Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NiTROACTiVE

Is There a Doom Font Generator Using Font From The Game?

Hey guys, I recently thought up of a question that I would like to ask you. I was wondering if there is a font generator that generates words using this font:

I want to make the level titles that appear on the intermission screen after you beat a level. They appear using the white font in that picture I showed you and would say things like Entryway. I'm able to make the level titles manually with Paint.net, but I wonder if there's a generator that makes the job faster.

So is there a font generator that will generate words with these letters or not?

Doomword isn't perfect. The default fonts are hardcoded in and you get too large of a gap between letters (Doom's stitched the ends of each together to form 1 pixel of border, not 2).

I actually use ZDoom along with HudMessage to print out the desired text, then take a screenshot of it at 320x200. Lame and hacky, but it actually produces slightly better results. :P

Doom Bitmap Fonts by GreyGhost.

Bitmap Font Writer for writing with those fonts.

Supports changing spacing (to get that tight Doom lettering Xaser mentioned), xy offsets, etc. for accurate Doom font reproduction.

I recommend it!

EDIT: Put together a demonstration pic to prove this is the end-all solution for doom font writing. Note that if you DON'T use a hyphen in your text, like this example, that "60 seconds of editing" is not required, bringing it down to a whopping zero.

Oooh, that's nifty. The link to the font is dead, though.

Gonna give this a try soon anyhow. Might put together some fonts for Hacx too.

Xaser said:

Oooh, that's nifty. The link to the font is dead, though.

Works fine for me. Just tested it.

In any case, send me a PM with your email and I can send it over.

Nick Perrin said:

Doom Bitmap Fonts by GreyGhost.

Bitmap Font Writer for writing with those fonts.

Supports changing spacing (to get that tight Doom lettering Xaser mentioned), xy offsets, etc. for accurate Doom font reproduction.

I recommend it!

I tried this out and it works great! I'm going to use this to make the level titles fpr my ucoming megawad (some of you know this already), and I have the settings as -1 for Spacing and 7 for Space Widith. So thank you Nick Perrin for this, and thank you GreyGhost for your fonts.

If I'd known about this before, it would have saved me so much time making CWILV patches...

That said, as was suggested earlier, this program combined with GreyGhost's mixed-graphics font doesn't completely eliminate the need for a graphics editor. For one thing, there's a one-pixel gap at the top and bottom I haven't found a way to eliminate without a graphics editor even if the offsets are both set to 0 and the Line Space has the top and bottom lines stitched together. For another thing, my "house style" calls for six-pixel spaces for large letters and two-pixel spaces for small ones, and unless I missed something (I know the proper Line Space and Space Width for both fonts otherwise), you can't have both at the same time.

Still, in the long term, this program and those fonts will make those patches a lot faster for me to create. Thank you!

You can't mix colours either, but I don't mind copy/pasting to a graphics editor for final assembly.