Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
allied

Help me boys!

Hi!

Look, Im a chick, and I grew up with my younger brother playing all doom games. I recently bought the ultimate doom off ebay and it doesn’t work. I know you said don’t post threads about how windows hates playing doom.

Ive downloaded dos box.

I then did this:

Mount c c :\doom_se

It then comes up saying:

enter c:\

then down to the executable file

Did all that right down to the part where the game appears to be activated but when it comes to the wad file (whatever that is) it just keeps putting heaps of fullstops on my screen.

Im crying!

Cant play my doom

xox

Welcome to Doomworld!
First of all stay calm, this is all simple stuff.
Second, I'd recommend getting a Sourceport called Boom, it is platform to run Doom on standard (Xp, Vista, 7) OS's with same feel as if playing on DOS 95/98.
--> site http://prboom.sourceforge.net/

If you want to get any deeper into full customized maps/level sets that Boom can't play, zdoom.org for Sourceport Zdoom, it has less limitations and run most player made maps created.
Based off ZDoom engine Skulltag, is a multplayer based Sourceport but also runs a lot of Wads (Zdoom included) but may have issues if there are similar sprites that Skulltag has already. http://www.skulltag.com/

With these ports I have listed, all you have to do is Drag and drop player made maps and it'll run automatically. Place Doom.wad /Udoom.wad in the same folder as the port and only have to click the .exe to play the standard Iwad (Main file).

Your best bet is playing with a source port! They are very easy to use! If you want a more classic experience I'd suggest Chocolate Doom! All you need to do is download it, grab the DOOM.WAD file from your doom directory and put it in the Chocolate Doom folder!

I hope that helps! There are many other Doom ports you can play around with, all which have different strengths and weaknesses. Check 'em out! I'd suggest these:

* ZDoom is one of the more popular ones, mostly for more modern modders, which adds a lot of new features to the core game.

* Skulltag which is an offshoot of ZDoom that specializes in multiplayer, giving a lot of new gameplay modes akin to Quake III Arena or Unreal Tournament.

* If you want some updated graphics there's another ZDoom offshoot called GZDoom and another separate port called Doomsday, though Doomsday can be a little complicated and might take a lot of tweaking to get it to look decent.

There's plenty others that are worth mentioning, but those are the ones I'm most familiar with. Good luck!

Source ports aren't going to help if the game isn't even installed yet. Type cycles max in DOSBox and just let it run a while when it gets to doom.wad. That's going to be the longest part of the installation. When it's done the setup program should pop up automatically; select general MIDI for music (accept the default port), sound blaster for sound (again everything should be fine by default), configure controls and play.

All that you said is double dutch. Im gonna try dechiphering every sentence, then understand the sentance. :-)

I appreciate the response, i'll let u know tomorrow if it works, its anzac day here in australia and im pissed as a newt.

xox

allied said:

Did all that right down to the part where the game appears to be activated but when it comes to the wad file (whatever that is) it just keeps putting heaps of fullstops on my screen.

Those fullstops are nothing to worry about, the installer uses them as progress indicators while unpacking files. It sounds like you've copied the install files to your hard drive which is OK, saves having to mount the CD/DVD drive. Follow Dragonsbrethren's instructions and be prepared to wait a bit, being an emulator means DOSBox is bound to be slower than you're used to seeing your PC running.

Nomad said:

Doomsday can be a little complicated and might take a lot of tweaking to get it to look decent.

Really? What do you need to tweak and why?

Dragonsbrethren said:

Source ports aren't going to help if the game isn't even installed yet.

Isn't it only necessary to have the Iwad saved? And correct me if I'm wrong, but I just got it off the disc without using DOSbox. Then straight to source ports.

Yeah, I've only installed Doom once on my desktop before my first reformat. Since then I've only used the IWADs for the sourceports...

allied said:

but when it comes to the wad file (whatever that is) it just keeps putting heaps of fullstops on my screen.

By that, you mean the "Init Refresh Daemon" progress-bar thing?

Krispy said:

Isn't it only necessary to have the Iwad saved? And correct me if I'm wrong, but I just got it off the disc without using DOSbox. Then straight to source ports.

I'm pretty sure the original Ultimate Doom release still deiced the files. I could be wrong, I never owned it.

If I recall (can't verify cause my cd drive is dead), the Ultimate Doom CD came with the Doom95 setup and the old deice setup. You should be able to pull the doom.wad off the CD without having to run any installation programs.

EarthQuake said:

If I recall (can't verify cause my cd drive is dead), the Ultimate Doom CD came with the Doom95 setup and the old deice setup. You should be able to pull the doom.wad off the CD without having to run any installation programs.

Allied, if that's the case, you should be able to simply download a source port such as Zdoom or Skulltag, then follow the instructions on how to get them to work.

Nup. Tried zdoom, chocolate doom, tried writing cycles max in dos box, just asked if i wanted to overwrite all these files.

Why cant it just be straight forward!

I just wasted 20 bucks on this game. Not everyone is a computer whiz.

When I dragged the wad file over to chocolate doom it said something like cant play the game.

EarthQuake said:

If I recall (can't verify cause my cd drive is dead), the Ultimate Doom CD came with the Doom95 setup and the old deice setup.

Yep - that's the Windows CD, with an IWAD conveniently located in the root directory. I get the impression allied purchased the DOS version, which has deice files in the root directory and unpacked files in a "DOOMCD" directory.

@allied - simple solution. Open the "DOOMCD" folder on your CD (in Windows Explorer) and copy DOOM.WAD to the Chocolate Doom folder on your hard drive. If you haven't already run chocolate-setup.exe, do so and let us know how you get on.

Nomad said:
...and another separate port called Doomsday, though Doomsday can be a little complicated and might take a lot of tweaking to get it to look decent.
[/B]

Uh... what? I only use Doomsday and part of the reason for that is in how simple it is for you to get your game running. I mean, you literally just install it and then load the doom.wad file and click the "play" button... and then all you do every time after that is click the "play" button.

Are you sure DOOM.WAD or DOOM2.WAD is in the SAME directory as the source port you are trying?

The most basic way I can possibly describe this:

Step 1: Extract wad file or otherwise get it. Sounds like you've already done this.

Step 2: Download source port of your choice. For the sake of simplicity, here I'll assume you're using either Chocolate Doom or ZDoom, but most source ports will work similarly.

Step 3: Copy DOOM.WAD to the folder that your source port is in.

Step 4: Double click on your source port icon, and play the game.

That's it.

Also, just to clarify, you won't need DOSBox to run any source port. You would only need to use DOSBox if you tried to run the game in its original engine. Source ports like Chocolate Doom or ZDoom eliminate the need for DOSBox entirely.

Essel's steps are about as simple as you can get. Good luck!

allied said:

Dont worry about it. I've given up. *sob*

Maybe take a break and come back later / on the weekend or somethin' and try it again. Sometimes I find when something won't work, if I give it a rest and come back to it later, it gets figured out.

Running Doom on Windows has been extensively documented already. There's a thread permanently stickied at the top of the forum and you should have been given a big white screen with a link to it when you registered an account. I suggest reading through that - it has step by step instructions and there's even a video to show you exactly what to do.

Oh my God!! I did it! Thank you thank you thank you!! I dont know how i did it but it did it!

You guys are the best. Kisses to each of you.

xoxoxxo