Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
yellowmadness54

Scariest monster you fought in any WAD?

I thought of this question while playing Armageddon. For me, it is easily the damned "eyesores". They're fast, typically in the dark, hard as hell to kill, make awful noises, and are ugly as hell.
When I was first slaughtered by this thing, I leaped from my chair. It was by far the ugliest, scariest thing I've ever seen in DOOM, especially in comparison to the Halloween Masks-O-Doom in ghouls forest.

Now discuss.

The Decompress Daemon in STRAIN. It's so scary they didn't even include it in any of the maps. But it is there in the wad.

Grazza said:

The Decompress Daemon in STRAIN. It's so scary they didn't even include it in any of the maps. But it is there in the wad.

After reading about it in the Ricrob interview, I was half-tempted to summon it out of morbid curiosity, but never took the time to figure it out. It would have been an interesting experiment! Maybe someone will resurrect it if STRAIN ever gets a 2.0 (an intriguing tribute project, at least from my point of view).

I don't really remember being scared. If I had to say something probably the baron of hell on E1M8. I owned Doom on the Atari Jaguar so by the time I met a Cyberdemon I was too old to be scared.

The Afrit in Scythe 2. The Evil Marine was more frustrating than scary.

Demon in E1M4. Cybie in E2M8. I still jump from seeing these monsters at unexpected moments, every now and then.

When I first started playing doom (which was when I was about 4) I was playing plutonia I first saw the hell knight It scared me so much I quit the game straight away

Wasn`t there this creepy wad where you had to kill deformed, running asses on two legs that made disturbing noises and threw all kinds of disgusting stuff at you? I think it was posted here a year ago or something. Maaaan was it creepy.

DoomQuaker said:

The Tchernobog and that ghost with a Scythe in Psycophobia

Those enemies were originally from the Blood game.

Hiya.

For me, it wasn't a DOOM monster...it was a Heretic one. The Disciples really creeped me out. Not their look, but the strange noise their magic-missle-attack made, and, most importantly, the eery "low-tone chanting" they say. That chanting still puts me on edge. Must be the tone or pitch or something, but it *still* gives me a shiver down my spine every now and then!

those fuicking jitter skulls, and some other wierd shitto with spiderlegs and a molested smiling face.

first time I played DOOM when I was 5 the Imps scared me, nut then , i got through it and the barons of hell with DOOM95 engine, they gave me nightmares, and became ghosts in the dark, I had such imagination that time to time I expreienced them as something new every time, they transformed every fking time oO

but first time I actually fought a cacodemon by myself was in PSX DOOM, E2M1 i think, dude in that dark secret room with the plasmagun, I screamed when I saw it shooting at me covering the entire screen ( damn lucky I made it trough :P )

it suprises me how envoriments can make teddy bears and cute bunnies scary Oo

MSPaintR0cks said:

Wasn`t there this creepy wad where you had to kill deformed, running asses on two legs that made disturbing noises and threw all kinds of disgusting stuff at you? I think it was posted here a year ago or something. Maaaan was it creepy.

Community Is Falling 3 (Based off of Po'ed)

Grazza said:

By name it sounds like a player punishment measure ("You shouldn't have done this. Now you die!!"). I don't know the monster though.

printz said:

By name it sounds like a player punishment measure ("You shouldn't have done this. Now you die!!"). I don't know the monster though.

Basically, it was their way of simulating decompression on the lunar base.

I don't think any monster in any DOOM or DOOM-related game has ever scared me. There have obviously been times where some took me by surprise, but scary? Not really. The big fang-demon things in Heretic are probably as close as it gets (the ones that breathe fireballs from a distance, starting in E2M1). Intimidating? Sometimes... the original Spider Mastermind was pretty intimidating back in the day, Icon Of Sin was somewhat intimidating, and yeah, those damn flying sorcerers in Heretic are dreadful at first. Some of the custom monsters people have made are rather memorable in this way, but out of them all, The Source in TUTNT is by far the most intimidating enemy I've ever seen... and not because it's particularly scary, but because it just towers over you while its minions stalk you and the haunting music plays. Most epic final boss fight ever, but not really all that "scary". I've yet to be terrified by a DOOM game. Challenge posed. :)

Speaking of grotesque/disfigured monsters, this was the result of still-unpolished sprite rendering code in (very) early Mocha Doom tests builds.

Avoozl said:

Those enemies were originally from the Blood game.

I remember the Tchernobog but totally forgotten about the Ghost!

When I fought Illus from Armageddon invasion the first time I wasn't sure what the fuck it was or how it was killing me, I honestly found those things much more creepy than "eyesores" which seem like another Ghoul than anything else.

Shadows are kinda spooky, first encountered them in ZPack and the weird noises they made along with their fast blurry movement threw me off.

Basically, shadowy ghost things are scary to me. So the Spectre in Doom is the only thing that still bothers me when playing. You try dealing with them in 320x200 software, they became nearly damn impossible to see depending on where you're at and the surrounding textures / light level.

Either the Arch-vile or The Cyberdemon. Such great monsters, got the adrenaline pumping when I was younger **

Relic said:

Either the Arch-vile or The Cyberdemon. Such great monsters, got the adrenaline pumping when I was younger **

exactly. fighting the cyber stroller style was sheer terror, because he can splatter you in one hit. i backed off to the other end of the map, firing a stream of plasma until i ran out of ammo or got hit because it obscured my view.

the vile - i just didn't get it first that i had to break LOS with the fire in his hands. or that he could see me through that grate in his courtyard on map11. damn thing, hits me although i dodge. i ran out to the central ring, trying to snipe him with the pistol from here, not even daring to approach the stairs again.

kmxexii said:

Maybe someone will resurrect it if STRAIN ever gets a 2.0 (an intriguing tribute project, at least from my point of view).

There's nothing to stop people making maps that are designed to work with STRAIN. No permission needed, as you don't have to include any of the STRAIN resources in your wad - it just needs to be designed to be loaded together with the STRAIN wad (and deh). If a few maps like that get made and people like them, then it could grow into a larger project.

Something similar can be done with Hacx, but I only know of a few maps, and only one (Dataville) was single-player.

Diabloists. Obnoxious, overpowered Arch-vile replacements. Same applies to the Scourge custom boss on R667 as well.

Grazza said:

Do you have any links to view this monster? :)

yellowmadness54 said:

It was by far the ugliest, scariest thing I've ever seen in DOOM, especially in comparison to the Halloween Masks-O-Doom in ghouls forest.

I have to say, the only monster that made me jump was the ghoul in the first Ghoul's Forest. Doesn't have the same impact in the sequels. Bear in mind that my first experience of Doom was in a series of well-lit university computer rooms without sound. And the original monsters are pretty cartoonish; you can see the creative team transitioning from the cute designs of Commander Keen to the relatively hellish monsters of Doom II before your very eyes.

In fact I've always been struck by the clash of styles in the two Doom games. The Cacodemon doesn't belong in the same game as the Revenant, for example. The Cacodemon's a big brightly-coloured grinning cartoon face, the Revenant looks like one of the Robocop II prototypes from, er, Robocop II. This chap:
http://www.moviepropcollectors.com/magazine/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/RoboCop2Skel.jpg

My enduring memory of Doom II was that everything was dark brown. And Quake was dark brown and purple.

Pain Elemental's from DooM 64. These absolutely terrify me, not only because of their appearance but because they spawn two Lost Soul's.