topic.

are you talking about the wolfenstein-related series that it used to be free and downloadable from download.com? I remember i have downloaded the full version of that series (not warez, it was completely legal on download.com)...not quite sure what it was called, new wolfenstein? wolfenstein 2? anywayz, all i remember from that game were those white suit soldiers, a grenade launcher, 2 handed pistols and all that. Has anyone seen that game? Too bad that I don't have it anymore, I got rid of it.

999cop said:

are you talking about the wolfenstein-related series that it used to be free and downloadable from download.com? I remember i have downloaded the full version of that series (not warez, it was completely legal on download.com)...not quite sure what it was called, new wolfenstein? wolfenstein 2? anywayz, all i remember from that game were those white suit soldiers, a grenade launcher, 2 handed pistols and all that. Has anyone seen that game? Too bad that I don't have it anymore, I got rid of it.

Umm, no... Castle Wolfenstein was a Commodore 64 game made by MobyGames from 1984. You had only a pistol, but you could steal a bulletproof vest from a dead SS guard (if you shot him in the head). You had to steal the secret plans and get out of Castle Wolfenstein alive. This was the game that inspired Wolf3D.

Damn right it was, and Wolf3d was originally supposed to be a more "sneaky" game, where you could drag bodies, steal uniforms and perform tasks more complex than just running around and gunning down stuff - they changed it because they found that the run-and-gun gameplay was much more fun.

i agree with that id should stop working on their old franchise for a while (DOOM,Wolf,Quake,and even Keen).their new CO-OP game sounds really promising.well ,should they move away from FPS genre?maybe yes and no.i'd like to see a FPS/RPG hybrid project.maybe DeusEX developer has pioneered that field already.but i still see many things that can be added to gameplay.

The truth is, nobody has a clue as to what the new Doom will be like. I'd say it'll probably have very little to do with the original. Why remake Doom 1 2 or whatever. This is a new evolutionary step in engine and game design and the storyline should follow in that fashion. I agree the New Doom will be set in the Doom universe and some of the characters will remain but to re-make a classic withthe same storyline? Unlikely to say the least. Maybe id will prove me wrong but I feel this game will be a totally new game, storyline and all. Regarding combining FPS with something else is maybe a little strange. id have pioneered the FPS. They are without a doubt the kings of the genre. Why should Mercedes or BMW start making skateboards? It's not what they do.However, single player is a totally different universe to mp. Quake 2-3 veered away from the true talent that id have in scaring the shit out of people and its time to get back to the good-stuff. I think thats what Carmack wants. The next game whatever it is will most definitly be a FPS because thats what they do. Think, how much has the First Person type game advanced?
Some but not very much if you ask me. The new Doom will be an evolutionary step in this direction.I think this is what Carmack is pushing for.

I agree the New Doom will be set in the Doom universe and some of the characters will remain but to re-make a classic withthe same storyline? Unlikely to say the least.

And how's that unlikely? The original Doom's storyline was actually rather interesting, it just wasn't presented all that well - id could add lots of nuances to the old story, just as they did with the old Wolf3d story when they made RtCW.

So I don't see your point.

IMJack: hey i finally remember what game it was that was on my mind, it was called "Beyond wolfenstein II", used to be downloadable at download.com, not illegal