Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Acid

Single Most Iconic thing from Doom

.The Weapons: Most of them became staples in almost every FPS going today and ones that didnt end up being incredibly memorable anyway (BFG)
.Mods: Wolfenstein 3D had them to a certain degree but Doom really opened the floodgates for moddability, again became a staple for so many games afterwards.
.Online Multiplayer: The first FPS game to really make multiplayer a viable and exciting option.
.Gore in videogames: Along with Mortal Kombat, the first videogame to really take gore to the mainstream.

The most influential game of all time, bar none.

I would the cheats 'IDDQD' and 'IDKFA' have became one of the most iconic, well known cheats in video game history.

bones58 said:

I would the cheats 'IDDQD' and 'IDKFA' have became one of the most iconic, well known cheats in video game history.

Pretty sure Konami has them beat by a big margin.

qoncept said:

Pretty sure Konami has them beat by a big margin.

TBQH I never heard of the "Konami code" before the Age Of The Internet, and then pretty late at that: 2007 or so. And that's from someone who was into arcade games since 1986.

I guess it depends on what games/systems one was exposed to: I mostly played on home computers, arcades and then on PC (MS-DOS), while home game consoles of any time were a rare item. Most people I know had a PC as their primary (and often only) gaming system.

Until 1989 Nintendo didn't have an official dealership in Greece, but there were only Ataris and Famiclones around. Of course, almost no computer/video game magazines handled console games or had dedicated tips until 1989, where there was also a Greek edition of Nintendo power. So everything Nintendo tended to be somewhat obscure....

DeathevokatioN said:

The Icon of Sin? :)

I can't believe it took three pages for this to happen.

Moddability, infighting, the HUD face and opening viewpoint of E1M1 and MAP01.

Maes said:

TBQH I never heard of the "Konami code" before the Age Of The Internet, and then pretty late at that: 2007 or so. And that's from someone who was into arcade games since 1986.

I guess it depends on what games/systems one was exposed to: I mostly played on home computers, arcades and then on PC (MS-DOS), while home game consoles of any time were a rare item. Most people I know had a PC as their primary (and often only) gaming system.

Until 1989 Nintendo didn't have an official dealership in Greece, but there were only Ataris and Famiclones around. Of course, almost no computer/video game magazines handled console games or had dedicated tips until 1989, where there was also a Greek edition of Nintendo power. So everything Nintendo tended to be somewhat obscure....

Wow, I wonder how Greece was able to avoid Nintendo's wrath so long.. Just about every retailer that sold any kind of electronics sold them here in the states. So there's the exposure.

I know a handful of people who have played as much Doom as I have. Other than those people, I'd guess most people either don't know or only have a vague idea of what Doom is. But everyone I know must know what Contra is. Hard to imagine it any other way.

hydraulic door opening sound, heard it lot in scifi films in the 90's. Always reminded me from DOOM.