Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

What are your opinions on Enemy Territory: Quake Wars?

I was thinking about which Id games I like the most and which I like the least, and then I suddenly remembered this game:

http://www.gamespot.com/enemy-territory-quake-wars/

I then decided that it was probably the worst Id game because I had forgotten it even existed. There are other Id games that I don't really like that much like Wolfenstein-3D and Quake 3, but I still remember them easily just the same. Quake wars however was so utterly bland and boring (it was basically a shitty Battlefield clone with crap graphics even at the time) that I forgot about it quickly after its original release and never really thought about it again.

It is also possible that Id itself doesn't think that highly of the game, because it isn't included in STEAM's Quake collection or the Id super pack even though all of the other Quake games are.

Does anyone still remember or even play this game? What were your thoughts on it at the time and what are they now?

Discuss.

Multiplayer is dead and is its only reason to be played, why would they include it (although I'd like to try it once)? Also, it's a Splash Damage game for id, just like Wolf:ET. They did Brink last year and the multiplayer quickly died too despite some potential because of poor support.

Technically it has interest because of experiments on the idtech4 engine with the megatexture. I think someday this will add much more to the gaming experience (in Rage for instance, despite its poor resolution it was great at texturing huge places while not being too tiled/repetitive).

I have the ps3 port, and it is god-awful.

It lags like hell, the graphics are all blurry and shit. There is no one playing it online whatsoever. I think I once got into a game with one other person, but that was it. There is a single player mode, but it's just multiplayer with bots as far as I can tell.

As for the PC version. I tried it at a friend's house and it was good fun, mainly because there was actually people playing it. :L Not really a fan of games with massive open battlefields though, but I enjoyed this one. Using the jetpack with the grenade launchers was probably the highlight for me.

(it was basically a shitty Battlefield clone with crap graphics even at the time)

Not really. It was based on W:ET mechanics, and first Battlefield game was out in 2002 (W:ET came out in 2003, but development began alongside with RtCW, that came out in 2001). Graphics were good, not worse than Battlefield 2172 or what was its number. Besides, game had good art style of fighting forces, Strogs looked very cool. GDF had appearance of US forces, largest vehicle was tank, and they had assault helicopter.

In my opinion, main reason of game's failure is dropped support by Splash Damage. That was very stupid move.

If you want to try this game, you can download free demo and play on one map for as long as you want, i think there are still servers. Had very good time with demo.

Here's good things about gameplay:
Engineer can deploy three types of turrets: anti-infantry, anti-vehicle and anti-missile, which protects again artilery (but not against air strikes). FieldOps can choose from three type of deployable artillery, bombarding gun, anti-vehicle patriot-like gun, and nuclear warhead/plasma gun. Oh man, the fun i had bombarding people standing on top of huge hill, with my artillery behind me, in a valley. I think the name of the demo map is Valley too.

Vehicles are fragile, but maps are not that big anyway, so they fit nice. My fav vehicle is jetpack for Strogs.

Everything else is pretty much like in W:ET, you have Soldier, who can use C4 and heavy weapon, Medic, who can resurect, heal, and deploy boxes with health. CovOps, who can use sniper rifle/railgun, use wireless camera/flying little robot and steal appearance of enemy.

Quake wars however was so utterly bland and boring

That's not really an argument. The worst id game is Rage, one reason: health regen.

K!r4 said:

Technically it has interest because of experiments on the idtech4 engine with the megatexture. I think someday this will add much more to the gaming experience (in Rage for instance, despite its poor resolution it was great at texturing huge places while not being too tiled/repetitive).

To be honest, I think consistency is more important than having awesome vistas one moment, only to be assaulted by 7 pixels supposed to represent a wall the next. Not to mention the extreme amount of visual artifacts and bugs (Which apparently still haven't been fixed!?).

I don't know, it feels like they were trying to fix a problem that just wasn't there. I can't remember when I last saw texture tiling in a game - or at least when I last noticed it and broke immersion. Sure, it frees up the need of thinking about the texture memory budget, but what's the point when you end up with textures that look like they were imported from 1998 anyway?

I also really hate how they with megatexture abandoned practically everything that's dynamic in nature. The lighting is static and needs to be compiled. They bought a huge renderfarm to do that job for them and even with that much processing power, it still took hours on end. Compare this to CryEngine 3 where what you see is what you get. No need to compile lighting and bake maps. At least that's what I got from the engine presentation videos.

I see megatexture in its entirety as a failed experiment.
The cons outweigh the pros by far.

As for Quake Wars, I had my fun with it, but it suffered from being a sterile, overbalanced, too contained (read: small and contrived) carbon copy of every other game in the genre. I'd say it was worth the price, but not much more.

I vaguely remember playing the demo version and didn't care if I ever played it again after that. I'm not big on MP stuff anyways and think Quake Live was more interesting.

The demo was okay. I wanted to buy the full game even if it was practically dead, but at the time they had the nerve to still charge $20 for it on Steam. It's since been removed from the store entirely.

Dragonsbrethren said:

The demo was okay. I wanted to buy the full game even if it was practically dead, but at the time they had the nerve to still charge $20 for it on Steam. It's since been removed from the store entirely.

This is one of the big problems I have with multiplayer games.

Unlike single player games you never know if your multiplayer game will still be around years down the line. Its one of the reasons for why I never pay full price for a multiplayer shooter unless its some really big name like Battlefield which I know will have players down the road.

I picked up a new copy for seven bucks, and I enjoyed it somewhat. The players seemed to know what they were doing and were rather goal oriented. I still remember one bout where someone was spawning a turret (for my team) and it ended up landing on top of me and killing me.

Haven't gotten to it recently, but my computer is aged and it doesn't play the game too amazingly well, though sometimes it isn't bad, just kind of relies on the map and/or my ping.

I have a story about this.

I went to best buy the month it came out. There was a Kiosk showing off a new Gateway PC with an OC'd video card, playing Quake Wars. Since Multiplayer was disabled (there was no internet access on the computers for some reason) I decided to play the damned thing in campaign mode or whatever.

5 minutes in, I was destroying literally everything that was considered an enemy. It wasn't even hard to do- halfway through the "mission", I had already oblitherated the opposition and noticed some weird scripting "pop up" of baddies.

People were somehow impressed by my playing, even though it was absolutely boring in every way.

Csonicgo said:

5 minutes in, I was destroying literally everything that was considered an enemy. It wasn't even hard to do- halfway through the "mission", I had already oblitherated the opposition and noticed some weird scripting "pop up" of baddies.

The "campaign" is simply botmatch so it was probably something respawning. Speaks a lot about how memorable the game was.

hardcore_gamer said:

I didn't like Quake 3 or ETQW

Maybe multiplayer FPSes just aren't your bag.

Myself, though I consider Q3A to be id's second greatest game and will argue it's defense into eternity, I never really got into ETQW. I've had a physical copy sitting on my shelf for years that I've played maybe once or twice. Besides a wicked art direction that was missing from Quake 4, it left me feeling rather indifferent.

I enjoyed ET:QW. It was a suitable update to Wolfenstein Enemy Territory, though it too should have been free like its predecessor. Is probably why it didn't garner as much support.

I still play the demo online sometimes since few people still play it and there are still dedicated servers for it.

Edit: Also I have xbox360 demo on a demo disc. But here's the thing: Online multiplayer still works but the demo is no longer available on Xbox Live marketplace which makes it impossible to find people in it.