Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Who remembers XIII?
One of the most underrated games ever. A lot of people forget about this masterpiece. Even the people who made it (still waiting for a sequel).
Been thinking about buying a PS2 from Ebay and sticking this bad boy in for a few days. So many good times were had whilst playing this, not just me, but my friends too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yTNf3KYspE

Heh really? It was fun but didn't leave much of an impression afterwards with me.

I remember loving the comic/graphic style of the game but nothing else was really notable to me. I was more of a Timesplitters fan.

I played it. It was pretty cool at the time, though mostly for the styling. Shame there was no XIV, considering how the game ended. :P

Xaser said:

I played it. It was pretty cool at the time, though mostly for the styling. Shame there was no XIV, considering how the game ended. :P

Read the comics to see more!

.. note that I haven't played the game and don't know how it ended. Another title that I should pick up at some point.

my oldest brother gave me his PS2 and a bunch of games. I haven't used it for anything other than playing a bit of Grand Theft Auto 3 and Twisted Metal Black and watching DVDs. XIII is in the lot of games he gave me, but I haven't bothered to give it a shot yet. Besides the comic book art, what's special about it?

Funny, I just watched a few videos on this game. The game itself looks kinda of meh, but I really like the style of it and was planning on maybe getting it for PC or at least I was until I read about he CD shit you had to do. I might get a console version though.

XIII is a game that was, sadly, style over substance - it looked awesome, and I loved the music (would love to figure out how to play the music outside the game), but the game has numerous forced-stealth missions and absolutely bullshit moments that make the game's reliance on checkpoint saves all the more painful.

Wish I could find the patience to give it one more shot; I certainly loved a good chunk of it...

It was released on PC as well. I'm sure you guys don't need to buy a PS2 just to relive your memories.

While it didn't do a *ton* to stand out, it had a couple of really notable qualities.

First off, it used the comic-book trappings to practical effect by allowing you to see the "tap tap tap" of your enemy's boots if you kept still for a bit. The audiovisual usage of the medium was an insightful one, and a leap that I doubt many developers would go for.

Secondly, the delivery of the plot was rather novel, and made good use of narrative perspective.

The stealth itself was passable, though the gunplay never had quite the level of tactile feedback that I look for. It was mediocre in the moment-to-moment, but excellent in ways I wish we saw more often.

Don't bump long-dead threads without an exceptionally good reason. Actually, let's translate that to keep things simple for our newer and more innocent members: just don't bump old threads.