Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Reisal

Torchlight & Torchlight 2

Bloodshedder said:

Yahtzee Video

Well if thats the case then I'll sit here fine and dandy until Diablo 3 comes out, lest I splooge more money on practically the same game

I had a feeling Torchlight was full of the same sort of shitty gameplay ideas that I found entertaining when I was a teenager obsessing over Diablo 1 but got tired of by the time Diablo 2 came out.

Turns out I was right.

Kirby said:

Well if thats the case then I'll sit here fine and dandy until Diablo 3 comes out, lest I splooge more money on practically the same game

Well, sounds like yahtzee just doesn't like the clicky diablo gameplay. If you like diablo, you shouldn't pay attention to his opinion on Torchlight.

Yahtzee makes some good points, and he can be pretty funny while doing it, but I've disagreed with him in the past. For one, I don't think Half-Life 2, Portal, and Psychonauts are the greatest games ever made. Torchlight is a love it or hate it game. It's Diablo: Enhanced basically. If you loved Diablo, you'll love Torchlight. I for one am loving my Fanged Vladmir's Epic Sharpscrap Handgonne of Venom. If you didn't like the point and click dungeon crawler, then you won't like Torchlight. I never finished Diablo 2, which I should, but the enhancements Torchlight made to the Diablo formula are fantastic. I love the introduction of the melee and ranged weapon gameplay. A battle axe in one hand, a pistol in the other, and the ability to switch between two weapon sets at a time is handy. The pet is also a fun addition, yes it can bring goods back to town, but you can also equip it with healing spells, elemental spells, amulets which increase the rate at which you find gold or magic items. All around, I say it's a fun game, and a bargain. I bought it from Runic at $20 and I've never felt cheated, and I didn't just buy it as a hold over for Diablo 3, I bought it because after playing the demo I realized it was fucking fun.

Bucket said:

Bump.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/200710/

Looks like the sequel will implement multiplayer, like I wanted. If they still have "netbook mode", that'll make it a must-buy for me.

Multiplayer has been a known thing for Torchlight 2 for ages and yes, "netbook mode" is still in there. That said, I've not seen it on the Steam store at this point.

I'd get it, but there's still a lot more that I need to do in the original Torchlight, like play as the Vanquisher and the Alchemist. I'm thinking about retiring my Warrior-guy and making a Vanquisher, but I really don't want to lose all of the progress I've made in the infinite dungeon.

I have a vanquisher in Torchlight, I already disenchanted a few unique items which really made me nerd rage.What I like most about the game is the art style even though they blatantly copied the crypt levels from Diablo 3 and the last stage is directly from WoW(it looks a LOT like Bastion of Twilight).Despite that, it's my favorite stage, it looks very nice.

Played Diablo 3 during the weekend beta.It was a total blast.The visuals are stunning, I really like the way they used 2d art, it makes the game look like a painting and the physics and skills are very fun.I am going to roll a wizard.I might make a Witch Doctor too, he has a skill in which he summons a frog that swallows monsters and then spits the skeleton, very cool.

Don't understand why people prefer Torchlight to Diablo 3, it's really not THAT good, especially when compared to D3.

Torchlight was great for what it was. A small, cheap game meant to get a new company up on their feet. Now they're obviously putting a lot more content into the second game. Diablo 3 just has too many questionable decisions to keep me interested, while Runic seems to be doing just about everything right with Torchlight 2.

GeckoYamori said:

Torchlight was great for what it was. A small, cheap game meant to get a new company up on their feet. Now they're obviously putting a lot more content into the second game. Diablo 3 just has too many questionable decisions to keep me interested, while Runic seems to be doing just about everything right with Torchlight 2.

Yeah, Torchlight 2 looks very interesting and I think I'll be getting both games but overall I think D3 looks better, has more interesting classes and I really like killing demons.My only gripe about D3 is the voice acting...it's atrocious, at first I didn't believe Jennifer Hale was Leah.

I don't think there's a reason players couldn't like both games, especially since TL2 will only be 20$.

GeckoYamori said:

Diablo 3 just has too many outright shitty decisions to get me buy it, while Runic seems to be doing just about everything right with Torchlight 2.

FTFY

Jodwin said:

FTFY

Care to elaborate?The game is far superior to D2 where you had one or two builds for a character and the rest were shit.I suppose it's "cool" to hate Blizzard these days.

Before you ask, no I am not a fanboy, there are things that really annoy me in D3, like the downright terrible voice acting and some of the spell effects.

He could be referring to always-online DRM and the auction house nonsense, the former of which is definitely a showstopper for me.

Anyhow, long live Torchlight 2, the real Diablo 2 sequel. P:

I will be checking out Torchlight 2 later this summer, looks like a great sequel.

I found Diablo III to be incredibly fun, having messed around with the closed beta for awhile. I have no issues myself with where they've taken the game. That said, I definitely see the appeal of the Torchlight series, especially on key technical issues like moddability and offline play.

Xaser said:

the auction house nonsense, the former of which is definitely a showstopper for me.

I too long for the days of d2 trade chat spam to find people to trade 80 chipped gems for gear. Because that wasn't a hassle at all.

anyway...

If torchlight 2 can fix the utterly broken skill bullshit from the first game, add some difficulty, tone down on the loot drops just a tiny bit and fix the most egregious fucking problem in torchlight that even the original diablo got right, separating item drop names when you hit alt, it might just be the best arpg ever.

I played Torchlight quite a while ago as the Alchemist, and I'm about done with a second playthrough as the Vanquisher. I just love the game, it's so addicting, and I cannot wait for the sequel this summer. I was planning on getting D3 when I first started hearing about it, but if I understand correctly you have to constantly be connected to the internet to play it, even singleplayer, which is a total dealbreaker for someone who goes to a college where the internet can just stop working at any time. Plus my laptop is kinda crappy and I'd prefer not to shell out a few hundred bucks so I can play the latest greatest games.

Xaser said:

He could be referring to always-online DRM and the auction house nonsense, the former of which is definitely a showstopper for me.

Anyhow, long live Torchlight 2, the real Diablo 2 sequel. P:

Bnet 2 didnt't bother me in SC2, it won't bother me in D3.

The AH is definitely not a nonsense.Would you rather go to some shady 3d party site?All blizz has done is make it legal.Besides, contrary to what most people think, D3 is NOT pay 2 win, there is no competition like in wow.

Oh yeah, it's completely optional too, you can use the gold auction house too if you want.

Aaronjw said:

I played Torchlight quite a while ago as the Alchemist, and I'm about done with a second playthrough as the Vanquisher. I just love the game, it's so addicting, and I cannot wait for the sequel this summer. I was planning on getting D3 when I first started hearing about it, but if I understand correctly you have to constantly be connected to the internet to play it, even singleplayer, which is a total dealbreaker for someone who goes to a college where the internet can just stop working at any time. Plus my laptop is kinda crappy and I'd prefer not to shell out a few hundred bucks so I can play the latest greatest games.

Diablo 3, like all Blizzard games has been optimized to work on very low spec PCs.You'd be surprised how good it looks on low.

I'm a bit embarrassed to say this, but I've never played Diablo 1 or 2. Phantasy Star Online was my first intro to Diablo-style gameplay, while Torchlight is the first overhead hack-n-slash game I've played. That's why I'm a bit more willing to buy Torchlight 2 than Diablo 3, not even considering the huge price gulf between the two.

Xaser said:

These, and the complete removal of character building. Yay, lets dump down our games to appeal to idiots!

Jodwin said:

These, and the complete removal of character building. Yay, lets dump down our games to appeal to idiots!

To the "durr" console kids 14-20 it seems, those too lazy to get a computer :V

Jodwin said:

You still haven't explained WHY you think so...I'm just gonna post these http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4662477428#8

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4662477428?page=3#46

Mr. Chris said:

To the "durr" console kids 14-20 it seems, those too lazy to get a computer :V

I am a PC gamer myself but I really don't understand why people have to insult others who perhaps can't AFFORD a high end PC?Besides, Diablo 3 is clearly a PC game.

Yeah, as far as I can tell, a decent computer is at least as expensive as a console, and that's without a monitor/keyboard/mouse.

stewboy said:

Yeah, as far as I can tell, a decent computer is at least as expensive as a console, and that's without a monitor/keyboard/mouse.

A decent computer won't last as long as a console.A console can run Crysis nowadays but could a decent computer have done that in 2007?