Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jute

Blasphemer 0.14 out now

Blasphemer aims to create a free content package for the Heretic engine, with a theme of metal-inspired dark fantasy. Blasphemer 0.14 has been released. You can get it here: https://code.google.com/p/blasphemer/
It features graphics for another weapon as well as for a monster, as you can see in the screenshot below:

Want to contribute? Here are the contribution guidelines: https://code.google.com/p/blasphemer/wiki/ContributionGuidelines
Here is our roadmap: https://code.google.com/p/blasphemer/wiki/Roadmap
And you can check the wiki to see what resources still need to be completed: https://code.google.com/p/blasphemer/w/list

The project could really use some resources, especially player sprites and HUD weapon sprites, but any maps, sounds, or other sprites would also be greatly appreciated. Make sure you read the contribution guidelines linked above before contributing.

Damn, that's one fine looking new monster!

I really like the Blasphemer project. Freedoom kind of just accepted any style for all of its assets and now it's showing. Blasphemer on the other hand is making sure everything matches, and boy does it show! Also, I like the metal-themed fantasy better than the more vibrant magical fantasy seen in the original Heretic.

Well blasphemer sure looks nice, hell I'd even go as far as saying it looks better than Heretic with its much darker theme, even the weapons look much more appealing than Heretics. As for the new monster it kind of looks out of place like something you would see in Metroid, also I feel it should use a better HUD graphic than what's already present.

That monster does look great.

You know, I think I'd love to make sprites or maps for this! I'd like to make some of the effects sprites, especially. (My ocd drives me nuts when I see the 'null' sprites flying around :P)

Wow, this kicks so much ass. It actually looks better than anything Heretic could throw at me!

Thanks for the support, everyone. Please feel free to check out the contribution guidelines linked above if you'd like to contribute!

Just what is the target executable? A hypothetical limit-removing vanilla-like engine that allows custom text strings? What should the maps be geared towards?

Would it help to listen to some black metal (one of my favourite genres of such) while editing for Blasphemer? (don't count on anything).

printz said:

Just what is the target executable? A hypothetical limit-removing vanilla-like engine that allows custom text strings? What should the maps be geared towards?

See this.

Yes but ZDoom, VaVoom and plain old Heretic+ all offer different capabilities. Maps need to be standard to one choice.

That one choice is "the subset of features that will work as intended in ZDoom, Vavoom, and Heretic+".

You'll notice that the problems listed for these three ports are unrelated to maps themselves -- color effects and message strings are unrelated data.

Maps should target "any limit removing port", they can break visplane limits etc. but shouldn't use any port specific features.

Clarified this in the guidelines.

Hiya.

I guess the next thing...is anyone making a .cfg file for Doombuilder 2 for this? Or is it still too early in the development for anything meaningful?

(yes, I'm a born-again newb...haven't really done any wad editing in YEARS and have forgotten so-o much!....sigh...damn old age kicking in I guess... ;) ).

pming said:

Hiya.

I guess the next thing...is anyone making a .cfg file for Doombuilder 2 for this? Or is it still too early in the development for anything meaningful?

(yes, I'm a born-again newb...haven't really done any wad editing in YEARS and have forgotten so-o much!....sigh...damn old age kicking in I guess... ;) ).

I think the default Heretic .cfg should work fine since it's basically the Heretic IWAD with free graphics and levels.

pming said:

I guess the next thing...is anyone making a .cfg file for Doombuilder 2 for this?

Did one a few years ago for Doom Builder 1.68, though it's basically the Heretic config with some sprites renamed. If there's any interest I'll update it for DB2.

Hi, here's my attempt at sprites for the regular bloodshots.

FX00A0: , FX00B0:

Of course, any modification of these is accepted.

GreyGhost said:

Did one a few years ago for Doom Builder 1.68, though it's basically the Heretic config with some sprites renamed. If there's any interest I'll update it for DB2.

I'd be interested in that, hell I'd be interested in the Doom Builder 1 cfg.

Hiya.

I'd love a .cfg for DB2. I popped open the various .cfg's and it's pretty simple...but time consuming I'm sure. And, being a full time employee and a family, I don't relish spending what little free time I have doing it. So...if you have it partly done and are willing to do it that would be super-hawt awesome-on-awesome action! :)

I'll get started then, first a quick update to the old config. Looks like "Soul Essense" is now "Grail of Lifeblood" and for monster names I'll use what's in the Language lump.

Sprites for the projectiles fired by the new monster by NMN (flying blob):

FX11A0

FX11B0

FX11C0

FX11D0

FX11E0

FX11F0

FX11G0

EDIT: Also posting improvements to my uploaded FX00A0 and FX00B0
FX00A0

FX00B0

I guess it would be possible to compile a custom version of chocolate-heretic for "limit removing" and that also displays custom messages correctly (unlike heretic+). Does that sound like a reasonable target port?

Oh and congrats on the new release! I'll try to convert one of the Doom castle-style maps I've been working on and submit it. Don't expect anything too quickly though, I'm quite slow at mapping and my Internet access is unreliable these days.

Everything about this looks awesome, like a throwback to a 90s FPS. I am not a fan of Freedoom whatsoever, but Blasphemer? Color me interested. Gives me fond memories of discovering Hexen. In fact, if you're going for the Hexen look but the Heretic gameplay that would be perfect.

I second that. Awesome project so far. Keep the strong artistic direction!

printz said:
Sprites for the projectiles fired by the new monster by NMN (flying blob):
EDIT: Also posting improvements to my uploaded FX00A0 and FX00B0

Added. Thanks!

Edit: Put up a new version revision.

hex11 said:
I guess it would be possible to compile a custom version of chocolate-heretic for "limit removing" and that also displays custom messages correctly (unlike heretic+). Does that sound like a reasonable target port?

Yes, but who would edit/maintain it? The messages are subject to change but at least they're a trivial fix; limit removal requires more than hacking a few lines of code though if I'm not mistaken (it's been a long time since I've looked at any of the engine innards). I'm not much of a coder and futzing about with something as archaic as Doom's renderer doesn't exactly appeal to me.