Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Katamori

What are you playing now?

@aldiboronti - I don't mind slaughtermaps, actually...as long as the layouts aren't too mazelike. Levels that feature excessive switch hunting are the absolute bane of my patience. Back on topic of Eviltech, I didn't mind the slaughtermap aspect of Map11, but knowing where to go was the only difficult issue for me. (Still, none too bad compared to, say, Map20 of Alien Vendetta.)

Even if you don't like the Eviltech maps after map 11, you should take a look at map 32 - it's basically sending you through the architectural highlights of all three Doom episodes in one level. It's also a huge map due to that ofc, but I have never seen anything like it. I am really curious about the other two secret maps now, especially "Nostromo".

I've just finished DTWID Episode 1. I found most maps until E1M7 to be dark, slimy techbases, but E1M7 was finally frightening, with bigger, more threatening ambushes. I'll probably like Episodes 2 and 3 more, just like how I did in vanilla Doom. I've played a bit through E3 and found it truly outstanding, way better looking than original Inferno, which was mishmash-y.

Unfortunately I'm stuck to either choosing Ultra-Violence or Nightmare, no -fast, because I'm playing vanilla Doom and I'm treasure hunting (going for 100% secrets). And for that, as well as continuity, I have to save. And saving/loading with -fast (but not Nightmare) is unstable.

I've looked through DTWID.TXT and found none of the 27 maps as contributed by 40oz, and I'm surprised. Did he quit the project, or what?

printz said:

I've looked through DTWID.TXT and found none of the 27 maps as contributed by 40oz, and I'm surprised. Did he quit the project, or what?

A boatload of maps were submitted to the project, enough for almost three separate megaWADs. I recall seeing a tentative list for the second megaWAD, to be compiled by Xaser, but I can't find it.

Sometime in the near future, I'll be updating this thread with a complete archive of submissions and a "DTWID Take Two" mapset of sorts, featuring a selection of runner-ups. There were plenty of cool maps that haven't officially seen the light yet, and that needs to change. Soon. ;)

Sadly, phobosdeimos1 passed away recently (who I recall had maps listed in the second take). According to Xaser, his works will see a separate, posthumous release. I assume this delays production on the runners-up project.

I'm playing DTWID too, played upto E2M2. I like the maps but they don't seem much more id than say Classic Episode or Fava Beans. From memory of those 2 anyway. All the maps are too long in comparison to the originals but I've not played a bad map yet and Essel's have some top moments - love the start of E2M2.

Playing the first Death Tormention currently, nice design but too much health, even easier than Thy Flesh Consumed. I presume the sequels get a lot harder.

NightFright said:

Even if you don't like the Eviltech maps after map 11, you should take a look at map 32 - it's basically sending you through the architectural highlights of all three Doom episodes in one level. It's also a huge map due to that ofc, but I have never seen anything like it. I am really curious about the other two secret maps now, especially "Nostromo".

My curiosity piqued I took a look at Map 32 but not far into it a massive host of SchutzenStaffel appeared and ate me for breakfast. Maybe I'll try again when my shattered nerves have healed.

However I am in your debt because in returning to Eviltech I noted in the textfile that the maps again changed character from 21 onwards. Loading up map 21 I played it through and really enjoyed it. I'm up to 23 now and I'm loving the techbase style and not-quite-as-insane enemy count.

Just finished AV Map31. Visually it was great, but I hated the gameplay. The monster placement in the first 2 thirds was boring and repetitive, and suddenly the difficulty spikes once you get to the red part (complete with a demon tearing at your back once you teleport; nearly unavoidable without prior knowledge). It wasn't entirly bad though, there was a nice 1-on-1 duel with a Cyberdemon, but then again, there was also an incredibly boring "peekaboo" fight with one later on.

Also, instant-death teleport traps = not cool

Anyways, I've been really loving AV so far. Map11 replaced SID Map03 as my favorite Doom map, but most of the rest of the stuff is really good too. Maps 4, 12, & 31 are the only ones so far that I didn't think were great, and I wouldn't even call any of them "bad".

Crestfallen was even shorter than I was expecting. Still a very fun map, though, and gorgeous. Finished the first ep of DTWID and I'm pretty happy with it. It really does feel like something id could have done, though I must admit I have slightly more fun when I see something novel from the authors.

Just completed DTWiD Episode 2. Again, most levels felt same-y to me, with lots of BROWN1 and vine-y textures, and huge reliance on windows to make navigation more difficult than it seems on the map.

The challenge level is similar to that of the Serenity episodes (mixed groups of monsters are released in a large room, for you to rocket-launch them).

I think E2M9 was too complex for the way id did, and it

Spoiler

had dubious choice of music, too epic for a mid-game secret level.

E2M5 was a bitch, I had to
Spoiler

commit suicide to restart, in order to access the secret level

I really should have thought about making a universal replacement DEH mod to run vanilla maps with, because by default this is too easy. Hell, I'll probably go through it (I mean Episode 3) using such a mod.

Just embarked on a mission that I've never been able to complete before - Thy Flesh Consumed from Ultimate Doom on UV. E4M2 is a killer, whatever strategy I use I always end up totally fragged and humiliated. This time though I'm going to persevere.

What's the general opinion here on the difficulty of this episode. I speak as someone who can usually complete sub-slaughter wads on UV but this early iwad just throws me every time (which is why I haven't attempted it again in some years).

Dragonsbrethren said:

The first two levels are the hardest in the episode.

That's encouraging. The prospect of the episode getting progressively more difficult was perhaps the main reason I didn't keep coming back until I'd beaten the second level. Once more into the fray!

aldiboronti said:

that fucking fourth episode

E4M1 is BS on UV because there is practically no health to speak of and you don't got enough ammo to kill everything so when you get the blue key KEEP YOUR SHIT QUIET and just run to the exit, no point in alerting the Spectres or triggering the NIN Baron secret.

E4M2 has you trudging through lava too often and the start is ridiculous.

E4M9 branches off E4M2 and is a strangely out of place map considering the theme E4 goes by and isn't very challenging.

E4M3 is kinda tough but you get a lot of supplies so wading through isn't too big of a deal.

E4M4 is hilariously short and easy. Enough said.

E4M5 is kinda like another filler level before things get tough again, not bad.

E4M6 is IMO another hard level, setups can be annoying.

E4M7 is quite short and easy, showing how wildly inconsistent the difficulty of the episode is.

E4M8 is too easy because there is far too many supplies available and out in the open to boot, although it does have some epic action, like the start for instance.

I like E4's theme, I don't care for the IWAD maps that much, easily my least favorite episode out of D1.

printz said:

I think E2M9 was too complex for the way id did, and it

Spoiler

had dubious choice of music, too epic for a mid-game secret level.

What? Are you using Mr. Freeze's music pack?

Edit: Oho, I see what you mean now. I didn't think they changed any of the music up for the release. I was wrong!

I haven't encountered your problem with E2 so far in my playthrough but I have yet to get a rocket launcher early enough and with enough ammo to use it willy-nilly, except specifically for the barons in Toenail's E2M3.

Planet Phobos AKA Phobos Outpost

Surprisingly decent, not the best E1 replacement ever but not flat out terrible either. Levels were rather cramped but I feel this is a D1 tradition and wasn't bothered by it so much though this author's second episode I played earlier today is much better. Questionable inescapable slime pits however, notably the backpack secret on level 2 that I jumped to because lame. The map with 346 monsters was fun to slaughter through. Got a buncha cells near the end but couldn't find the plasma gun.

Just played through SanityV1.wad once more... it's pretty interesting. Just wish it was longer... it ends just as it's getting really good.

printz said:

Just completed DTWiD Episode 2. Again, most levels felt same-y to me, with lots of BROWN1 and vine-y textures, and huge reliance on windows to make navigation more difficult than it seems on the map.

I think I'm on E2M3. I played through E1 again in co-op with my son. While they are good levels it feels like the mappers did not want to give their levels individual identities in case it made them too distinct from the original levels.

Suspended in Dusk, I really like Espi's aesthetics and level design. Back to Basics was another good episode too. I'm gonna play Suspended in Dusk, then Valkiriforce's Reverie megawad.

Cyanosis said:

I like E4's theme, I don't care for the IWAD maps that much, easily my least favorite episode out of D1.

Episode 4 theme is by far my favourite. I really like that sky, those brown textures, the occasional exit into the void (sky floor), the metal gargoyle switches, locked switches, the usage of mid-grates and vertical barriers, the high level of difficulty (lots of barons, cacos and cybers in close ambush) and the uncertainty of where the hell you're supposed to be (resulting in maps with abstract names)... Doom 2 sometimes goes into this territory as well, when it's not about boring fresh techbases, and I like it.

QBoard. A little deception... I thought Quake mappers were able to make more consistent levels. The third one was not bad though.

I'm now up to map12 of Kama Sutra, and here are my thoughs on the maps so far, each in a nutshell.

Map01 - A good start for a first level.
Map02 - The difficulty jumps a little, with those keycard ambushes, but the area with the chaingunners in the slime's most likely the biggest trouble spot.
Map03 - A slight step down in difficulty, and with an interesting hidden area involving a megasphere. Protip: pushing the Hitler picture kills you.
Map04 - A short-but-fun island level, with the tough spot involving the area near the shuttle.
Map05 - A fun cavern/mountain pass level, but near the end, it gets tricky.
Map06 - Short, but somewhat challenging, especially with the cyberdemon near the exit. Yellow keycard ambush was a bit tricky as well.
Map07 - The mancs coming at you all at once can be very tricky, but the first cyber is actually fairly tame. Then, come the cacos and the arachnos followed by the second cyber.
Map08 - A fairly short level, but I don't quite see the premise behind the map's name.
Map09 - The tough part's near the start (out in the streets) with the big-ass ambush after grabbing the megasphere. (not to mention the spiderdemon trying to snipe you from the exit.)
Map10 - The first fairly difficult map, and the cyber fights are all in tight spaces.
Map11 - The really annoying part's near the start, with the chaingunners on you as soon as the level starts. The end of the level, damaging you with barrels after grabbing those megaspheres, is quite a dick move, too.

ALPHA 1 Trilogy

Playing through with a customized D64Stuff mod + spawner, D64 music, a fixed version of this (thanks again GreyGhost), Sigvatr's palette and the Master Levels star sky to complete the scene. Starting the second map, the first one took me nearly an hour to complete. Rough start, dark and scary, my thematics are working nicely for this set.

Cyanosis said:

ALPHA 1 Trilogy

Playing through with a customized D64Stuff mod + spawner, D64 music, a fixed version of this (thanks again GreyGhost), Sigvatr's palette and the Master Levels star sky to complete the scene. Starting the second map, the first one took me nearly an hour to complete. Rough start, dark and scary, my thematics are working nicely for this set.

Alpha 1 Trilogy is MASTERFUL. The third and final map blew my mind the first time I played it.

I'm about halfway through Whispers of Satan. My god do I love Kristian Aro's maps. His architecture and enemy layout always delights me, and I can't wait to see what he cooks up for the hell levels. It's somewhat unfortunate that he contributes the minority of maps. It's not that Paul Corfiatis is a bad mapper, it's just that a lot of his maps tend to... blend together. It reminds me of playing through the Momento Mori 2 maps. Still a fun megawad though.

I'm not sure whether I want to play through Community Chest 1 for the first time or move on to Scythe 2 after this...